Simple stuff I don't know

George Hunt
What is the best way to autoexecute the browser at system boot time? I tried .xsession, and then I realized that there's a lot to learn about Sugar, and asking for advice might be a more direct approach.

Can there be separate paths for Mate and Sugar?

Re: Simple stuff I don't know

James Cameron-2
.xsession can work, if your subshell will give Sugar time to start,
then copy environment variables from the Sugar shell process, then run
sugar-launch.

Don't know a best awy.  Some deployments have used an automatic start
activity.

Re: Simple stuff I don't know

Martin Abente-2
Hey George,

You could:

1) modify the sugar shell to launch it... ie., doing something similar to what was done for the welcome activity.  Or...
2) use the sugar services stuff to launch the activity without having to modify sugar.

I would go for the second option, and simply write a _very_ small sugar service that launches the activity. You can use this simple service as an example [1]. The only thing you really need is to implement the account.py [2] file, where the activity should be launched. You can pretty much ignore the rest.

Regards,

Refs:

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 3:19 PM, James Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:
.xsession can work, if your subshell will give Sugar time to start,
then copy environment variables from the Sugar shell process, then run
sugar-launch.

James,
Thanks for the hints about timing, and environment variables. I'm inclined to continue to explore .xsessions because I think I will have a better chance to manipulate the mate desktop from bash, rather than from python scripts down inside of sugar.

On the sugar desktop side, first experiments show that putting a start job into the background, with sugar-launch, works.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 05:47:17PM -0700, George Hunt wrote:
> Thanks for the hints about timing, and environment variables. I'm
> inclined to continue to explore .xsessions because I think I will
> have a better chance to manipulate the mate desktop from bash,
> rather than from python scripts down inside of sugar.

You'll love Python once you get the hang of it.  ;-)

> On the sugar desktop side, first experiments show that putting a
> start job into the background, with sugar-launch, works.

Good.  I wasn't sure if the environment variables the shell gives to
an activity would turn out to be critical.  Perhaps they are only
needed for the starting animation and Frame and Alt-Tab.

Do add a limited retry.  Sugar can take longer to start sometimes, and
a race condition would be irritating.