how to remove WiFi credential/history from Sugar?

how to remove WiFi credential/history from Sugar?

Adam Holt-2
"rm /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/key_<SSID>" does not fully delete a WiFi credential, even after reboot of the XO-1.5 with Sugar 0.106.0, the password is clearly still buried+working in the system somewhere.

Anywhere else obvious to look?  Or wipe out all WiFi credentials + history?  I've also looked in the following 2 diretories which are both empty:

   /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
   /bootpart/security/state/

It's called the N.ice S.ugar A.gency after all taking my password who knows where...Thanks for ideas =)

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !

Re: how to remove WiFi credential/history from Sugar?

Paul Fox-2
adam wrote:
 > "rm /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/key_<SSID>" does not fully delete a WiFi
 > credential, even after reboot of the XO-1.5 with Sugar 0.106.0, the
 > password is clearly still buried+working in the system somewhere.

under sugar, i think it's in the control panel, under Network.

paul

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Paul Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
adam wrote:
 > "rm /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/key_<SSID>" does not fully delete a WiFi
 > credential, even after reboot of the XO-1.5 with Sugar 0.106.0, the
 > password is clearly still buried+working in the system somewhere.

under sugar, i think it's in the control panel, under Network.

Thx for the reminder.

I should've mentioned scripting's the goal here- if someone knows where SSID passwords are actually buried?

paul

 > Anywhere else obvious to look?  Or wipe out all WiFi credentials +
 > history?  I've also looked in the following 2 diretories which are both
 > empty:
 >
 >    /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
 >    /bootpart/security/state/
 >
 > It's called the N.ice S.ugar A.gency after all taking my password who knows
 > where...Thanks for ideas =)
 >
 > --
 > Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !

Re: [support-gang] [Sugar-devel] how to remove WiFi credential/history from Sugar?

Kevin Gordon Gmail
not at an XO at the moment but ....

check the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ directory

Or maybe a command line thingy like nmcli connection delete id <connectionname> will do what you want?

KG

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Jerry Vonau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On September 25, 2015 at 12:06 PM Paul Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> adam wrote:
>  > "rm /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/key_<SSID>" does not fully delete a
>  > WiFi
>  > credential, even after reboot of the XO-1.5 with Sugar 0.106.0, the
>  > password is clearly still buried+working in the system somewhere.
>
> under sugar, i think it's in the control panel, under Network.

Think that just deletes the ifcfg files, aren't passwords stored in the
keyring?

Jerry

On Sep 25, 2015 1:23 PM, "Kevin Gordon" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> not at an XO at the moment but ....
>
> check the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ directory
>
> Or maybe a command line thingy like nmcli connection delete id <connectionname> will do what you want?

My thoughts exactly.  I tried the 2 above deletes, and the XO-1.5 continues to reboot holding the passworded WiFi connection.  Wacked!  Perhaps I am not running nmcli correctly, as it does not complete-

adam wrote:
> [...]

that's is where the config lives on the machine i'm looking
at (running 13.2.0).

try:
    cd /etc
    sudo grep -R <network-name> .
    cd /home/olpc
    sudo grep -R <network-name> .

on older releases, sugar kept the network config separate, under
/home/olpc/.sugar, i think.  it took a while before gnome and
sugar wifi configs were synced.

paul

Re: [support-gang] [Sugar-devel] how to remove WiFi credential/history from Sugar?

Adam Holt-2
On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Paul Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
try:
    cd /etc
    sudo grep -R <network-name> .

It responds, as expected:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-WAN:ESSID=<network-name>

    cd /home/olpc
    sudo grep -R <network-name> .

No results at all.  I ran "find . -name *<network-name>*" from both places as well.

Profound mystery!  Somewhere in the bowels of Fedora presumably?  To triple-check all assumptions, I've rebooted many times and the very-much-passworded WiFi auto-connects every time.  (Auto-connected from Sugar anyway, though not auto-connecting from Gnome seemingl, when I tried rebooting from Gnome back into Gnome).

on older releases, sugar kept the network config separate, under
/home/olpc/.sugar, i think.  it took a while before gnome and
sugar wifi configs were synced.

paul

Re: [support-gang] [Sugar-devel] how to remove WiFi credential/history from Sugar?

Martin Langhoff
NM has this info somewhere. Play with nmcli to try find it, manipulate it.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Adam Holt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff

Re: [support-gang] [Sugar-devel] how to remove WiFi credential/history from Sugar?

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 3:01 PM, Kurt H Maier <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, it's not in the gnome keyring.  is it in
/home/olpc/.sugar/default/nm/networks.cfg ?

Nothing obvious in /home/olpc/.sugar/default and no nm within /home/olpc/.sugar/default on this XO-1.5.  In fact when I did "rm -rf /home/olpc/.sugar" it continued to auto-connect to the passworded WiFi after reboot.  But I finally got it!  WiFi password was ALSO cached in:

   /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-WAN

In addition to:

   /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-<actual-SSID-name>

Apologies if this has something to do with XSCE running on the same XO-1.5?  Hopefully others can explain how this happened, as I remain quite dumb for now, but happy it's resolved =)

khm

Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !

Re: how to remove WiFi credential/history from Sugar?

James Cameron-2
On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 03:59:38PM -0400, Adam Holt wrote:
> But I finally got it!  WiFi password was ALSO cached in:
>
>    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-WAN

You're not using an OLPC build, the latest is based on Fedora 18, and
Fedora 18 does not do this.

You're using something much later than Fedora 18.  Care to share?
There are probably others who may benefit from a working build more
recent than Fedora 18.

(After Fedora 18, Network Manager was changed to store connections
differently.)

So your question wasn't really anything to do with Sugar, in the end,
since Sugar uses Network Manager to store connections.

Sugar does lack a scripted method to discard network history.  That
would be an interesting feature to have!

On Sep 28, 2015 6:00 AM, "James Cameron" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 03:59:38PM -0400, Adam Holt wrote:
> > But I finally got it!  WiFi password was ALSO cached in:
> >
> >    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-WAN
>
> You're not using an OLPC build, the latest is based on Fedora 18, and
> Fedora 18 does not do this.

It's a highly experimental giant build on Fedora 20 that includes Internet-in-a-Box, and so is not easily distributable yet (physically shipping is required, download too expensive).  But I could be wrong; George Hunt would know more.