using XO1's in Uganda

Joanne Clemente
HI, all
I am again visiting Uganda on Friday for the 4th time.
I have some XO1's installed and will be bringing others.

Question 1
I want to get past the first steps but I am having trouble downloading a book directly to the XO. I can access it from the flash drive, but I want to have it on the XO itself. I used Browse, went to Journal to install, but as soon as I pull out the flash drive, it disappears. Can you help?

Question 2
Please recommend some additional activities that are useful to primary 4-5 grades.
I downloaded labyrinth and tetris (math in Spanish, but it is good) and GCompris.
What are others not requiring programming like Scratch or Etoys.

Question 3
If I want to tell a story using Write and Inserting photos, the photo comes in too large to be useful in a story. I have tried the same in labyrinth using photos or paint, and they always come in too large. The double arrow is slow and useless to modify the size within Write or Labyrinth. Is there a way to make a smaller photo or picture?

Thanks so much!
Joanne