StarTech USB2VGA discontinued--XO laptop to Smart Board ideas?

StarTech USB2VGA discontinued--XO laptop to Smart Board ideas?

Adam Holt-2
1) Both the USB2VGA and USB2VGA2 are now discontinued, to drive projectors (or Smart Boards etc) from an XO laptop:

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Adding_USB_SVGA

Do others recommend holding out with StarTech (buying used for about $15 is certainly an option) or rather, looking to another better-loved-brand in 2016?

2) Does anyone have experience hooking up Linux to classroom Smart Boards?

Is expanding the mouse/pointer size (and requesting an intentionally laggy-mouse-trail in Gnome) sufficient so all kids can vividly follow the projection screen?

Or is it not worth the battle -- for example if similar Windows/Mac drivers/software are so important for classroom-wide usability, and perhaps do not exist for Linux?

Re: [UKids] StarTech USB2VGA discontinued--XO laptop to Smart Board ideas?

Adam Holt-2
On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Tony Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
The problem with projectors and white boards is $. The schools in Rwanda, for example, do not have funds to acquire them.

For sure.  http://www.rwandagirlsinitiative.org/ggast/ is one exception, where Smart Boards seem to pre-installed in this one "magnet" school for Rwanda girls.

We have several Sugar Activities which are designed to enable the laptop screen of connected laptops to show what is on the teacher's screen. This is a cost-free alternative to a projector. Unfortunately due to changes in the underlying software, these activities do not work. I would appreciate anyone who could take on the effort to get these running with the collab-wrapper. Specifically, there are Watch Me, ShowNTell, and the pair Classroom Broadcast and Classroom Viewer.

Great reminder, Thanks!

Re: [UKids] StarTech USB2VGA discontinued--XO laptop to Smart Board ideas?

Adam Holt-2
On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Tony Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, Adam

With help from Gerri Light, the students at ggast are going out to neighboring schools to support the introduction of computing. Naturally, it is
unlikely that they would transport a projector or a whiteboard as part of the kit. (I imagine something like Nathan Riddle's deployment in a bag).

As I recall, the XO-4 has an hdmi port. That should be a practical alternative to access a projector (and, likely, a white board). However, for some reason,
Rwanda is deploying XO-1.75 and not the XO-4. However, if helpful, perhaps Gerri Light could bring an XO-4 on her trip in March.

Great thoughts.
I also got thoughtful feedback from Jeff http://Elkner.net in DC:

"We have Smart Boards in our classrooms where I work, and I've avoided
using them as anything but large projection screens due to the lack of
solid support for GNU/Linux systems.  There are supposed to be drivers
available for 32 bit Ubuntu systems, but I found the obstacles to
setting up the software and (even more importantly) finding the
license information required to use it to be not worth my effort."

Tony

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !
---