XO Fedora 22 Beta work

Samuel Greenfeld-2
At James' suggestion I looked a bit into a Fedora 22 beta build.  I have found the following problems so far getting the RPM dependencies worked out:
  • olpc-library needs to depend on python-jinja2, not python-jinja.  The olpc-library RPM also was removed from Fedora, perhaps due to lack of changes & abandonment.
  • totem-mozplugin no longer exists and was intentionally removed.  Given Firefox supports various media codecs internally this might not be a problem for it (apart for vmeta?); but I don't know what webkit-based Browse uses for media players.
  • xorg-x11-drv-keyboard and -mouse have been replaced by xorg-x11-drv-libinput.  See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LibinputForXorg
  • 14.1.0 has custom F20 systemd binaries, but I am having trouble finding information as to why.  If they have relevant changes they need to be ported to F22 if not already present because using the F20 systemd binaries breaks all sorts of library dependencies.

Patches have been written for the first three that I could submit.

We need to come up with a clear direction as to what volunteers and/or OLPC want & would actually use for updated XO builds.  I only have the time to focus on one set of images.

Re: [Sugar-devel] XO Fedora 22 Beta work

Gonzalo Odiard

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 1:10 AM, Samuel Greenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

True. I am not sure what is best option here.
We still didn't solved all the issues in F20, but is already a old release.
I wonder if we can try make images based in CentOS.

Gonzalo

Re: [Sugar-devel] XO Fedora 22 Beta work

Adam Holt-2
On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

George Hunt is having surprisingly rapid success with CentOS 7 for XSCE.  Its new release (equivalent to RHEL 7.1) is now out...

Wishful Thinking hopes that similar progress might be possible on various XO laptops?

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !

Re: XO Fedora 22 Beta work

Peter Robinson
On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 5:10 AM, Samuel Greenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
> At James' suggestion I looked a bit into a Fedora 22 beta build.  I have
> found the following problems so far getting the RPM dependencies worked out:
>
> olpc-library needs to depend on python-jinja2, not python-jinja.  The
> olpc-library RPM also was removed from Fedora, perhaps due to lack of
> changes & abandonment.

Likely, I didn't even know it existed.

> totem-mozplugin no longer exists and was intentionally removed.  Given
> Firefox supports various media codecs internally this might not be a problem
> for it (apart for vmeta?); but I don't know what webkit-based Browse uses
> for media players.

Gstreamer based as well so I don't see any major issue there except if
vmeta doesn't support gstreamer 1.0

> xorg-x11-drv-keyboard and -mouse have been replaced by
> xorg-x11-drv-libinput.  See
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LibinputForXorg

Works fine on SoaS, although I think there might be a need to migrate
Control Panel bits, I did send an email about it some time ago to
devel@

> 14.1.0 has custom F20 systemd binaries, but I am having trouble finding
> information as to why.  If they have relevant changes they need to be ported
> to F22 if not already present because using the F20 systemd binaries breaks
> all sorts of library dependencies.

The reason is due to changes in firmware loading changes in the kernel
and the fact the XO kernels haven't been rebased to something more
modern than 3.0+

> Patches have been written for the first three that I could submit.
>
> We need to come up with a clear direction as to what volunteers and/or OLPC
> want & would actually use for updated XO builds.  I only have the time to
> focus on one set of images.

I can help on anything needed that's in Fedora in terms of adding
patches there so you don't need to fork but similarly I don't have
much time.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Adam Holt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 1:10 AM, Samuel Greenfeld <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> At James' suggestion I looked a bit into a Fedora 22 beta build.  I have
>>> found the following problems so far getting the RPM dependencies worked out:
>>>
>>> olpc-library needs to depend on python-jinja2, not python-jinja.  The
>>> olpc-library RPM also was removed from Fedora, perhaps due to lack of
>>> changes & abandonment.
>>> totem-mozplugin no longer exists and was intentionally removed.  Given
>>> Firefox supports various media codecs internally this might not be a problem
>>> for it (apart for vmeta?); but I don't know what webkit-based Browse uses
>>> for media players.
>>> xorg-x11-drv-keyboard and -mouse have been replaced by
>>> xorg-x11-drv-libinput.  See
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LibinputForXorg
>>> 14.1.0 has custom F20 systemd binaries, but I am having trouble finding
>>> information as to why.  If they have relevant changes they need to be ported
>>> to F22 if not already present because using the F20 systemd binaries breaks
>>> all sorts of library dependencies.
>>>
>>> Patches have been written for the first three that I could submit.
>>>
>>> We need to come up with a clear direction as to what volunteers and/or
>>> OLPC want & would actually use for updated XO builds.  I only have the time
>>> to focus on one set of images.
>>

>> True. I am not sure what is best option here.
>> We still didn't solved all the issues in F20, but is already a old
>> release.
>> I wonder if we can try make images based in CentOS.
>

> George Hunt is having surprisingly rapid success with CentOS 7 for XSCE.
> Its new release (equivalent to RHEL 7.1) is now out...
>
> Wishful Thinking hopes that similar progress might be possible on various XO
> laptops?

