Testing Summary: Auckland - 21 August 2010

Testing Summary: Auckland - 21 August 2010

Tabitha Roder-5
Testing Summary: Auckland - 21 August 2010
Who: Calvin, Fabiana, Nevyn, Robin, Tabitha, Tom

XO-1.5 testing os373pyg

Physics - created several motors that didn't turn until one was dragged, which triggered them all to start. There were about 100 items in the activity screen. Otherwise, Physics ran well.

Write - great, tested tables and pictures and formatting changes, all worked, though it would be good to be able to anchor the picture. Tested collaboration on XO created network with two XOs.

Record - could create audio, pictures and video files, but playing audio file from Journal opened Jukebox and gave an error message - ticket http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2202
Jukebox - could not play audio file created in Record, see ticket 2202

Speak - concerned about the content. The robot strongly believes in Christianity. We were quite concerned by its views on homosexuality, murder, and other acts. About the best response we got was when it told you to go ask Lucy, Simon, or Elvis. Are the laptops being deployed in any countries that are strongly not Christian? It quoted the bible a few times which could cause issues. Where it picks an answer from a pool of potential answers, it could cause offense as it changes between yes, no and maybe.

Finance - great

Measure - okay. Rising / falling edge matches both rising and falling edge. Raised ticket http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2203. An addition to this activity would be the addition of a freeform measure tool so you can accurately measure the wave form.

Typing turtle - great

Visual match - very challenging for a Saturday morning, but all seemed to work.

Turtleart - great

Scratch - great

eToys - got lost but user impatience, nothing wrong with the activity

Paint - great

Colors - great

Memorize - great, but did have an issue with resetting touchpad - it would think I was giving it commands for the game

Words game - can only translate from English to other languages. We wanted to translate from Spanish to English - as this is a Paraguay build. http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2211
Does not update translation when you switch languages. http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2210
Also got some strange characters in the translation. Words displays incorrect translation for words that are not in the dictionary. http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2212
Italian translation of Mast in Words displayed incorrectly. http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2213
Also  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2214 and http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2215

Abacus - great

Labyrinth - great

Read - page up / down game keys don't work  - http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2206

Tamtam mini - great

Tamtam jam - great

Stopwatch - great

Implode - great

Arithmetic - great

Terminal - great

Chat - two XOs on local wireless network successfully used chat

Distance - two XOs on local wireless network successfully used distance, wasn't too bad with interference either actually (music in bar)

Rotate key on XO-1.0 - messes up the view in every activity - poor layout and graphics corruption. http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2205
Rotate key on XO-1.5 - doesnt work at all in any activity.

It would be useful if when you stop an activity there was an option to not keep what you were doing, instead of being forced to keep.

There was no mesh network in this build?

Tickets raised today relating to this testing session:
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2209 - os373pyg on XO-1.0 shows linux startup messages rather than sugar splashscreen
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2210
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2211
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2212
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2213
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2214
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2215

Also discussed Software Freedom Day - we now have a confirmed venue. 18 September 10am - 4pm. Orion Cafe, cnr Mary and Enfield St, Mt Eden.

Thanks testers
Tabitha

Re: Testing Summary: Auckland - 21 August 2010

Chris Ball-8
Hi Tabitha,

   > XO-1.5 testing os373pyg

(FWIW, it'd be great if you could test the latest 10.1.2 candidate
build; we're going to release it soon.)

   > Speak - concerned about the content. The robot strongly believes
   > in Christianity. We were quite concerned by its views on
   > homosexuality, murder, and other acts. About the best response we
   > got was when it told you to go ask Lucy, Simon, or Elvis. Are the
   > laptops being deployed in any countries that are strongly not
   > Christian? It quoted the bible a few times which could cause
   > issues. Where it picks an answer from a pool of potential
   > answers, it could cause offense as it changes between yes, no and
   > maybe.

Wow, I had no idea.  The answers are stored in text files, inside
Speak.activity/bot/alice/*.aiml.

Would anyone be interested in volunteering to strip out the concerning
content and send a patch?

   > Words game - can only translate from English to other
   > languages. We wanted to translate from Spanish to English

I think this is a UI misunderstanding (UI patches welcome) -- you can
type a word in either of the two current languages, and it will show
the translation for it.  You don't have to tell it which direction you
want to translate in before you type; it figures that out based on
what the word was.

