XO-4 not resuming after suspend

Emiliano Pastorino-2
I have an XO-4 B1, OFW Q7B14, EC Firmware 0.3.10, os28.

It won't resume after suspend, but sometimes it does. I couldn't
reproduce the bug, but it happens most of the time.

Here's the last lines of serial output before suspending:

[ 1893.876075] pxa168fb_release GFX layer, fbi 0 opened 4 times ----
[ 1911.036158] PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.
[ 1911.043380] Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.02 seconds) done.
[ 1911.068796] Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.01 seconds) done.
[ 1911.091375] Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)

No more messages after this, I've pressed every button, but nothing happens.
I only see some output from EC serial port when power button is pressed.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,
Emiliano

Re: XO-4 not resuming after suspend

Martin Langhoff
Does it have an 8686 (loads libertas driver) or an 8787 (loads
mwifiex* drivers).

Does it get better if you blacklist the wlan drivers, ensuring they
don't get loaded? You won't have wlan, of course...

At this point, XO-4 with 8787 is very stable for us, so if it has
8787, your report is a surprise, and we should diagnose further.

If you have an 8686, we are hunting down some regressions which may
explain what you see -- Paul Fox is working on it right now.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Emiliano Pastorino
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an XO-4 B1, OFW Q7B14, EC Firmware 0.3.10, os28.
>
> It won't resume after suspend, but sometimes it does. I couldn't
> reproduce the bug, but it happens most of the time.
>
> Here's the last lines of serial output before suspending:
>
>> [ 1893.876075] pxa168fb_release GFX layer, fbi 0 opened 4 times ----
>> [ 1911.036158] PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.
>> [ 1911.043380] Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.02 seconds)
>> done.
>> [ 1911.068796] Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.01
>> seconds) done.
>> [ 1911.091375] Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
>

> No more messages after this, I've pressed every button, but nothing happens.
> I only see some output from EC serial port when power button is pressed.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Emiliano

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions

Re: XO-4 not resuming after suspend

Emiliano Pastorino-2
It does have an 8686.
I've "rmmod'ed" libertas_sdio and libertas. It seems to be doing fine now.
I've already resumed several times after suspend, no more hangs.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have an XO-4 B1, OFW Q7B14, EC Firmware 0.3.10, os28.
>
> It won't resume after suspend, but sometimes it does. I couldn't
> reproduce the bug, but it happens most of the time.
>
> Here's the last lines of serial output before suspending:
>
>> [ 1893.876075] pxa168fb_release GFX layer, fbi 0 opened 4 times ----
>> [ 1911.036158] PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.
>> [ 1911.043380] Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.02 seconds)
>> done.
>> [ 1911.068796] Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.01
>> seconds) done.
>> [ 1911.091375] Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
>

> No more messages after this, I've pressed every button, but nothing happens.
> I only see some output from EC serial port when power button is pressed.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Emiliano

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions

Ing. Emiliano Pastorino
Centro Ceibal
Av. Italia 6201 Ed. Los Ceibos
Montevideo, Uruguay
Tel: (598) 2601 5773 int.: 2232

Re: XO-4 not resuming after suspend

Martin Langhoff
Great. Also the hw team is telling me that C1 units are more stable in
s/r than B1 units. A few problems only show up on B1s -- I had not
realized.

We don't have any C1 units to spare, but Ceibal should have a few of
them already. You might have to hunt one down...

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Emiliano Pastorino
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It does have an 8686.
> I've "rmmod'ed" libertas_sdio and libertas. It seems to be doing fine now.
> I've already resumed several times after suspend, no more hangs.
>

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Martin Langhoff <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Does it have an 8686 (loads libertas driver) or an 8787 (loads
>> mwifiex* drivers).
>>
>> Does it get better if you blacklist the wlan drivers, ensuring they
>> don't get loaded? You won't have wlan, of course...
>>
>> At this point, XO-4 with 8787 is very stable for us, so if it has
>> 8787, your report is a surprise, and we should diagnose further.
>>
>> If you have an 8686, we are hunting down some regressions which may
>> explain what you see -- Paul Fox is working on it right now.
>>
>> cheers,

>> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Emiliano Pastorino
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I have an XO-4 B1, OFW Q7B14, EC Firmware 0.3.10, os28.
>> >
>> > It won't resume after suspend, but sometimes it does. I couldn't
>> > reproduce the bug, but it happens most of the time.
>> >
>> > Here's the last lines of serial output before suspending:

>> > No more messages after this, I've pressed every button, but nothing
>> > happens.
>> > I only see some output from EC serial port when power button is pressed.
>> >
>> > Anyone else seeing this?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Emiliano

>> --
>>  [hidden email]
>>  [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
>>  - ask interesting questions
>>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
>>  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff
>

> --
> Ing. Emiliano Pastorino
> Centro Ceibal
> Av. Italia 6201 Ed. Los Ceibos
> Montevideo, Uruguay
> Tel: (598) 2601 5773 int.: 2232

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions

Re: XO-4 not resuming after suspend

Emiliano Pastorino-2
We don't have any C1 units to spare, but Ceibal should have a few of
them already. You might have to hunt one down...

Really? No one told me so... I'll try to track them...