Very wishful, most of the server stuff would already be in
CentOS/EPEL, to get the the sugar stack and dependencies in would be a
reasonable chunk of work. The standard packages in Fedora could easily
be branched for EPEL7 and would all be compatible but someone would
need to step up to do the work as I certainly don't have the time or
really interest.

Peter

Re: XO Fedora 22 Beta work

Dennis Gilmore
wrote:

> > At James' suggestion I looked a bit into a Fedora 22 beta build.  I have
> > found the following problems so far getting the RPM dependencies worked
> > out:
> >
> > olpc-library needs to depend on python-jinja2, not python-jinja.  The
> > olpc-library RPM also was removed from Fedora, perhaps due to lack of
> > changes & abandonment.
>
> Likely, I didn't even know it existed.
>
> > totem-mozplugin no longer exists and was intentionally removed.  Given
> > Firefox supports various media codecs internally this might not be a
> > problem for it (apart for vmeta?); but I don't know what webkit-based
> > Browse uses for media players.
>
> Gstreamer based as well so I don't see any major issue there except if
> vmeta doesn't support gstreamer 1.0
>
> > xorg-x11-drv-keyboard and -mouse have been replaced by
> > xorg-x11-drv-libinput.  See
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LibinputForXorg
>
> Works fine on SoaS, although I think there might be a need to migrate
> Control Panel bits, I did send an email about it some time ago to
> devel@
>
> > 14.1.0 has custom F20 systemd binaries, but I am having trouble finding
> > information as to why.  If they have relevant changes they need to be
> > ported to F22 if not already present because using the F20 systemd
> > binaries breaks all sorts of library dependencies.
>
> The reason is due to changes in firmware loading changes in the kernel
> and the fact the XO kernels haven't been rebased to something more
> modern than 3.0+
>
> > Patches have been written for the first three that I could submit.
> >
> > We need to come up with a clear direction as to what volunteers and/or
> > OLPC
> > want & would actually use for updated XO builds.  I only have the time to
> > focus on one set of images.
>
> I can help on anything needed that's in Fedora in terms of adding
> patches there so you don't need to fork but similarly I don't have
> much time.
with Fedora.NEXT we may be able to look at making OLPC builds be an official
part of Fedora, tirckiest bit I think would be the kernel. Long term I think
it would be good for both OLPC and Fedora for this to happen.

Dennis

Re: XO Fedora 22 Beta work

Samuel Greenfeld-2
James and I looked a bit into the systemd issue last night & discovered the same.  This was discussed at http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2014-May/048180.html

A solution to solve this may be tricky.  Currently no one may be available to look into getting newer Linux kernels working on XOs.  And if a newer kernel was tweaked for XOs and brought in, extensive testing against multiple XO models & variants (wireless cards/cameras/memory chips/etc.) would be required.

Bringing in an older systemd with userspace firmware loading support might be easier in the short term, but could break RPMs dependent on newer systemd versions.

I don't know what resources OLPC has internally at the moment, but this may be beyond what part-time volunteers can do, especially if support is desired for XO models which OLPC no longer sells.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 10:36:49PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 5:10 AM, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
> > 14.1.0 has custom F20 systemd binaries, but I am having trouble
> > finding information as to why.  If they have relevant changes they
> > need to be ported to F22 if not already present because using the
> > F20 systemd binaries breaks all sorts of library dependencies.
>
> The reason is due to changes in firmware loading changes in the
> kernel and the fact the XO kernels haven't been rebased to something
> more modern than 3.0+

Yes.

In particular by model:

*  3.10 for XO-1,
*  3.10 for XO-1.5,
*  3.0 for XO-1.75, and;
*  3.5 for XO-4.

There have also been other new gotchas as Fedora has taken on new
features of newer kernels; like SO_REUSEPORT for Avahi.

At the moment, I've no plans to rebase; but I'm willing to adopt any
kernel trees that boot and run on the XO laptop models, and answer any
interesting questions from kernel developers trying a rebase.