Touch Pad Double tap to select not working

Touch Pad Double tap to select not working

Bishnu Bidari
Dear All,

We have XO-4 with following configuration
- XO-4 Model SKU326
- sugar 0.100
- build 13.2.0
- firmware Q7B45
- touchpad : "FSPPS/2 - Sentelic AVC Finger Sensing Pad"

Everything works fine except the double tap to select on touchpad. Even with OK prompt test of touchpad, the double tap has no action.

same build on XO-4 model SKU320  with 'SynRelPS/2 - Synaptics" touchpad is working as expected.

What could be the solution?

Thanks,
Bishnu

Re: Touch Pad Double tap to select not working

James Cameron-2
This is called tap to click.  I see same result:

- XO-4 Model SKU301
- Sugar 0.103.2
- build 14.1.0 for XO-4 (build 9)
- firmware Q7C05
- touchpad type "FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad"

I tried using the builder instructions [1] to set register 0x42 to
0x87 but it did not stay set.  It is as if the register is read-only.

I fixed the builder instructions [1] because the "c" to "C" change has
moved into udev instead of olpc-configure.

I checked other documentation [2].

Please use olpc-fsp-fwread on your SKU320 and reply with result?

How many laptops have been tested in SKU326?

Does your SKU320 respond at firmware ok prompt "test /mouse"?

We do not test this feature during manufacturing, because it isn't in
our operating system, and isn't in specifications.

--

My SKU301 results:

# dmesg | egrep 'psmouse|serio1'
psmouse serio1: sentelic: Finger Sensing Pad, hw: 13.2.6, sn: 0, sw: 1.1.0-K
input: FSPPS/2 Sentelic FingerSensingPad as /devices/d4290000.ap-sp/serio1/input/input9

# /usr/bin/olpc-fsp-regs verify
unexpected readback for 42: 42e7

# olpc-fsp-fwread
Got FSP at /sys/bus/serio/drivers/psmouse/serio1
0x82a5 = 0x05
0x82a6 = 0x12
0x82a7 = 0x90
0x820b = 0x2a
0x820e = 0x2a
0x8215 = 0x64
0x8217 = 0xaa
0x821b = 0x6f
0x8230 = 0xa0
0x8242 = 0xe7
0x8243 = 0x01
0x8245 = 0x21
0x8247 = 0x44
0x8250 = 0x1f
0x8254 = 0x1a
0x825f = 0xcc
0x8264 = 0x63
0x8265 = 0x63
0x8266 = 0x44
0x8267 = 0x66
0x826c = 0xa8
0x826d = 0x8a
0x826e = 0x40
0x827e = 0x0e
0x82ce = 0x02
0x82f0 = 0x3a
0x8339 = 0x0b
0x8350 = 0x1e
0x8351 = 0x1e
0x8385 = 0x00
0x8241 = 0xdf
0x8248 = 0xa3
0x8261 = 0x00
0x8204 = 0x06
0x821a = 0x22
0x821e = 0x14
0x821f = 0x0e
#

1.  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_Builder/Enable_taptoclick

2.  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Touchpad/AVC_Sentelic_FSP_configuration

Re: Touch Pad Double tap to select not working

Bishnu Bidari
Actually i find out that we have two set os SKU320 one with Synaptic touch pad and other with Sentelic. And the Sentelic one is not working. And this SKU326 have Sentelic touch pad.

yes my SKU320 respond with "test /mouse"

i followed instruction on http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_Builder/Enable_taptoclick but noticed no change.

SKU320 with synaptic result no output( which is working)
bash-4.2# dmesg | egrep 'psmouse|serio1'
bash-4.2# /usr/bin/olpc-fsp-regs verify
bash-4.2# olpc-fsp-fwread
Error: unable to locate FSP.

