flash/marvell-ipp

Yioryos Asprobounitis
I would appreciate if someone could inform me about the redistribution of the

ARM version of Adobe Flash present in OLPC-AU builds for XO-4.
We would like to include it in FatDog/Puppylinux builds for the ARM XOs but we
certainly do not want to violate any outstanding redistribution agreements.
Alternatively we could have a script for the user to rsync it from the olpc-au
update server directly.
I looked for the equivalent of rsync://updates.laptop.org/ but could not find
anything.
Any pointers?

The other thing that we can not find is the marvell-ipp source. The
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Vmeta page points to
Git repo: /home/dsd/private_git/marvell-ipp branch (mmp2/mmp3 branches)
Does "private_git" means that indeed are not available?
Or that maybe available only after an NDA or something relevant?
Thanks

Re: flash/marvell-ipp

Jon Nettleton

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Yioryos Asprobounitis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

My understanding is that the XO-1.75 codec licensing was done as an add on to the customers order.  That changed with the XO-4 as codec licensing was purchased for all machines produced.  That is why vMeta should be available to all XO-4 owners.

I have never been in any conversations with anyone that new the actual licensing for the Adobe Flash binary.  The restrictions for it were originally imposed by the requirement that vMeta licensing be purchased because our custom version of flash uses the vMeta hardware decoding for video playback.  Be aware that the Flash plugin for the XO-4 only works on the XO-4 as it is NEON optimized and the XO-1.75 does not support those instructions.  The flash plugin for the XO-1.75 is iWMMXt optimized which will run on both platforms.

-Jon

Re: flash/marvell-ipp

Martin Langhoff
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Jon Nettleton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have never been in any conversations with anyone that new the actual
> licensing for the Adobe Flash binary.

(Note: I am no longer affiliated w OLPC in any way.) -- if you want to
distribute Flash binaries, Adobe has a series of forms on their
website. Apply there, put in the notes that you expect to distribute a
custom binary build. You'll be contacted via email to confirm details.

It is free of cost, and I have never heard of a request being
declined, but you have to obtain permission (license). It's theirs
after all.

Note that their license does not cover patents, so you also have to be
mindful of patents.

 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff