VERY PRE-DRAFT XO-1.5 / Sugar 0.84 Getting Started Guide!

VERY PRE-DRAFT XO-1.5 / Sugar 0.84 Getting Started Guide!

Adam Holt-2
Luke Faraone just uploaded great new supercompact UI photographs from Mike Lee.
I and Dogi updated all the old HTML+image files from PICTURE.jpg/gif/png to...

    PICTURE-xo1.jpg/gif/png
    or
    PICTURE-xo15.jpg/gif/png in the case of Mike Lee's beautiful fresh images

We now need *tech-savvy* writers to each pick one or two of these 16 pages here and rewrite it to your best ability!
http://teach.laptop.org/~holt/laptoporg-refresh/10.2.0/gettingstarted/index.shtml

Please if you have XO-1.5 / Sugar 0.84 / Gnome 2.26.3 skills, take ownership of one of those 16 pages NOW!  Don't make our final-cut copyeditor professional volunteers wait -- as they keep telling me how eagerly they are waiting for YOU before they can help :-)  Jump at your big chance Tech Supportives, helping publish a dramatically modernized http://laptop.org/start friendly to newbies around the world very soon now :)

( instawiki tips, say hi! http://j.mp/laptopstartagenda )
( the full plan: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Start  )

Re: [IAEP] VERY PRE-DRAFT XO-1.5 / Sugar 0.84 Getting Started Guide!

Adam Holt-2
Kevin Cole wrote:
> I don't currently see a place for the GNOME screenshots I made...  nor
> the control panel for that matter.  Is that something for a future
> date?

Since the true genius behind this project is currently hiding in a
spectacular offline cabin this week in West Virginia :) I suggest folks
not wait for his return & start writing, thanks all!!

Re: VERY PRE-DRAFT XO-1.5 / Sugar 0.84 Getting Started Guide!

S Page-3
Sorry I'm late.

> http://teach.laptop.org/~holt/laptoporg-refresh/10.2.0/gettingstarted/index.shtml
This looks good, the screenshots are marvellous.

> ( instawiki tips, say hi! http://j.mp/laptopstartagenda )
I'm not sure what you mean by "instawiki tips" or what this j.mp short
link adds, but the http://openetherpad.com/rLJqVpmIz3 is very cool.  I
put a bunch of feedback in its chat sidebar, pasted below.

Are you still looking for direct bzr editors of the HTML?  I could
have a go, except  I only have an XO-1 running the os851 10.1.2
candidate.  Is that close to what 10.2.0 will be?

=S Page

- - - - my comments from http://openetherpad.com/rLJqVpmIz3 - - - -
August 14, 2010
In the "keyboard" page, I believe the grab keys already work to pan a
window. Press one and drag the mouse/on the touchpad, and most apps
pan around.

The "troubleshooting" page could usefully say something like "If the
laptop freezes or is slow to respond, Stop some activities to free
memory. You can restart the Sugar UI by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Erase. If
that doesn't work, turn off the laptop and power it back on.

"Troubleshooting" says "the hover menu on the Home View". a) only
available from Favorites view, b) it's not a hover menu if you
right-click. Need a standard phrase for this.

Homeview needs to explain Favorites "ring" vs. List view. You can only
get to the XO menu from the former, you can only search activities and
see their versions from the latter.

 Some of the stuff on "Home view" page is really description of the
Frame independent of home view.

 Home view should have callouts for the XO guy in the center (for the
Shutdown/My Settings menu) and the current activity underneath

 The Home view "Activity taskbar" explanation is wrong. Activities
appear at the top of the frame.

Re: VERY PRE-DRAFT XO-1.5 / Sugar 0.84 Getting Started Guide!

Adam Holt-2
Thanks S Page:
Can you integrate your changes into the latest Working Draft here?

    http://openetherpad.org/T7xDlqMHGq

As we're finally getting closer publishing this to http://laptop.org/start soon!

Luke F:
Direct bzr editors would be great as the finish line approaches, can you help set up S Page?

Sorry I'm late.