Sugar on a low-cost tablet for an NGO in India

Sugar on a low-cost tablet for an NGO in India

badday
Hi there,

first of all, this is my first post to this mailing list, so a warm welcome to everybody.

I am currently working in an NGO in India and want to use Sugar as a tool of education. Therefore I bought a low-cost tablet, rooted it and installed Fedora ARM in a chroot environment together with Sugar. Now all that works and via VNC I have the graphical interface running smoothly including all activities (at least I did not find any not working). If there is a general interest in this project, I will post a detailed way to do that.

However, the reason I started to get some interest in this project was an article on MIT Technology Review ( http://www.technologyreview.com/news/506466/given-tablets-but-no-teachers-ethiopian-children-teach-themselves/ ) describing the great success of using tablets in Ethiopia.

I now face some struggle where to find all the software and material used in that project as in the sugar labs activity website I can hardly find what I was looking for. It would also be nice if somebody could tell me about the localization process regarding Hindi as I could not find too much on the web about it.

Thank you all very much.

Martin

Sugar on a low-cost tablet for an NGO in India

Joanne Clemente

I would be interested in a detailed plan to install Sugar and Activities on a low cost tablet. I work in Uganda.

Thanks,

Joanne

Joanne Clemente, Ed. D.

Academic Technology:

Faculty Trainer, Blackboard, Portal, MapWorks, TheLearningHouse Administrator

Dominican College

470 Western Highway

Orangeburg, NY 10962

845.848.4017

It is better to be good than to be right.