low battery shutdown

Peter Easthope
When my XO 1.5 shows about 33% charge, the system shuts
down with no warning.  This is normal behaviour?  I'd
expect the system to allow the battery to reach a lower
charge and ultimately warn the user that shutdown will
be necessary after a predicted lapse.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Battery_and_power should include
something about system response to battery charge level.
Is my system misbehaving?  Are people installing an additional
package to have a low battery warning?

Thanks,                   ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202

Re: low battery shutdown

Martin Langhoff
On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 9:12 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
When my XO 1.5 shows about 33% charge, the system shuts
down with no warning.  This is normal behaviour?

Not normal behaviour. It is consistent with a battery that has reached the end of its usable/reliable life _or_ a battery that has unbalanced cells.

Note that this happens on almost every battery-powered device, not only XOs, when batteries get old or their cells unbalanced.

IIRC wiki has instructions on how to try to rebalance batteries.

 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff

Fwd: low battery shutdown

Mike Dee

Re: low battery shutdown

Mike Dee
There is also this Guide for people on that site.

This is a troubleshooting guide for the XO laptop. While this is intended for use in a repair center, most of the procedures can be followed by users to repair their laptops.

Powering on

If you are having problems getting the XO to power on, see Troubleshooting Power On. The Startup Diagnosis page also describes how end users (not repair centers) can debug power-on or boot problems.

Display

If you are having problems with the display on an XO laptop, see the Display diagnostics section.

Power and Battery

If you are having problems such as:

  • the battery is not charging
  • the battery is suddenly losing charge
  • the laptop won't run from a power adapter

Then you should view:

  • XO Troubleshooting Battery, if you believe the problem is contained within the battery itself, or
  • XO Troubleshooting Power, if you believe the problem is contained within the laptop (e.g. charging circuitry, power input circuitry), or
  • Both of the above, if you are unsure where the problem is localised.

Network

If your laptop is having trouble connecting to other laptops or the Internet, see the Network diagnostics section.

Audio and Camera

If you are having problems with the audio (microphone, speakers, headphones, or microphone input) or camera on an XO laptop, see the AV diagnostics section.

Keyboard and Touchpad

If you are having problems with the keyboard or touchpad on an XO laptop, see the Keyboard diagnostics section.

Touchscreen

See the Touchscreen section.

USB

If you are having problems with the USB interfaces on an XO laptop, see the USB diagnostics section.

Re: low battery shutdown

Paul Fox-2
martin wrote:
 > On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 9:12 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >
 > > When my XO 1.5 shows about 33% charge, the system shuts
 > > down with no warning.  This is normal behaviour?
 >
 >
 > Not normal behaviour. It is consistent with a battery that has reached the
 > end of its usable/reliable life _or_ a battery that has unbalanced cells.

that sounds right.

it might (or might not be) interesting to look at the power logs kept
in /home/olpc/power_logs (i think that's the name).  there might be an
indication there as to why the system is shutting down early.

the system will shut down based on the result of the function
"low_battery" in /sbin/powerd (powerd is a script).  that function
checks whether the capacity is reported as less than 1%, or the voltage
as less than 5.7V.  if you can't swap or rebalance your battery, you
might be able to play with the contents of that function to get a
clean shutdown earlier.

paul

 > Note that this happens on almost every battery-powered device, not only
 > XOs, when batteries get old or their cells unbalanced.
 >
 > IIRC wiki has instructions on how to try to rebalance batteries.

 >  [hidden email]
 >  -  ask interesting questions
 >  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
 >  ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff

Re: low battery shutdown

Mike Dee
HOWDY MIKE-D. HERE,(IGNORE ALL CAPS-I'M NOT YELLING, BUT TRY TO ANSWER MORE DIRECTLY.)

On Feb 22, 2016 6:13 AM, <
[hidden email]> wrote:
When my XO 1.5 shows about 33% charge, the system shuts
down with no warning. I ONLY HAVE XO-1'S, BUT THAT USUALLY MEANS THEY(BATTERY AND.OR XO) ARE NOT WORKING QUITE RIGHT, AND THE BATTERY MAY NEED TO HAVE SOME UTILITIES LIKE "BATMAN", USED ON IT, AFTER THE BASICS ARE CHECKED.(TALKS ABOUT "BATMAN", IN THE GUIDE LINKS, I SENT.) This is normal behaviour? NO. I'd
expect the system to allow the battery to reach a lower
charge and ultimately warn the user that shutdown will
be necessary after a predicted lapse. I THINK SOME OF THIS DEPENDS ON WHICH OS, AND FIRMWARE- YOU ARE USING FOR YOUR XO-1.5. OVER THE YEARS, THIS HAS BEEN IMPROVED. I THINK I MAY GET A % PERCENTAGE, AND MAYBE EVEN A TIME REMAINING COUNTDOWN.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Battery_and_power should include
something about system response to battery charge level. THIS LINK: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Battery_and_power . DOES START OUT WITH :

Battery and power

This page needs clean-up and editing for coherence, clarity, and completeness.

Please improve this article if you can.

SO, I THINK YOUR INPUT IS VALID, MAYBE YOU CAN HELP IMPROVE THIS ARTICLE. LIKE WHEN I WENT HERE TO THIS PAGE YEARS AGO, I WAS BUMMED, THAT I MIGHT HAVE TO BUY A NEW BATTERY, BUT WAS HAPPY THEY DID NOT SEEM TO COST VARY MUCH, AND THERE WAS PLACES YOU COULD GET THEM FROM. I HAVE NOT HAD TO BUY ANY BATTERIES, BECAUSE, I WAS ABLE TO FOLLOW THE TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDES AND FIX MY XO-1'S MYSELF.
Is my system misbehaving? THIS IS PRETTY GENERAL, BUT I GET THE POINT. Are people installing an additional
package to have a low battery warning? I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THIS, IF THERE IS IS ADDITIONAL PACKAGES FOR THIS, THERE PROBABLY IS.

Thanks,                   ... Peter E.
AND DEVELOPERS, SORRY IF THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT PLACE, STYLE, AND/OR WAY TO RESPOND TO A QUESTION ON HERE. I AM NOT REALLY A DEVELOPER YET, BUT HOPE TO BE SOMEDAY.
THANKS,
HOPE THAT HELPS PETER E.
MIKE-D. OUT

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 09:15:54AM -0500, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 9:12 AM, <[1][hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     When my XO 1.5 shows about 33% charge, the system shuts
>     down with no warning.  This is normal behaviour?
>
> Not normal behaviour. It is consistent with a battery that has
> reached the end of its usable/reliable life _or_ a battery that has
> unbalanced cells.

The former, not the latter.  By the time of the XO-1.5 the battery
packs have a cell balancing feature built in.  (I've opened some and
found the internal design had changed without us knowing.)

The early shutdown is an inconsistency between calculated state of
charge and actual state of charge.

If a couple of full charge and discharge cycles don't fix the
inconsistency, the battery is close to end of usable life.

I agree with Paul that power-logs will be useful if Peter wants to
dive deeper into the technical causes.

http://quozl.netrek.org/