"Physics with XO" by Guzmán Trinidad now available in English

"Physics with XO" by Guzmán Trinidad now available in English

Sebastian Silva-4

Our team would like to share with the community the immediate availability [1] of Guzmán Trinidad's "Physics with XO". It is a book that includes 30 experimental activities for the Physics Laboratory that utilize the XO laptop's capabilities to attach sensors and create interactive experiences.

We believe that knowledge production should be as widely distributed as creativity is, and so we are proud to have been able to help to disseminate Guzmán's work for use in Rwanda, Philippines and other places where English is spoken. The original book was written and published in Uruguay in 2011. This translation was made possible thanks to the kind sponsorship of Tony Anderson.

[1] https://www.gitbook.com/book/icarito/physics-with-xo/details

If you find anything that can be improved, do let us know; it will be appreciated.
--
SomosAzucar.Org Team

Re: "Physics with XO" by Guzmán Trinidad now available in English

James Cameron-2
On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 01:16:26AM -0500, Sebastian Silva wrote:
> If you find anything that can be improved, do let us know; it will
> be appreciated.

Quoting from
https://icarito.gitbooks.io/physics-with-xo/content/09_precision_accuracy_ADC.html

And also from https://icarito.gitbooks.io/physics-with-xo/content/annexes.html

> At the time of finishing this work, this model consistently fails in
> the following way: when running any TB program it may measure the
> correct channel (generally CHL) or it will randomly return
> measurements coming from the other channel (CHR) (this error is
> generally known as swapping). This causes programs that measure
> volume, frequency, resistance and voltage to either function
> properly or not. Having made the query to the experts, we were
> informed that they were working on a solution involving low level
> modifications to the XO.

Both of these were the same underlying cause, were fixed last
September, and the fix is in OLPC OS 13.2.7.  Please upgrade kernel or
operating system.

http://dev.laptop.org/git/olpc-kernel/commit/?h=arm-3.0-wip&id=95c24cb3859cd01a9689675304ee85179770bbbf

(removed CC for lists not subscribed).

http://quozl.netrek.org/