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It does have an 8686.
> I've "rmmod'ed" libertas_sdio and libertas. It seems to be doing fine now.
> I've already resumed several times after suspend, no more hangs.
>

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Martin Langhoff <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Does it have an 8686 (loads libertas driver) or an 8787 (loads
>> mwifiex* drivers).
>>
>> Does it get better if you blacklist the wlan drivers, ensuring they
>> don't get loaded? You won't have wlan, of course...
>>
>> At this point, XO-4 with 8787 is very stable for us, so if it has
>> 8787, your report is a surprise, and we should diagnose further.
>>
>> If you have an 8686, we are hunting down some regressions which may
>> explain what you see -- Paul Fox is working on it right now.
>>
>> cheers,

>> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Emiliano Pastorino
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I have an XO-4 B1, OFW Q7B14, EC Firmware 0.3.10, os28.
>> >
>> > It won't resume after suspend, but sometimes it does. I couldn't
>> > reproduce the bug, but it happens most of the time.
>> >
>> > Here's the last lines of serial output before suspending:

>> > No more messages after this, I've pressed every button, but nothing
>> > happens.
>> > I only see some output from EC serial port when power button is pressed.
>> >
>> > Anyone else seeing this?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Emiliano

>> --
>>  [hidden email]
>>  [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
>>  - ask interesting questions
>>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
>>  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff
>

> --
> Ing. Emiliano Pastorino
> Centro Ceibal
> Av. Italia 6201 Ed. Los Ceibos
> Montevideo, Uruguay
> Tel: (598) 2601 5773 int.: 2232

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions

Ing. Emiliano Pastorino
Centro Ceibal
Av. Italia 6201 Ed. Los Ceibos
Montevideo, Uruguay
Tel: (598) 2601 5773 int.: 2232

Different boot sound on XO1.75

Juan Cubillo
Hello,

Quick question>  I have two 1.75XO that make a "beep beep" sound while
booting instead of the usual XO booting sound. Why is this so? Can this
be changed?

  - Juan

Re: Different boot sound on XO1.75

Daniel Drake-5
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Juan Cubillo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Quick question>  I have two 1.75XO that make a "beep beep" sound while
> booting instead of the usual XO booting sound. Why is this so? Can this be
> changed?

This likely means that you are running a new firmware on an old OS
release. Downgrading the firmware to the version that was intended for
that release should restore the bootup sound. (or, alternatively,
upgrade the OS to match the firmware)

I imagine James will provide a full explanation when he wakes up later on :)

If you are mixing versions on purpose, do note
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12637

Daniel

Re: Different boot sound on XO1.75

Juan Cubillo
That might be an option, but not in my case. Both XOs have Build 13.0.1
and Firmware Q4D28.

I'll wait for James to wake up :)

  - Juan

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Juan Cubillo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That might be an option, but not in my case. Both XOs have Build 13.0.1 and
> Firmware Q4D28.
>
> I'll wait for James to wake up :)

In the mean time maybe you can explain why changing firmware version
and/or OS version is not an option. It might help us give good advice.

Thanks
Daniel

Re: Different boot sound on XO1.75

Juan Cubillo
Just downgraded do Q4D20 and the original sound has been restored :)

I had no idea that certain OS versions had to be matched to certain
Firmware versions...
I always tried to keep up with the latest on my test machines.

  - Juan

On 06/20/2013 11:41 AM, Daniel Drake wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Juan Cubillo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That might be an option, but not in my case. Both XOs have Build 13.0.1 and
>> Firmware Q4D28.
>>
>> I'll wait for James to wake up :)
> In the mean time maybe you can explain why changing firmware version
> and/or OS version is not an option. It might help us give good advice.
>
> Thanks
> Daniel

Re: Different boot sound on XO1.75

Paul Fox-2
juan wrote:
 > Just downgraded do Q4D20 and the original sound has been restored :)
 >
 > I had no idea that certain OS versions had to be matched to certain
 > Firmware versions...
 > I always tried to keep up with the latest on my test machines.

we try very hard to maintain both forward and backward compatibility,
but of course that's not always possible.  i think the release notes
usually cover any major issues.

in this case, we needed to reclaim space in flash for the firmware, so
the startup jingle file was moved to the root filesystem.  the effect
is aesthetic only, but still surprising.

paul

 >   - Juan
 >
 > On 06/20/2013 11:41 AM, Daniel Drake wrote:
 > > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Juan Cubillo <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > >> That might be an option, but not in my case. Both XOs have Build 13.0.1 and
 > >> Firmware Q4D28.
 > >>
 > >> I'll wait for James to wake up :)
 > > In the mean time maybe you can explain why changing firmware version
 > > and/or OS version is not an option. It might help us give good advice.
 > >
 > > Thanks
 > > Daniel

Re: Different boot sound on XO1.75

James Cameron-2
So I've woken up.

The moved startup sound happened in Q4D26 [1] [2] and was intended
not to be noticed, since it should be on the filesystem after an
upgrade.  I'm kind of glad somebody noticed.  ;-) It shows other
combinations are being tested.

You can fix the problem on your XO-1.75 with 13.1.0 and Q4D28 by
downgrading to a version before Q4D26, copying the startup
sound, and then upgrading to Q4D28:

        ok copy rom:splash int:\boot\jingle.wav

You can also replace the startup sound with something else.  But some
sample rates, sample formats, or channel counts are invalid ... it is
best to use the existing sound as a basis for obtaining these.  The
sound should not be unduly long.

There are reasons why people upgrade to newer firmware, but some care
is needed.  Only yesterday I found sound was broken on an XO-1.75 with
12.1.0, because I had upgraded the firmware.  Daniel pointed out this
is #12637.  Upgrading the kernel to the latest 13.2.0 kernel fixed it.
Another example of mixing versions on purpose.