Xubuntu on OLPC X-1

Hellânio Costa

Hello,

I'm Hellanio Costa. I work with the One Computer per student projeto (UCA) at the Universidade Federal do Ceará (http://blogs.virtual.ufc.br/uca-ce2/).
We have a school with over 500 OLPC X1 and teachers are asking me to install xubuntu, but I do not know where to start. I also do not have the developer key and do not know where to turn now that OLPC no longer support these machines.

Can anyone help me?

--
       Hellânio Ferreira da Costa
"Um tropeço pode evitar uma queda."

Re: Xubuntu on OLPC X-1

Walter Bender-4
Perhaps Ruben can help you with developer keys. Re xubuntu, it is not supported, so you will be on your own there. I could recommend you look at trisquel, a pure FOSS version of Ubuntu that has active support. Or stick with Fedora, which has on-going support.

regards.

-walter

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Hellânio Costa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I'm Hellanio Costa. I work with the One Computer per student projeto (UCA) at the Universidade Federal do Ceará (http://blogs.virtual.ufc.br/uca-ce2/).
We have a school with over 500 OLPC X1 and teachers are asking me to install xubuntu, but I do not know where to start. I also do not have the developer key and do not know where to turn now that OLPC no longer support these machines.

Can anyone help me?

--
       Hellânio Ferreira da Costa
"Um tropeço pode evitar uma queda."

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org

Re: Xubuntu on OLPC X-1

Hi Hellaino,

that is a fairly complex path, there are a few dozen important tweaks and configurations you need for it to run well.

You can probably get Fedora with XFCE, which will be very similar for end users, by using OLPC's OS Builder (OOB) -- http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_Builder

If you really want Ubuntu, I suggest you first play with OOB, look at all the tweaks it applies, plus the custom packages (olpc-utils, etc), and study how to apply similar changes to xubuntu.

hth,

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Hellânio Costa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I'm Hellanio Costa. I work with the One Computer per student projeto (UCA) at the Universidade Federal do Ceará (http://blogs.virtual.ufc.br/uca-ce2/).
We have a school with over 500 OLPC X1 and teachers are asking me to install xubuntu, but I do not know where to start. I also do not have the developer key and do not know where to turn now that OLPC no longer support these machines.

Can anyone help me?

--
       Hellânio Ferreira da Costa
"Um tropeço pode evitar uma queda."

 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff

Re: Xubuntu on OLPC X-1

Xubuntu does work on the XO-1 and XO-1.5, but it isn't easy.

I agree with Martin, a better path may be to customise OLPC OS using
our OS Builder, to remove Sugar and add XFCE.  It could probably be
made to look identical to Xubuntu, with some work.

My prior work on Ubuntu for the XO-1 and XO-1.5 in 2010, with a few
changes, was successful in getting Xubuntu desktop running on an XO-1
and XO-1.5.

Here is the method I used:

1.  select an Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 desktop system with at least 8GB
    RAM, and install the debootstrap package:

    sudo apt-get install debootstrap

2.  clone the trusty-minimal branch of my uxo repository:

    git clone --depth 1 --branch \
        trusty-minimal git://dev.laptop.org/users/quozl/uxo/.git uxo
    cd uxo

3.  run the mkuxo script as root:

    sudo ./mkuxo

    This will download the minimal packages, assemble an operating
    system, and put in the built/ directory a uxo-minimal.trusty.img
    file.

    This file is a disk image, ready for writing to an SD card or USB
    drive with minimum size 4GB, erasing what is there.

4.  write the disk image to an SD card or USB drive, and boot an
    XO-1.5 or XO-1 from it, (it must be unsecured),

5.  log in at the console with username olpc, no password,

6.  add a USB ethernet adapter, or manually configure the wireless
    network:

    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid my-open-network
    sudo dhclient wlan0

7.  install the graphics drivers:

    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install \
        xserver-org \
        xinit \
        xterm \
        xserver-xorg-video-openchrome \
        xserver-xorg-video-geode

8.  install the Ubuntu standard and Xubuntu desktop packages:

    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-standard xubuntu-desktop

9.  reboot

    sudo reboot

This would need further work before users would be happy with it.  In
particular it boots much slower than OLPC OS, and login takes a while.
The screensaver on XO-1.5 turns off video output, which causes the
image to degrade.  There's no network connection applet.

Installing onto the internal storage of the XO-1, instead of using an
SD card or USB drive, is probably possible, but I have not written
that script.

Installing Xubuntu is also very slow on an XO-1, with an SD card,
taking an hour or so.  Including the Xubuntu Desktop package in the
build might speed that up, but there are some bugs preventing that.

I hope that can get you or someone else started, or at least help you
assess the size and scope of the task.

Ask the teachers what parts of Xubuntu they want; the desktop, the
apps, the infrastructure, the security updates, or the name.  ;-)

On developer keys, use the collection stick on our Wiki and send me
the laptops.dat file.  Try just two laptops to start with, and I can
see if a key can be made for them.

Re: Xubuntu on OLPC X-1

Hellânio Costa
Thanks for listening,

Well, apparently I better go from idea to use fedora with xfce, but it becomes unfeasible to use sd card in each device and therefore we restricted the internal memory of the notebook.

I believe a teacher contact Ricardo Carrano can I get a case of successful use of these notebooks.

The most important thing now is to get a developer key for me to use the OLPC OS Builder and leave the system as clean as possible.

Thanks again for the answers.

[...]

Richard A. Smith
On 07/01/2014 10:51 AM, Hellânio Costa wrote:

> Thanks for listening,
>
> Well, apparently I better go from idea to use fedora with xfce, but it
> becomes unfeasible to use sd card in each device and therefore we
> restricted the internal memory of the notebook.
>
> I believe a teacher contact Ricardo Carrano can I get a case of
> successful use of these notebooks.
>
> The most important thing now is to get a developer key for me to use the
> OLPC OS Builder and leave the system as clean as possible.

With the exception of "Postal Mail" one of the procedures listed here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activation_and_developer_keys

Should get you a developer key.

If you want to get keys for a lot of machines all at once then you
should follow the collection stick procedure here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Collection_stick

If you have any problems with getting the collection stick to work a
very, very common failure is just a USB disk that behaves badly.  There
are both hardware problems or formatting problems that can trip up the
procedure.

If the collection stick doesn't seem to work then try a different USB
disk.  If that doesn't help then just report back your scenario here and
someone will be able to help you sort out where the problem is.

--
Richard A. Smith  <[hidden email]>
Former One Laptop per Child