The mouse touch pad doesn't work on XO4

Basanta Shrestha
Hi list,
Just realized that the mouse touchpad doesn't work for XO4. Has it been disabled on purpose ? is there a way to enable it ?

-basanta

Re: The mouse touch pad doesn't work on XO4

Paul Fox-2
basanta wrote:
 > Hi list,
 > Just realized that the mouse touchpad doesn't work for XO4. Has it been
 > disabled on purpose ? is there a way to enable it ?

is this on a single XO-4?  the touchpad should work fine.

paul

Re: The mouse touch pad doesn't work on XO4

John Watlington

Seconding what Paul said, the touchpad on XO-4
should be fully functional.   If you have one that isn't, I would
first test it from Open Firmware (halt the laptop boot in Open
Firmware --- at the ok prompt ---- and type:    test /mouse

If that indicates a problem, see:

Cheers,
wad

On Nov 21, 2013, at 5:29 AM, Basanta Shrestha wrote:

Hi list,
Just realized that the mouse touchpad doesn't work for XO4. Has it been disabled on purpose ? is there a way to enable it ?

-basanta

Re: The mouse touch pad doesn't work on XO4

Basanta Shrestha
Sorry for the confusion. The mouse pad is working okay, what I was trying to refer to was "hit on the pad" to click.  On XO-1, I am able to hit on the pad to get the effect of mouse click ( left click) which I can not in XO-4.
-basanta

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 2:58 AM, John Watlington <[hidden email]> wrote:

Seconding what Paul said, the touchpad on XO-4
should be fully functional.   If you have one that isn't, I would
first test it from Open Firmware (halt the laptop boot in Open
Firmware --- at the ok prompt ---- and type:    test /mouse

If that indicates a problem, see:

Cheers,
wad

On Nov 21, 2013, at 5:29 AM, Basanta Shrestha wrote:

Hi list,
Just realized that the mouse touchpad doesn't work for XO4. Has it been disabled on purpose ? is there a way to enable it ?

-basanta

Basanta Shrestha
Network Engineer
Open Learning Exchange (OLE) Nepal
Tel: +977.1.5544441, 5520075 Ext. 303
Cell: +977.9818 605110
http://www.olenepal.org

Re: The mouse touch pad doesn't work on XO4

James Cameron-2
Have you enabled the feature in your builds?

The tap to click feature is disabled by default in our OLPC OS builds,
because of the installed base of existing learners who were not
familiar with it.

In new deployments to inexperienced learners, it may be enabled before
build.

See
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_Builder/Enable_taptoclick

Also, identify the touchpad on your XO-4 and XO-1.  The actions to
enable depend on the touchpad type.

See
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Touchpad/Testing#Identification

Perhaps it is working on XO-1 because your build has the enable for
the type of touchpad in your XO-1, and not working on XO-4 because the
build does not have the enable for the type of touchpad in your XO-4.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you enabled the feature in your builds?

The tap to click feature is disabled by default in our OLPC OS builds,
because of the installed base of existing learners who were not
familiar with it.

In new deployments to inexperienced learners, it may be enabled before
build.

See
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_Builder/Enable_taptoclick

Also, identify the touchpad on your XO-4 and XO-1.  The actions to
enable depend on the touchpad type.

See
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Touchpad/Testing#Identification

Its SynRelPS/2

And I created file /etc/modprobe.d/olpc-psmouse.conf with line
options psmouse proto=bare taptoclick=1

But it altogether made my touchpad to stop functioning.

Perhaps it is working on XO-1 because your build has the enable for
the type of touchpad in your XO-1, and not working on XO-4 because the
build does not have the enable for the type of touchpad in your XO-4.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 09:57:48AM +0545, Basanta Shrestha wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion. The mouse pad is working okay, what I was trying to
> refer to was "hit on the pad" to click.  On XO-1, I am able to hit on the pad
> to get the effect of mouse click ( left click) which I can not in XO-4.
> -basanta
>

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 2:58 AM, John Watlington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>     Seconding what Paul said, the touchpad on XO-4
>     should be fully functional.   If you have one that isn't, I would
>     first test it from Open Firmware (halt the laptop boot in Open
>     Firmware --- at the ok prompt ---- and type:    test /mouse
>
>     If that indicates a problem, see:
>     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Keyboard#
>     Is_the_touchpad_unresponsive_.3F
>
>     Cheers,
>     wad
>
>     On Nov 21, 2013, at 5:29 AM, Basanta Shrestha wrote:
>

>         Hi list,
>         Just realized that the mouse touchpad doesn't work for XO4. Has it been
>         disabled on purpose ? is there a way to enable it ?
>
>         -basanta

> Basanta Shrestha
> Network Engineer
> Open Learning Exchange (OLE) Nepal
> Tel: <a href="tel:%2B977.1.5544441" value="+97715544441">+977.1.5544441, 5520075 Ext. 303
> Cell: <a href="tel:%2B977.9818%20605110" value="+9779818605110">+977.9818 605110
> http://www.olenepal.org

Basanta Shrestha
Network Engineer
Open Learning Exchange (OLE) Nepal
Tel: +977.1.5544441, 5520075 Ext. 303
Cell: +977.9818 605110
http://www.olenepal.org

Re: The mouse touch pad doesn't work on XO4

Daniel Drake-5
On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 4:49 AM, Basanta Shrestha
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Its SynRelPS/2
>
> And I created file /etc/modprobe.d/olpc-psmouse.conf with line
> options psmouse proto=bare taptoclick=1
>
> But it altogether made my touchpad to stop functioning.

Looks like that wiki page is out of date for recent software releases.

Should be possible to change this by tweaking the value in the
disable_gesture file in /sys.
find /sys -name disable_gesture

Daniel

Re: The mouse touch pad doesn't work on XO4

Basanta Shrestha
yes it works! But the value goes back to original ie. '1' after reboot and /etc/rc.local doesn't work here. We are working on it. But anyway, it works. Thank you.
-Basanta

--
Basanta Shrestha
Network Engineer
Open Learning Exchange (OLE) Nepal
Tel: +977.1.5544441, 5520075 Ext. 303
Cell: +977.9818 605110
http://www.olenepal.org

Re: The mouse touch pad doesn't work on XO4

Martin Langhoff
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:07 AM, Basanta Shrestha
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> yes it works! But the value goes back to original ie. '1' after reboot and
> /etc/rc.local doesn't work here.

It works, but it will get overridden by olpc-configure which runs later.

Change olpc-configure, or run your fixup after olpc-configure.

 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff

Re: The mouse touch pad doesn't work on XO4

Daniel Drake-5
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Martin Langhoff
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:07 AM, Basanta Shrestha
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> yes it works! But the value goes back to original ie. '1' after reboot and
>> /etc/rc.local doesn't work here.
>
> It works, but it will get overridden by olpc-configure which runs later.

I don't think /etc/rc.local does work. The correct path is /etc/rc.d/rc.local

> Change olpc-configure, or run your fixup after olpc-configure.

The mouse setup is done by udev.
/lib/udev/olpc_mouse_setup

rc.local will probably run after this is done but that may not be guaranteed.

If that turns out to be unreliable, the write to disable_gesture could
be done in olpc_mouse_setup after this line:

  echo -n "SynRelPS/2" > $protocol_path

Daniel