Sugar on Ubuntu Intrepid broken

Edward Cherlin
mokurai@mokurai-laptop:~$ sugar-emulator
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sugar-emulator", line 22, in <module>
    from emulator import main
  File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/emulator.py", line 31, in <module>
    from sugar import env
ImportError: No module named sugar

And Children are my nation.

Re: Sugar on Ubuntu Intrepid broken

Luke Faraone
Administrator
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 17:07, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
mokurai@mokurai-laptop:~$ sugar-emulator
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/sugar-emulator", line 22, in <module>
   from emulator import main
 File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/emulator.py", line 31, in <module>
   from sugar import env
ImportError: No module named sugar

Edward, this is not a Sugar problem, please ask about it on the sugar-ubuntu mailing list.

In any case, how did you install sugar, exactly? It works fine for me on a fresh intrepid install.

Please provide more details.

-lf

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Luke Faraone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 17:07, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> mokurai@mokurai-laptop:~$ sugar-emulator
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "/usr/bin/sugar-emulator", line 22, in <module>
>>    from emulator import main
>>  File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/emulator.py", line 31, in <module>
>>    from sugar import env
>> ImportError: No module named sugar
>
> Edward, this is not a Sugar problem, please ask about it on the sugar-ubuntu
> mailing list.

We need a Wiki page with a detailed statement of which bugs and
support questions go on which lists. I think that the current setup
works fine for the developers working in each of the projects
involved, but is hopeless for others, especially newcomers.

> In any case, how did you install sugar, exactly? It works fine for me on a
> fresh intrepid install.

I had Sugar installed, and I upgraded to Intrepid. There was one
dependency error that required me to do a manual package installation,
replacing sugar-datastore with python-olpc-datastore, IIRC.

> Please provide more details.
>
> -lf

And Children are my nation.

Re: Sugar on Ubuntu Intrepid broken

Morgan Collett
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 02:06, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Luke Faraone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 17:07, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> mokurai@mokurai-laptop:~$ sugar-emulator
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>  File "/usr/bin/sugar-emulator", line 22, in <module>
>>>    from emulator import main
>>>  File "/usr/share/sugar/shell/emulator.py", line 31, in <module>
>>>    from sugar import env
>>> ImportError: No module named sugar
>>
>> Edward, this is not a Sugar problem, please ask about it on the sugar-ubuntu
>> mailing list.
>
> We need a Wiki page with a detailed statement of which bugs and
> support questions go on which lists. I think that the current setup
> works fine for the developers working in each of the projects
> involved, but is hopeless for others, especially newcomers.

I agree. I'm not sure where such a page should go - on the supported
systems page? On the page for each distro?

The plan for Ubuntu is that you should log bugs in the Ubuntu
bugtracker, https://launchpad.net - for example,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sugar for Sugar itself.
Please log your issue there so we can track it.

>> In any case, how did you install sugar, exactly? It works fine for me on a
>> fresh intrepid install.
>
> I had Sugar installed, and I upgraded to Intrepid. There was one
> dependency error that required me to do a manual package installation,
> replacing sugar-datastore with python-olpc-datastore, IIRC.

That is a known issue which still needs fixing, ubuntu-sugarteam...

Regards
Morgan

Re: Sugar on Ubuntu Intrepid broken

Walter Bender-4
I think the distro-specific issues should be delegated to the
individual distro pages. The Supported Systems page is a bit of a
tangle right now. Anyone have time to do a reorg?

-walter

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Morgan Collett
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 02:06, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Edward, this is not a Sugar problem, please ask about it on the sugar-ubuntu
>>> mailing list.
>>
>> We need a Wiki page with a detailed statement of which bugs and
>> support questions go on which lists. I think that the current setup
>> works fine for the developers working in each of the projects
>> involved, but is hopeless for others, especially newcomers.
>
> I agree. I'm not sure where such a page should go - on the supported
> systems page? On the page for each distro?
>
> The plan for Ubuntu is that you should log bugs in the Ubuntu
> bugtracker, https://launchpad.net - for example,
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sugar for Sugar itself.
> Please log your issue there so we can track it.
>
>>> In any case, how did you install sugar, exactly? It works fine for me on a
>>> fresh intrepid install.
>>
>> I had Sugar installed, and I upgraded to Intrepid. There was one
>> dependency error that required me to do a manual package installation,
>> replacing sugar-datastore with python-olpc-datastore, IIRC.
>
> That is a known issue which still needs fixing, ubuntu-sugarteam...
>
> Regards
> Morgan

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org

Re: Sugar on Ubuntu Intrepid broken

Erik Blankinship
Perhaps address how Activity authors might need to handle / work
around the different distro specifics on one page, unless the goal is
to have different activity releases per distro.

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Erik Blankinship <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps address how Activity authors might need to handle / work
> around the different distro specifics on one page, unless the goal is
> to have different activity releases per distro.