SKU320 with Sentelic one have following result
  1. SKU320 with faulty touchpad
  2.
  3. bash-4.2# dmesg | egrep 'psmouse|serio1'
  4. bash-4.2# /usr/bin/olpc-fsp-regs verify
  5.
  6.
  7. bash-4.2# olpc-fsp-fwread
  8. Got FSP at /sys/bus/serio/drivers/psmouse/serio1
  9. 0x82a5 = 0x05
  10. 0x82a6 = 0x12
  11. 0x82a7 = 0x90
  12. 0x820b = 0x2a
  13. 0x820e = 0x2a
  14. 0x8215 = 0x64
  15. 0x8217 = 0xaa
  16. 0x821b = 0x6f
  17. 0x8230 = 0xa0
  18. 0x8242 = 0xe7
  19. 0x8243 = 0x01
  20. 0x8245 = 0x21
  21. 0x8247 = 0x44
  22. 0x8250 = 0x1f
  23. 0x8254 = 0x1a
  24. 0x825f = 0xcc
  25. 0x8264 = 0x63
  26. 0x8265 = 0x63
  27. 0x8266 = 0x44
  28. 0x8267 = 0x66
  29. 0x826c = 0xa8
  30. 0x826d = 0x8a
  31. 0x826e = 0x40
  32. 0x827e = 0x0e
  33. 0x82ce = 0x02
  34. 0x82f0 = 0x3a
  35. 0x8339 = 0x0b
  36. 0x8350 = 0x1e
  37. 0x8351 = 0x1e
  38. 0x8385 = 0x00
  39. 0x8241 = 0xdf
  40. 0x8248 = 0xa3
  41. 0x8261 = 0x00
  42. 0x8204 = 0x06
  43. 0x821a = 0x20
  44. 0x821e = 0x11
  45. 0x821f = 0x0c

Thanks,
Bishnu

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 11:47 AM, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the test.

I agree, the Sentelic touchpad on XO-4 does not have tap to click
feature now.

I don't think it is a fault; it was a feature we didn't want, and
didn't test for.

Re: Touch Pad Double tap to select not working

Bishnu Bidari
Thanks James.

But on
 /lib/udev/olpc_mouse_setup file i find a block which is

# For AVC touchpads, disable tap-to-click and extra scrolling areas, and
# apply a custom register configuration.
if [ "$protocol" = "FSPPS/2" ]; then
logger -t olpc_mouse_setup "Configuring AVC touchpad"
# disable tap-to-click and extra scrolling areas
if [ -e $serio_dev_path/vscroll ]; then
echo -n 0 > $serio_dev_path/vscroll
echo -n 0 > $serio_dev_path/hscroll
echo -n c > $serio_dev_path/flags
fi
exec /usr/bin/olpc-fsp-regs set
fi

does "Sentelic" means "AVC"?
I tired changing the "c" to "C" and even commented out that line but with no luck.

Thanks,
Bishnu

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 02:36:45PM +0545, Bishnu Bidari wrote:

> Thanks James.
>
> But on
>  /lib/udev/olpc_mouse_setup file i find a block which is
>
> # For AVC touchpads, disable tap-to-click and extra scrolling areas, and
> # apply a custom register configuration.
> if [ "$protocol" = "FSPPS/2" ]; then
> logger -t olpc_mouse_setup "Configuring AVC touchpad"
> # disable tap-to-click and extra scrolling areas
> if [ -e $serio_dev_path/vscroll ]; then
> echo -n 0 > $serio_dev_path/vscroll
> echo -n 0 > $serio_dev_path/hscroll
> echo -n c > $serio_dev_path/flags
> fi
> exec /usr/bin/olpc-fsp-regs set
> fi

Yes.  This is part of olpc-utils package.  It disables tap-to-click on
touchpads that support tap-to-click.

> does "Sentelic" means "AVC"?

Yes.

> I tired changing the "c" to "C" and even commented out that line but
> with no luck.

Yes, same here.  No luck.

It is either new touchpad firmware, or newer touchpad than previous
touchpad.  Perhaps it does not support tap-to-click.

Re: Touch Pad Double tap to select not working

Martin Langhoff
On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 5:04 AM, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is either new touchpad firmware, or newer touchpad than previous
touchpad.

Or a new kernel.

Is the protocol in use FSPPS/2 ? If not, kernel may be missing FSP support, and reverting to "classic" compat protocol.

cheers,

martin
 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> James Cameron wrote:
> > It is either new touchpad firmware, or newer touchpad than
> > previous touchpad.
>
> Or a new kernel.

Good idea; it may be the XO-4 kernel never had this feature working.
The XO-4 with working tap-to-click have different touchpad model.

