replacement RTC batteries for XO-1 and XO-1.5; which are recommended?

replacement RTC batteries for XO-1 and XO-1.5; which are recommended?

Adam Holt-2
Does anyone have recommended RTC battery model number(s) handy for XO-1 and XO-1.5?  In context with these very useful RTC (Real-Time-Clock on motherboard) rescue/maintenance tips here:

Evidently some schools prefer a clean start, replacing all their RTC batteries now that XO-1 laptops especially are approaching a decade of life.  Depending what RTC prices and Minimum Order Quantities are forthcoming in 2016+ of course -- both for smaller & larger operations -- perhaps Nathan has an idea?

(Less urgent, but recommended RTC battery model numbers for XO-1.75 and XO-4 would be wonderful too, if handy?)

Aside: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Reuse_checklist is an excellent more comprehensive list of refurbishing tactics for those interested!

Re: [Power] replacement RTC batteries for XO-1 and XO-1.5; which are recommended?

Adam Holt-2
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Adam Holt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 4:54 PM, Paul Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
it's an ML1220.

    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fix_Clock#Check_the_battery_and_holder

Thanks!!

I'll try to see if Nathan Riddle has expertise obtaining many hundred -- for XO-1 especially at this point -- but later the pony-tailed versions might in future need to procured for XO-1.5+

(We'll take note to *avoid* the "CR1220" as mentioned on the page above!)

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !

Re: replacement RTC batteries for XO-1 and XO-1.5; which are recommended?

Larger deployments should talk to OLPC for large quantities of this
spare part.

Smaller deployments won't be able to afford the MOQ.

--

There is only one recommended battery model number; ML1220, also
written as ML-1220:

        https://octopart.com/search?q=ml1220
        (first two pages of search results)

Plenty available from multiple vendors, with reasonably low MOQ, just
make sure you get the right packaging, or be prepared to replace the
holder as well.

On an XO-1, to trade-off part cost for labour, get the cheaper battery
with PCB tabs, solder wires to the tabs, cover in heat shrink, remove
the holder from the main board, solder the wires to the board, and
anchor them with an adhesive so that they don't pull off the traces.

Alternatively, it might be possible to solder to the battery holder
contacts.

Use an adhesive to hold the battery down so that it doesn't bounce
around; because by bouncing around it will break the wires eventually.

--

To trade-off longevity of repair for labour, add a series shottky
diode and a larger format battery (e.g. ANSI 5029LC) that won't be

http://quozl.netrek.org/