What I have to do for the same?

pascal
Hi,
I have a simple question:
when I use my XO-1, if I do nothing, after 15 sec, it changes to a
middle-suspend : only the screen isn't off.
So what I have to enable or disable to have the same on another init
mod (init 2 for example)?
Because I would to have the minimum of services (with my initdefault
on starting up), without modificate my init (5). So for the moment, I
have modificated the inittab, but now, I would to have the
middle-suspend on inactivited use.
How and what I have to do?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Pascal Diogo Antunes.

ps: sorry if i wrote on the wrong list, but i didn't have response on
the test@list.

Re: What I have to do for the same?

Paul Fox-2
[hidden email] wrote:
 > Hi,
 > I have a simple question:
 > when I use my XO-1, if I do nothing, after 15 sec, it changes to a
 > middle-suspend : only the screen isn't off.
 > So what I have to enable or disable to have the same on another init
 > mod (init 2 for example)?
 > Because I would to have the minimum of services (with my initdefault
 > on starting up), without modificate my init (5). So for the moment, I
 > have modificated the inittab, but now, I would to have the
 > middle-suspend on inactivited use.
 > How and what I have to do?

this is the correct list for your question.

the "middle suspend" you speak of, triggered by inactivity, is
provided by /usr/sbin/powerd.  powerd doesn't care about init
levels, so if you arrange to have powerd run in runlevel 2, then
you will get the same behavior you currently get in runlevel 5.

the configuration for powerd is found in /etc/powerd/powerd.conf.
there is more documentation in the comments in /usr/sbin/powerd itself.
(for better or worse, powerd is a shell script.)  any modifications
you make to the powerd configuration will take effect both in init 5
and in init 2.

paul

Quoting Paul Fox <[hidden email]>:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  > I have a simple question:
>  > when I use my XO-1, if I do nothing, after 15 sec, it changes to a
>  > middle-suspend : only the screen isn't off.
>  > So what I have to enable or disable to have the same on another init
>  > mod (init 2 for example)?
>  > Because I would to have the minimum of services (with my initdefault
>  > on starting up), without modificate my init (5). So for the moment, I
>  > have modificated the inittab, but now, I would to have the
>  > middle-suspend on inactivited use.
>  > How and what I have to do?
>
> this is the correct list for your question.
>
> the "middle suspend" you speak of, triggered by inactivity, is
> provided by /usr/sbin/powerd.  powerd doesn't care about init
> levels, so if you arrange to have powerd run in runlevel 2, then
> you will get the same behavior you currently get in runlevel 5.
>
> the configuration for powerd is found in /etc/powerd/powerd.conf.
> there is more documentation in the comments in /usr/sbin/powerd itself.
> (for better or worse, powerd is a shell script.)  any modifications
> you make to the powerd configuration will take effect both in init 5
> and in init 2.
>
> paul
>
>  >
>  > Thanks in advance.
>  >
>  > Best Regards,
>  > Pascal Diogo Antunes.
>  >
>  > ps: sorry if i wrote on the wrong list, but i didn't have response on
>  > the test@list.
>  >
>  > Devel mailing list
>  > [hidden email]
>  > http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
>
> =---------------------
>  paul fox, [hidden email]

Okay thanks.
The problem is on the init 2 mod, even with powerd runed, I have no
reactions (with screen blank or freeze) on a idle functionment.
I change the values on configuration, but it works only on init 5.
No big deal, I did simple test, I will do all what I want on init 5.
So you said all I needed.
Thanks.

Libere,
Pascal Diogo Antunes.

[hidden email] wrote:
 > Quoting Paul Fox <[hidden email]>:
 >
 > > [hidden email] wrote:
 > >  > Hi,
 > >  > I have a simple question:
 > >  > when I use my XO-1, if I do nothing, after 15 sec, it changes to a
 > >  > middle-suspend : only the screen isn't off.
 > >  > So what I have to enable or disable to have the same on another init
 > >  > mod (init 2 for example)?
 > >  > Because I would to have the minimum of services (with my initdefault
 > >  > on starting up), without modificate my init (5). So for the moment, I
 > >  > have modificated the inittab, but now, I would to have the
 > >  > middle-suspend on inactivited use.
 > >  > How and what I have to do?
 > >
 > > this is the correct list for your question.
 > >
 > > the "middle suspend" you speak of, triggered by inactivity, is
 > > provided by /usr/sbin/powerd.  powerd doesn't care about init
 > > levels, so if you arrange to have powerd run in runlevel 2, then
 > > you will get the same behavior you currently get in runlevel 5.
 > >
 > > the configuration for powerd is found in /etc/powerd/powerd.conf.
 > > there is more documentation in the comments in /usr/sbin/powerd itself.
 > > (for better or worse, powerd is a shell script.)  any modifications
 > > you make to the powerd configuration will take effect both in init 5
 > > and in init 2.
 > >
 > > paul
 > >
 > >  >
 > >  > Thanks in advance.
 > >  >
 > >  > Best Regards,
 > >  > Pascal Diogo Antunes.
 > >  >
 > >  > ps: sorry if i wrote on the wrong list, but i didn't have response on
 > >  > the test@list.
 > >  >
 > >  > _______________________________________________
 > >  > Devel mailing list
 > >  > [hidden email]
 > >  > http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
 > >
 > > =---------------------
 > >  paul fox, [hidden email]
 > >
 >
 > Okay thanks.
 > The problem is on the init 2 mod, even with powerd runed, I have no
 > reactions (with screen blank or freeze) on a idle functionment.
 > I change the values on configuration, but it works only on init 5.
 > No big deal, I did simple test, I will do all what I want on init 5.
 > So you said all I needed.