> Is the protocol in use FSPPS/2 ? If not, kernel may be missing FSP
> support, and reverting to "classic" compat protocol.

CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SENTELIC=y is in .config, so this seems correct.

Re: Touch Pad Double tap to select not working

Martin Langhoff

Then maybe this is a new variant of Sentelic board which only works partially with the driver in this kernel.

This looks like a deep rabbit hole :-/

On May 20, 2015 6:36 PM, "James Cameron" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Martin Langhoff wrote:
> James Cameron wrote:
> > It is either new touchpad firmware, or newer touchpad than
> > previous touchpad.
>
> Or a new kernel.

Good idea; it may be the XO-4 kernel never had this feature working.
The XO-4 with working tap-to-click have different touchpad model.

> Is the protocol in use FSPPS/2 ? If not, kernel may be missing FSP
> support, and reverting to "classic" compat protocol.

CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SENTELIC=y is in .config, so this seems correct.

Re: Touch Pad Double tap to select not working

Bishnu Bidari
As the XO with this touchpad is not even have tap-to-click on OK prompt test. Hence IMHO, the firmware is not supporting either.

Thanks,
Bishnu

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> James Cameron wrote:
> > It is either new touchpad firmware, or newer touchpad than
> > previous touchpad.
>
> Or a new kernel.

Good idea; it may be the XO-4 kernel never had this feature working.
The XO-4 with working tap-to-click have different touchpad model.

> Is the protocol in use FSPPS/2 ? If not, kernel may be missing FSP
> support, and reverting to "classic" compat protocol.

CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SENTELIC=y is in .config, so this seems correct.

Re: Touch Pad Double tap to select not working

James Cameron-2
And your Synaptics touchpads do work in firmware ok prompt on XO-4?

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 05:47:49AM +0545, Bishnu Bidari wrote:

> As the XO with this touchpad is not even have tap-to-click on OK prompt test.
> Hence IMHO, the firmware is not supporting either.
>
> Thanks,
> Bishnu
>
> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Martin Langhoff <[1][hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     Then maybe this is a new variant of Sentelic board which only works
>     partially with the driver in this kernel.
>
>     This looks like a deep rabbit hole :-/

>     On May 20, 2015 6:36 PM, "James Cameron" <[2][hidden email]> wrote:
>
>         Martin Langhoff wrote:
>         > James Cameron wrote:
>         > > It is either new touchpad firmware, or newer touchpad than
>         > > previous touchpad.
>         >
>         > Or a new kernel.
>
>         Good idea; it may be the XO-4 kernel never had this feature working.
>         The XO-4 with working tap-to-click have different touchpad model.
>
>         > Is the protocol in use FSPPS/2 ? If not, kernel may be missing FSP
>         > support, and reverting to "classic" compat protocol.
>
>         CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SENTELIC=y is in .config, so this seems correct.
>
>         --
>         James Cameron
>         [3]http://quozl.linux.org.au/

> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
> [2] mailto:[hidden email]
> [3] http://quozl.linux.org.au/

Re: Touch Pad Double tap to select not working

Bishnu Bidari
Yes. SKU320 with Synaptics touchpad works in OK prompt test and on Sugar.
James do we need firmware support particular device for it to work  with Sugar?
Or can we hack the driver to introduce this tap-to-click feature even when the hardware can't do it?( because i think tap-to-click can be detected using 1 or two flags like detecting whether the finger moved after first touch. )

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 06:09:21AM +0545, Bishnu Bidari wrote:
> Yes. SKU320 with Synaptics touchpad works in OK prompt test and on
> Sugar.

Thanks.  That test confirms that the system firmware can be used to
test the tap-to-click feature.

> James do we need firmware support particular device for it to work
>  with Sugar?

The touchpad firmware or the touchpad hardware is probably missing the
tap-to-click feature.  We do not have support procedures for upgrading
touchpad firmware; the touchpad arrives fully programmed.

> Or can we hack the driver to introduce this tap-to-click feature
> even when the hardware can't do it?( because i think tap-to-click
> can be detected using 1 or two flags like detecting whether the
> finger moved after first touch. )

I don't know.

Tap-to-click is not in the XO-4 laptop specification, and is not tested.