(no subject)

Peter Easthope
Greetings to all for the New Year,

Paul Fox, pgf at laptop.org, Sat Dec 5 11:02:48 EST 2015,
> the "game controller" is simply 4 separate electrical contacts ...
> ...  use 'xev' to check ...

A "Hardware" section now in http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Game_controller .
Corrections, criticisms and suggestions welcome.

Can anyone tell where the nomenclature "KP_Up" and etc. originated?
A mainframe console in the 1960s?

Thanks,                ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202 or +13606390202.
Bcc: peter at easthope.ca  http://easthope.ca/Shop.html

Re: game controller

Paul Fox-2
peter wrote:
 > Greetings to all for the New Year,
 >
 > Paul Fox, pgf at laptop.org, Sat Dec 5 11:02:48 EST 2015,
 > > the "game controller" is simply 4 separate electrical contacts ...
 > > ...   use 'xev' to check ...
 >
 > A "Hardware" section now in http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Game_controller .
 > Corrections, criticisms and suggestions welcome.

the only mistake i see in your new section is that there are 4 buttons,
not 5.

 > Can anyone tell where the nomenclature "KP_Up" and etc. originated?
 > A mainframe console in the 1960s?

i suspect the names came about when the PC/AT keyboard was introduced
by IBM.  i think that was the first PC keyboard to have a separate
numeric keypad.  (but that's just an informed guess.)

paul

Re: game controller

Peter Easthope

On Sun, January 3, 2016 6:01 pm, Paul Fox wrote:
> the only mistake i see in your new section is that there are 4 buttons,
> not 5.

At first I visualized the D-pad as a game controller and
the four action buttons as a second controller.  But really
the two together function as a typical controller.  I've done
some rewriting.  Hopefully it's better rather than worse.

> i suspect the names came about when the PC/AT keyboard was introduced by
> IBM.  i think that was the first PC keyboard to have a separate
> numeric keypad.  (but that's just an informed guess.)

Thanks.  Probably not necessary in the wiki page but interesting.

Regards,                  ... Peter E.