music program in sugar?

Leonard "paniq" Ritter
hi there,

is any kind of music application planned for the laptop / the sugar
desktop? i am at the moment developing an experimental open source music
application especially suitable for children (i hope), trying to
introduce a new more table-top based approach to arranging and composing
music and sound effects.

perhaps anyone in charge can have a look at it ( http://www.mjoo.org )
and maybe make a judgement on how well such a project could suit the
sugar project.

--
-- leonard "paniq" ritter
-- http://www.mjoo.org

music program in sugar?

Marco Pesenti Gritti
Leonard "paniq" Ritter wrote:

> hi there,
>
> is any kind of music application planned for the laptop / the sugar
> desktop? i am at the moment developing an experimental open source music
> application especially suitable for children (i hope), trying to
> introduce a new more table-top based approach to arranging and composing
> music and sound effects.
>
> perhaps anyone in charge can have a look at it ( http://www.mjoo.org )
> and maybe make a judgement on how well such a project could suit the
> sugar project
There is another music effort going on:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/TamTam

I'm not sure how the two compares and if there is space for cooperation.
I'm ccing one of the authors.

You seem to be using gtk/python already so write a sugar activity should
be really easy:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial
Something that worries me is that you are using OpenGL... it's probably
going to be pretty slow on the laptop.

Marco

music program in sugar?

Dan Williams-4
On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 18:48 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

> Leonard "paniq" Ritter wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > is any kind of music application planned for the laptop / the sugar
> > desktop? i am at the moment developing an experimental open source music
> > application especially suitable for children (i hope), trying to
> > introduce a new more table-top based approach to arranging and composing
> > music and sound effects.
> >
> > perhaps anyone in charge can have a look at it ( http://www.mjoo.org )
> > and maybe make a judgement on how well such a project could suit the
> > sugar project
> There is another music effort going on:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/TamTam
>
> I'm not sure how the two compares and if there is space for cooperation.
> I'm ccing one of the authors.
>
> You seem to be using gtk/python already so write a sugar activity should
> be really easy:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial
> Something that worries me is that you are using OpenGL... it's probably
> going to be pretty slow on the laptop.

Right; any OpenGL will have to be done in software through Mesa, since
the OLPC doesn't have any hardware 3D accel.  Floating point also isn't
one of the Geode's strong areas, though it does OK.  Probably best to
stay away from GL for now.  We may/may not actually include mesa in the
final images, since without 3D mesa is of dubious use.

Dan

> Marco

music program in sugar?

Simon Schampijer-2
tamtam as a music application uses Csound.  Csound is used as well as
the synthesis language on the laptop - available for those who wants to
go into signal processing.
Simon

Leonard "paniq" Ritter wrote:

> hi there,
>
> is any kind of music application planned for the laptop / the sugar
> desktop? i am at the moment developing an experimental open source music
> application especially suitable for children (i hope), trying to
> introduce a new more table-top based approach to arranging and composing
> music and sound effects.
>
> perhaps anyone in charge can have a look at it ( http://www.mjoo.org )
> and maybe make a judgement on how well such a project could suit the
> sugar project.

music program in sugar?

Sean Wood
Hi all,

Jean Pich? (TamTam's project leader, cc'd) would be best to answer
these questions...

Thanks,
Sean.

On 8/25/06, Marco Pesenti Gritti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Leonard "paniq" Ritter wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > is any kind of music application planned for the laptop / the sugar
> > desktop? i am at the moment developing an experimental open source music
> > application especially suitable for children (i hope), trying to
> > introduce a new more table-top based approach to arranging and composing
> > music and sound effects.
> >
> > perhaps anyone in charge can have a look at it ( http://www.mjoo.org )
> > and maybe make a judgement on how well such a project could suit the
> > sugar project
> There is another music effort going on:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/TamTam
>
> I'm not sure how the two compares and if there is space for cooperation.
> I'm ccing one of the authors.
>
> You seem to be using gtk/python already so write a sugar activity should
> be really easy:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial
> Something that worries me is that you are using OpenGL... it's probably
> going to be pretty slow on the laptop.
>
> Marco

music program in sugar?

Leonard "paniq" Ritter
thank you all for the helpful replies.

so i see that this gap is well filled. maybe we can have another look at
it with sugar 2 ;)

--
-- leonard "paniq" ritter
-- http://www.mjoo.org