   > Also got some strange characters in the translation.

Unfortunately the state of free translating dictionaries is not very
good, so we often find markup and notes inside the translation field,
or attempts at accents that didn't quite work.  The translations are
stored in Words.activity/lang/*.txt.

   > Words displays incorrect translation for words that are not in
   > the dictionary.

It'll continue to show the last translation it had for the series of
characters as you were typing, but won't put a translation up into the
answer text box above.  (It does this because it doesn't know when
you've finished typing.)

Thanks for the testing!

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <[hidden email]>
One Laptop Per Child

Re: Testing Summary: Auckland - 21 August 2010

Sridhar Dhanapalan
On 21 August 2010 13:36, Tabitha Roder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Speak - concerned about the content. The robot strongly believes in
> Christianity. We were quite concerned by its views on homosexuality, murder,
> and other acts. About the best response we got was when it told you to go
> ask Lucy, Simon, or Elvis. Are the laptops being deployed in any countries
> that are strongly not Christian? It quoted the bible a few times which could
> cause issues. Where it picks an answer from a pool of potential answers, it
> could cause offense as it changes between yes, no and maybe.

You just reminded me of something I discovered a while back, then
promptly forgot about :s

Going from my recollection...

Ask: "Is the Bible true?"
Response: "The Bible is a great source of wisdom"

Ask: "Is the Koran true?"
Response: "If the Koran is true I'd be very surprised"

Yikes!

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Technical Manager
One Laptop per Child (OLPC) Australia
p: +61 425 239 701
w: http://laptop.org.au

Re: Testing Summary: Auckland - 21 August 2010

Chris Ball-8
Hi,

   > You just reminded me of something I discovered a while back, then
   > promptly forgot about :s

Yeah, was awful.

In case it's unclear, this was promptly fixed last month with Speak-18.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <[hidden email]>
One Laptop Per Child

Re: Testing Summary: Auckland - 21 August 2010

Luke Faraone
Administrator
On 09/16/2010 11:50 PM, Chris Ball wrote:
> In case it's unclear, this was promptly fixed last month with Speak-18.

Not fully. "grep -i sex bot/" from the root of the source, and you'll
see there are a bunch of things that haven't been removed. (Grepping for
other potentially inappropriate words turned up more things)

More work may be needed. Perhaps there are some universal,
culture-neutral, school-appropriate databases which we won't have to
scrutinize so carefully which might be a better choice?

--
╒═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╕
│Luke Faraone                          ╭Debian / Ubuntu Developer╮│

Re: Testing Summary: Auckland - 21 August 2010

Chris Ball-8
Hi,

   > Not fully. "grep -i sex bot/" from the root of the source, and
   > you'll see there are a bunch of things that haven't been
   > removed.

I see hooks to answer user questions about sex, but the answers
themselves seem inoffensive and you have to type in a question about
sex to see them.  Did you find an answer that was inappropriate?

   > (Grepping for other potentially inappropriate words turned up
   > more things)

If you find answers (not questions) that are inappropriate, please
drop me a mail with them.

   > More work may be needed. Perhaps there are some universal,
   > culture-neutral, school-appropriate databases which we won't
   > have to scrutinize so carefully which might be a better choice?

Remember that we're shipping a not-particularly-censored copy of
Wikipedia with the laptops.  If you find something that is clearly
unacceptable (as was the bot's claimed adherence to one religion)
then we should remove it, but we aren't trying to remove anything
that could offend someone just for the sake of doing so.

Thanks,

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <[hidden email]>
One Laptop Per Child

Re: Testing Summary: Auckland - 21 August 2010

Simon Schampijer-2
On 09/17/2010 07:10 PM, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     >  Not fully. "grep -i sex bot/" from the root of the source, and
>     >  you'll see there are a bunch of things that haven't been
>     >  removed.
>
> I see hooks to answer user questions about sex, but the answers
> themselves seem inoffensive and you have to type in a question about
> sex to see them.  Did you find an answer that was inappropriate?

FWIW, when the original issue with the religion specific answers turned
up I grepped the sources for other outstanding answers and I did not
find anything that seemed worth removing.

Regards,
    Simon