We think that most of the distro specifics are packaging problems,
specifically missing or incorrect dependencies. So they should be
reported to the distro concerned, except when, on investigation, some
deeper error surfaces. In this case, we have at least two dependency
problems.

o sugar.py or something like that didn't get installed
o sugar-datastore should have been removed automatically, and
python-olpc-datastore installed.

It is possible that correcting these errors will allow others to appear.

There is also an issue with etcinsvk, which does not configure
correctly, and keeps popping up to report its problem during other
installs that modify anything in the /etc directory.

The next question is the workaround for each of these problems. If I
can find out where sugar.py should go, and can get a copy, I can
possibly get Sugar running. The datastores can be dealt with manually
using the normal apt mechanism. The etcinsvk problem is fixed for
Jaunty, and the bug asks for somebody to backport it.

> On 11/27/08, Walter Bender <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think the distro-specific issues should be delegated to the
>> individual distro pages. The Supported Systems page is a bit of a
>> tangle right now. Anyone have time to do a reorg?

+1

>> -walter
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Morgan Collett
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I agree. I'm not sure where such a page should go - on the supported
>>> systems page? On the page for each distro?
>>>
>>> The plan for Ubuntu is that you should log bugs in the Ubuntu
>>> bugtracker, https://launchpad.net - for example,
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sugar for Sugar itself.
>>> Please log your issue there so we can track it.

>>> That is a known issue which still needs fixing, ubuntu-sugarteam...
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Morgan

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 13:52, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Erik Blankinship <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps address how Activity authors might need to handle / work
> around the different distro specifics on one page, unless the goal is
> to have different activity releases per distro.

We think that most of the distro specifics are packaging problems,
specifically missing or incorrect dependencies. So they should be
reported to the distro concerned, except when, on investigation, some
deeper error surfaces. In this case, we have at least two dependency
problems.

o sugar.py or something like that didn't get installed

Sugar-on-ubuntu (fresh intrepid install) works for Morgan and myself, as well as various other testers, so the problem is most likely one of local configuration.

Please try the following:
# sudo apt-get purge sugar sugar-\*
# sudo apt-get install sugar sugar-activities sugar-emulator

o sugar-datastore should have been removed automatically, and
python-olpc-datastore installed.

You've worked around that one, and it's been reported.

-lf

Fwd: Sugar on Ubuntu Intrepid broken

Edward Cherlin
FYI.

Did you mean to send this only to me? My client doesn't say it came
through the list.

--Right.

Oh, and I added that tip to the wiki.

--Thanks.

-lf

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 16:11, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Luke Faraone <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 13:52, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> We think that most of the distro specifics are packaging problems,
> >> specifically missing or incorrect dependencies. So they should be
> >> reported to the distro concerned, except when, on investigation, some
> >> deeper error surfaces. In this case, we have at least two dependency
> >> problems.
> >>
> >> o sugar.py or something like that didn't get installed
> >

> > Sugar-on-ubuntu (fresh intrepid install) works for Morgan and myself, as
> > well as various other testers, so the problem is most likely one of local
> > configuration.
> >
> > Please try the following:
> > # sudo apt-get purge sugar sugar-\*
> > # sudo apt-get install sugar sugar-activities sugar-emulator
>
> Thanks. It worked. Some of the Actvities that couldn't launch or
> launched but were missing essential functions under Xephyr are
> behaving now.
>
> We need to get this on the Wiki, then. Anybody?
>
> >> o sugar-datastore should have been removed automatically, and
> >> python-olpc-datastore installed.
> >
> > You've worked around that one, and it's been reported.
>
> Good.
>
> > -lf
> >

> --
> Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) is my name
> And Children are my nation.
> The Cosmos is my dwelling place, The Truth my destination.
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai

And Children are my nation.

Re: Sugar on Ubuntu Intrepid broken

Tomeu Vizoso-2
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Erik Blankinship <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps address how Activity authors might need to handle / work
> around the different distro specifics on one page, unless the goal is
> to have different activity releases per distro.

Yeah, that's an interesting subject. We have control on the sugar api,
in other words, what activity authors can expect to find that is
specific to sugar. But activities use lots of other, non-sugar,
software like libraries, X, etc How can activity authors know what
their activities can expect in the environments they are run in?

One notable example: many activities developed for the XO depend on
pygame, but I'm not sure it's properly packaged for all distros, and
even then, activities installed as .xo won't be dragging it along. How
can we give a better experience here?

Regards,

Tomeu

> On 11/27/08, Walter Bender <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think the distro-specific issues should be delegated to the
>> individual distro pages. The Supported Systems page is a bit of a
>> tangle right now. Anyone have time to do a reorg?
>>
>> -walter
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Morgan Collett
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I agree. I'm not sure where such a page should go - on the supported
>>> systems page? On the page for each distro?
>>>
>>> The plan for Ubuntu is that you should log bugs in the Ubuntu
>>> bugtracker, https://launchpad.net - for example,
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sugar for Sugar itself.
>>> Please log your issue there so we can track it.

>>> That is a known issue which still needs fixing, ubuntu-sugarteam...
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Morgan