[etoys-dev] Camera does not work with OSX 10.9.2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[etoys-dev] Camera does not work with OSX 10.9.2

Steve Thomas
I downloaded latest software using "update code from server" and still no luck.





Cheers,
Stephen

_______________________________________________
etoys-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakland.org/mailman/listinfo/etoys-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [etoys-dev] Camera does not work with OSX 10.9.2

David T. Lewis
Hi Steve,

I am not a Mac user but I do work with the Squeak VM so I would like to
help if I can.

Just for my understanding - the camera works on older versions of OSX, but
not on your OSX 10.9.2, is that correct?

The camera plugin, which is required for using the camera in Etoys, was
added to the Mac VM after the VM was originally built. The plugin was
compiled somewhat differently from the other plugins in the VM, which may
account for it working on one version of OS X and not on another.

If that is the case, then we may need to find a volunteer to rebuild the
VM with all necessary plugins included. I am not a Mac expert at all, but
I think that is the likely source of the difficulty.

Unfortunately we have been short handed on Mac support for the VM, but if
you can confirm that this is the kind of problem that you are seeing, I
can put out a call for help on the vm-dev list and see if we can find a
volunteer do the necessary update.

Thanks,

Dave

> I downloaded latest software using "update code from server" and still no
> luck.
>
>
>
>
> Need this for Google Summer of Code project I will be mentoring
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/positivedeviancy/5685265389584384
> <http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/positivedeviancy/5685265389584384>
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen
> _______________________________________________
> etoys-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.squeakland.org/mailman/listinfo/etoys-dev
>


_______________________________________________
etoys-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakland.org/mailman/listinfo/etoys-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [etoys-dev] Camera does not work with OSX 10.9.2

Steve Thomas
David,

I really appreciate the help and prompt reply.

I checked and it does work under a previous version of OSX (10.7.2)

Cheers,
Stephen


On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Steve,

I am not a Mac user but I do work with the Squeak VM so I would like to
help if I can.

Just for my understanding - the camera works on older versions of OSX, but
not on your OSX 10.9.2, is that correct?

The camera plugin, which is required for using the camera in Etoys, was
added to the Mac VM after the VM was originally built. The plugin was
compiled somewhat differently from the other plugins in the VM, which may
account for it working on one version of OS X and not on another.

If that is the case, then we may need to find a volunteer to rebuild the
VM with all necessary plugins included. I am not a Mac expert at all, but
I think that is the likely source of the difficulty.

Unfortunately we have been short handed on Mac support for the VM, but if
you can confirm that this is the kind of problem that you are seeing, I
can put out a call for help on the vm-dev list and see if we can find a
volunteer do the necessary update.

Thanks,

Dave

> I downloaded latest software using "update code from server" and still no
> luck.
>
>
>
>
> Need this for Google Summer of Code project I will be mentoring
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/positivedeviancy/5685265389584384
> <http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/positivedeviancy/5685265389584384>
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen
> _______________________________________________
> etoys-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.squeakland.org/mailman/listinfo/etoys-dev
>





--

To some of us, writing computer programs is a fascinating game. A program is a building of thought. It is costless to build, weightless, growing easily under our typing hands. If we get carried away, its size and complexity will grow out of control, confusing even the one who created it. This is the main problem of programming. It is why so much of today's software tends to crash, fail, screw up.

When a program works, it is beautiful. The art of programming is the skill of controlling complexity. The great program is subdued, made simple in its complexity.

- Martin Harverbeke (from Eloquent JavaScript)


_______________________________________________
etoys-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakland.org/mailman/listinfo/etoys-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[etoys-dev] Help needed to compile a fresh Mac Carbon VM

David T. Lewis
VM hackers and Mac enthusiasts, we need your help. Here is your chance to
earn big karma points, along with the grateful admiration of the your peers.

What we need: A freshly compiled Mac Carbon VM, just like the Squeak 4.2.5beta1U
VM on http://squeakvm.org/mac, but updated to use current VM sources, and to
include CameraPlugin and ScratchPlugin.

Why we need it: See below. We have a GSOC project mentor who needs to do work
on a Mac, who needs to run an image format 6502 (pre-closure) image, and is
running into problems related to the outdated Mac VM. We need an update to the
Mac VM so that the GSOC project can proceed, and to prevent problems like this
for other Mac users who need to be able to run older images (Etoys, Scratch, etc).

  http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/positivedeviancy/5685265389584384

If you have the ability to compile a Mac Carbon VM and make it available to the
community, then please speak up. We need your help.

(Cross posted to several lists, but discussion should go to vm-dev if possible)

Thanks in advance,

Dave


On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 07:55:33PM -0400, Steve Thomas wrote:

> David,
>
> I really appreciate the help and prompt reply.
>
> I checked and it does work under a previous version of OSX (10.7.2)
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen
>
>
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > I am not a Mac user but I do work with the Squeak VM so I would like to
> > help if I can.
> >
> > Just for my understanding - the camera works on older versions of OSX, but
> > not on your OSX 10.9.2, is that correct?
> >
> > The camera plugin, which is required for using the camera in Etoys, was
> > added to the Mac VM after the VM was originally built. The plugin was
> > compiled somewhat differently from the other plugins in the VM, which may
> > account for it working on one version of OS X and not on another.
> >
> > If that is the case, then we may need to find a volunteer to rebuild the
> > VM with all necessary plugins included. I am not a Mac expert at all, but
> > I think that is the likely source of the difficulty.
> >
> > Unfortunately we have been short handed on Mac support for the VM, but if
> > you can confirm that this is the kind of problem that you are seeing, I
> > can put out a call for help on the vm-dev list and see if we can find a
> > volunteer do the necessary update.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > > I downloaded latest software using "update code from server" and still no
> > > luck.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Need this for Google Summer of Code project I will be mentoring
> > >
> > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/positivedeviancy/5685265389584384
> > > <
> > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2014/positivedeviancy/5685265389584384
> > >
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Stephen
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > etoys-dev mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > http://lists.squeakland.org/mailman/listinfo/etoys-dev
> > >
> >
_______________________________________________
etoys-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakland.org/mailman/listinfo/etoys-dev