volunteer translators needed

Timothy Falconer-5
Hi partners and friends,

We're looking for a little help with our Waveplace courseware. We're hoping to get it all translated into:

Haitian Creole
French
Spanish
Portuguese

Our funds are limited, so I wanted to know if you have any volunteers who could possibly help in this effort.

Our courseware is located at http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Courseware. So far, the lessons we have finished are:

General-->Basic Etoys (needs outlines and projects translated)
Language Arts-->Storytelling (needs outlines translated)
Mathematics-->Geometry (needs outlines and projects translated)
Science--> Motion (needs projects translated)
Health--> Clean water (unfinished but can translate what projects are finished)
Health--> Malaria (unfinished but can outlines in the meantime)
Technology-->Sugar (needs outlines translated)

As you can see, it's a bit of work. Many things are already translated into Haitian Creole, but not everything.

Please let me know if you can offer any help to us!

Thanks so much!

--
Timothy Falconer
Waveplace Foundation

Re: [support-gang] volunteer translators needed

Chris Leonard-3
Dear Tim,

Pardon the top-posting, but I couldn't help but notice that the one list you didn't include was the Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Localization list, which is perhaps your best avenue to reach our localizers, so I have cc'ed that list on this reply.

I would like to point out that there are still some eToys strings that need completion on our Pootle server in the languages you listed.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/etoys_new/

and there is a great deal of work that is needed on Haitian Kreyol (both Sugar and eToys), but we have not had much luck in recruiting localizers.  Help from Waveplace would be greatly appreciated.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ht/

Warmest Regards,

cjl
volunteeer Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Pootle admin.

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Timothy Falconer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

LASKE, Lionel (C2S)

Hi Timothy,

Of course, OLPC France could help for French translation.

Let me know what you need and how we could help.

Best regards from France.

                Lionel.

Re: [support-gang] volunteer translators needed

Luis Galindo
I can help with the spanish translation, just tell me how.

Greetings from Santa Cruz - Bolivia.

Luis

2011/5/5 LASKE, Lionel (C2S) <[hidden email]>

Hi Timothy,

Of course, OLPC France could help for French translation.

Let me know what you need and how we could help.

Best regards from France.

                Lionel.

Re: [IAEP] [support-gang] volunteer translators needed

mokurai
Copied to Kreyol mailing list.

I can understand that localization in Haiti has stalled since the
earthquake, since most schools that had XOs now have no electricity to
charge them. Illinois Institute of Technology is trying to remedy that
with the design for rooftop solar power systems for Haitian schools, but
they need funding. Anybody have contacts in UNICEF, UNDP, or elsewhere
whom we can talk to?

On Thu, May 5, 2011 11:30 am, Chris Leonard wrote:

> Dear Tim,
>
> Pardon the top-posting, but I couldn't help but notice that the one list
> you
> didn't include was the Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Localization list, which
> is
> perhaps your best avenue to reach our localizers, so I have cc'ed that
> list
> on this reply.

> I would like to point out that there are still some eToys strings that
> need
> completion on our Pootle server in the languages you listed.
>
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/etoys_new/
>
> and there is a great deal of work that is needed on Haitian Kreyol (both
> Sugar and eToys), but we have not had much luck in recruiting localizers.
> Help from Waveplace would be greatly appreciated.
>
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ht/

These were the Sugar localizers.

TA      Bastien Guerry  Pootle: bzg
TRA     Jude Augusma    Pootle: jude
O       Alexander Dupuy         Pootle: Dupuy
TRA     MasterChes      Pootle: Masterches
TRA     lacrete         Pootle: lacrete

> Warmest Regards,
>
> cjl
> volunteeer Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Pootle admin.
>

> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Timothy Falconer
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi partners and friends,
>>
>> We're looking for a little help with our Waveplace courseware. We're
>> hoping
>> to get it all translated into:
>>
>> Haitian Creole
>> French
>> Spanish
>> Portuguese
>>
>> Our funds are limited, so I wanted to know if you have any volunteers
>> who
>> could possibly help in this effort.
>>
>> Our courseware is located at
>> http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Courseware. So far, the lessons we
>> have finished are:
>>
>> General-->Basic Etoys <http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Basic+Etoys>
>> (needs
>> outlines and projects translated)
>> Language
>> Arts-->Storytelling<http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Storytelling>
>> (needs
>> outlines translated)
>> Mathematics-->Geometry <http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Geometry>
>> (needs
>> outlines and projects translated)
>> Science--> Motion <http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Motion> (needs
>> projects translated)
>> Health--> Clean water <http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Clean+Water>
>> (unfinished
>> but can translate what projects are finished)
>> Health--> Malaria <http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Malaria>
>> (unfinished
>> but can outlines in the meantime)
>> Technology-->Sugar <http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Sugar> (needs
>> outlines translated)
>>
>> As you can see, it's a bit of work. Many things are already translated
>> into
>> Haitian Creole, but not everything.
>>
>> Please let me know if you can offer any help to us!
>>
>> Thanks so much!
>>
>> --
>> Timothy Falconer
>> Waveplace Foundation
>> http://waveplace.org
>> + 1 610 797 3100 x33

Edward Mokurai
(&#40664;&#38647;/&#2343;&#2352;&#2381;&#2350;&#2350;&#2375;&#2328;&#2358;&#2348;&#2381;&#2342;&#2327;&#2352;&#2381;&#2332;/&#1583;&#1726;&#1585;&#1605;&#1605;&#1740;&#1711;&#1726;&#1588;&#1576;&#1583;&#1711;&#1585;
&#1580;) Cherlin
http://www.earthtreasury.org/

Re: [support-gang] volunteer translators needed

Chris Leonard-3

A selection of these materials are available for localization via our Pootle server now, with more to come.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/Waveplace/

cjl

[...]

Re: [IAEP] volunteer translators needed

Caroline Meeks
Hi Tim and Beth,

We are training a group of volunteers from the Haitian Coalition in Etoys tomorrow.  We have some practice at teaching Etoys at this point.

How/what would you like me to teach them about translating?

What is the minimum they need to know to start helping you?

Thanks,
Caroline

[...]

Solution Grove
[hidden email]

617-500-3488 - Office
505-213-3268 - Fax

Re: [support-gang] [IAEP] volunteer translators needed

Chris Leonard-3

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Caroline Meeks <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tim and Beth,

We are training a group of volunteers from the Haitian Coalition in Etoys tomorrow.  We have some practice at teaching Etoys at this point.

How/what would you like me to teach them about translating?

What is the minimum they need to know to start helping you?

Thanks,
Caroline

Caroline,

Here are my thoughts (from a L10n process perspective), although Tim or Beth can speak  for Waveplace.

Haitian Kreyol Project on Pootle
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ht/

eToys itself needs more work
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ht/etoys_new/

Waveplace lesson templates for malaria and geometry are available here. (Basic eToys is there, but already translated).
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ht/Waveplace/

Check the Waveplace Courseware wiki page to see if any more templates are available, I think I've got most of them on Pootle now.

The PO files are easily converted to text with po2txt from Translate Toolkit

Quoting from:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Team/Pootle_Projects#Waveplace_Lessons

Waveplace Lessons

These are outlines and materials for Waveplace lessons using eToys.

There are two very important elements of *context* that should be kept in mind when localizing these materials.

1. Each PO file is only part of an overall 10-week lesson plan. You should familiarize yourself with the entire set of materials related to the module you are localizing by reviewing it at the link below.

http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Courseware

2. Many of the directions in these lessons use terms that have specific meaning in eToys or refer to commands / menu items in eToys. You should make sure that the translation of those terms is consistent with the way they are localized in eToys itself to avoid confusion. This can easily be done by searching those terms in the eToys Pootle project.

cjl