Suggested Activity Chapter Structure

Christoph Derndorfer
Hi all,

I just put up my suggestion for the structure of Activity Chapters up on http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Help_Activity_refresh#Suggested_Activity_Chapter_Structure

It's basically a mashup of the structure Walter used for the XoEditor (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/XoEditor) and Portfolio (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Portfolio), Caryl's work on Tam Tam, the structure in the 2008 Help Activity, some suggestions made by Mark Battley, and some of my own thoughts.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]

Re: [support-gang] Suggested Activity Chapter Structure

Caryl Bigenho
Good structure, but it is a bit long. Some people will feel that they need to have every topic.  Also, prefer to use "Learning With <Activity>" instead of "Using <Activity>" or "Applying <Activity>."  Learning is what this is all about... right?
Caryl

Re: [support-gang] Suggested Activity Chapter Structure

Cherry Withers

Yep. That left hand section on the current manual is very long as it is. With additional activities/topics suggested for this version, people would have to scroll WAY down to find what they are looking for.

I feel some of these sections need to be consolidated.

On Apr 6, 2012 3:40 PM, "Caryl Bigenho" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good structure, but it is a bit long. Some people will feel that they need to have every topic.  Also, prefer to use "Learning With <Activity>" instead of "Using <Activity>" or "Applying <Activity>."  Learning is what this is all about... right?
Caryl

Re: [support-gang] Suggested Activity Chapter Structure

forster@ozonline.com.au
I added an abbreviated alternative at the wiki

Deleted things like where to get it and reporting bugs

Tony

> >  Good structure, but it is a bit long. Some people will feel that they
> > need to have every topic.  Also, prefer to use "Learning With <Activity>"
> > instead of "Using <Activity>" or "Applying <Activity>."  Learning is what
> > this is all about... right?
> > Caryl

Re: [support-gang] Suggested Activity Chapter Structure

Christoph Derndorfer
Thanks a lot for the fast feedback.

@Caryl: "Using" for me is the more traditional manual-style (which we have right now) and focuses on what the software does. I do believe that this should be separate from the "Applying" or your "Learning with" (which I much prefer over "Applying").

@Cherry: Given that the content we produce here won't just be available in the form of the current Help Activity (but also on wiki pages, a possible print edition, an online version, etc.) the length of a menu in one of these options shouldn't dictate our content choices IMHO. Aside of that: Which sections do you think we should consolidate?

@Tony: Similarly to my comment to Cherry I think that the alternative you suggest might well be better suited for a specific artifact such as the print edition but I do think there's a value to having "where to get it" and "reporting bugs" on other artifacts such as w.l.o. Plus I also think that the "where to get it" information (most likely pointing towards ASLO) is useful as it's a place to get updates, etc. while the Control Panel's Update functionality isn't completely doing its job.

Just my 2 eurocents,
Christoph

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added an abbreviated alternative at the wiki

Deleted things like where to get it and reporting bugs

Tony

> >  Good structure, but it is a bit long. Some people will feel that they
> > need to have every topic.  Also, prefer to use "Learning With <Activity>"
> > instead of "Using <Activity>" or "Applying <Activity>."  Learning is what
> > this is all about... right?
> > Caryl

Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]

Re: [support-gang] Suggested Activity Chapter Structure

Christoph Derndorfer
Good morning everyone,

I added a modified version of the chapter structure to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Help_Activity_refresh#Suggested_Activity_Chapter_Structure which is based on a discussion with Walter.

Personally I tend to believe that we should start thinking about locking this down as the canonical, full version for each Activity. Again, your milage may vary depending on the Activity and I don't think we should consider this to be the absolute law. But it's a good starting point and since it's day 2 of 5 we should stick to it and move on with writing text rather than discussing this for much more (at least that's my 2 eurocents).

I'm on IRC (#olpc-help) and Skype in case anyone wants to get in touch directly.

Cheers,
Christoph

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Christoph Derndorfer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks a lot for the fast feedback.

@Caryl: "Using" for me is the more traditional manual-style (which we have right now) and focuses on what the software does. I do believe that this should be separate from the "Applying" or your "Learning with" (which I much prefer over "Applying").

@Cherry: Given that the content we produce here won't just be available in the form of the current Help Activity (but also on wiki pages, a possible print edition, an online version, etc.) the length of a menu in one of these options shouldn't dictate our content choices IMHO. Aside of that: Which sections do you think we should consolidate?

@Tony: Similarly to my comment to Cherry I think that the alternative you suggest might well be better suited for a specific artifact such as the print edition but I do think there's a value to having "where to get it" and "reporting bugs" on other artifacts such as w.l.o. Plus I also think that the "where to get it" information (most likely pointing towards ASLO) is useful as it's a place to get updates, etc. while the Control Panel's Update functionality isn't completely doing its job.

Just my 2 eurocents,
Christoph

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added an abbreviated alternative at the wiki

Deleted things like where to get it and reporting bugs

Tony

> >  Good structure, but it is a bit long. Some people will feel that they
> > need to have every topic.  Also, prefer to use "Learning With <Activity>"
> > instead of "Using <Activity>" or "Applying <Activity>."  Learning is what
> > this is all about... right?
> > Caryl

Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]

--
Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]

Re: [support-gang] Suggested Activity Chapter Structure

Christoph Derndorfer
Ed was kind enough to create a quick template for this latest version of the Activity structure at the bottom of the  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Help_Activity_refresh#Suggested_Activity_Chapter_Structure section which people can simply copy-paste into their newly created Activity sub-pages.

Cheers,
Christoph