there are two other programs that i forgot about.  sorry.  you also
need to be sure that olpc-switchd and olpc-kbdshim are running in
init 2.  these are support programs that help powerd.

(you didn't say what software version you are running on your XO-1.
on recent systems, olpc-kbdshim is a standalone daemon, but on
earlier systems its invoked via hal.)

paul

 > Thanks.
 >
 > Libere,
 > Pascal Diogo Antunes.

Re: What I have to do for the same?

If you are using Sugar, you can also disable power management from the
control panel.

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a simple question:
> when I use my XO-1, if I do nothing, after 15 sec, it changes to a
> middle-suspend : only the screen isn't off.
> So what I have to enable or disable to have the same on another init mod
> (init 2 for example)?
> Because I would to have the minimum of services (with my initdefault on
> starting up), without modificate my init (5). So for the moment, I have
> modificated the inittab, but now, I would to have the middle-suspend on
> inactivited use.
> How and what I have to do?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
> Pascal Diogo Antunes.
>
> ps: sorry if i wrote on the wrong list, but i didn't have response on the
> test@list.

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions

martin wrote:
 > If you are using Sugar, you can also disable power management from the
 > control panel.

i believe pascal is trying to do something different.  i believe
he wants power management, but nothing else -- no X, no sugar.  so
he wants a different run-level to include power management.

paul

 > cheers,

 > On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > > Hi,
 > > I have a simple question:
 > > when I use my XO-1, if I do nothing, after 15 sec, it changes to a
 > > middle-suspend : only the screen isn't off.
 > > So what I have to enable or disable to have the same on another init mod
 > > (init 2 for example)?
 > > Because I would to have the minimum of services (with my initdefault on
 > > starting up), without modificate my init (5). So for the moment, I have
 > > modificated the inittab, but now, I would to have the middle-suspend on
 > > inactivited use.
 > > How and what I have to do?
 > >
 > > Thanks in advance.
 > >
 > > Best Regards,
 > > Pascal Diogo Antunes.
 > >
 > > ps: sorry if i wrote on the wrong list, but i didn't have response on the
 > > test@list.

 >  [hidden email]
 >  [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 >  - ask interesting questions
 >  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
 >  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

Re: What I have to do for the same?

pascal
Quoting Paul Fox <[hidden email]>:

> martin wrote:
>  > If you are using Sugar, you can also disable power management from the
>  > control panel.
>
> i believe pascal is trying to do something different.  i believe
> he wants power management, but nothing else -- no X, no sugar.  so
> he wants a different run-level to include power management.
>
> paul
>
>  >
>  > cheers,

right.
But now, I can't use my XO, it freezes on chargement animation - may
be due to a wrong inittab.
How can I fix it?

Libere,
Pascal Diogo Antunes.

[hidden email] wrote:

 > No, I put a wrong inittab (may be), and now the XO doesn't run (it
 > freezes on the chargement animation after 18 points). What can I do?

please continue to use the mailing list.  that way other people
besides me can see your questions and can help you.

push and hold the "checkmark" game key while turning on the power.
this may give more information as to what is happening:
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Startup_Diagnosis#Check-Key_Boot

if you cannot boot, you may be able to boot from a a USB stick,
and rescue your system.  for instance, you might be able to boot
"puppy linux":
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/PuppyLinux#XOpup.3B_Puppy_Linux_5.1_for_the_XO-1_and_the_XO-1.5

or, you could simply reinstall the OLPC software.

paul

 > Well, after this, I will test, but at this point I can't do nothing.
 >
 > Thanks.
 > Libere,
 > Pascal Diogo Antunes.

Re: What I have to do for the same?

pascal
Quoting Paul Fox <[hidden email]>:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>  >
>  > No, I put a wrong inittab (may be), and now the XO doesn't run (it
>  > freezes on the chargement animation after 18 points). What can I do?
>
> please continue to use the mailing list.  that way other people
> besides me can see your questions and can help you.
Sorry, It's a mistake - I clicked on reply, and not on reply to all.
I didn't mean it.

> push and hold the "checkmark" game key while turning on the power.
> this may give more information as to what is happening:
>     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Startup_Diagnosis#Check-Key_Boot

Great, it works.

Thanks.