Renaming the Telescope activity to Scope

Renaming the Telescope activity to Scope

Anish Mangal-3
Hi,

I have received requests that the Telescope activity [1] be renamed to
Scope, since, off late it has been used in conjunction with not just a
monocular, but small microscope attachments (the kind which were
distributed at the SF summit). In that light, the name Telescope is no
longer widely applicable to the set of applications it is used for.

I could see Telescope and Microscope as two different activities in
the future with different features. For eg, in the Telescope activity
you could have:

1. Dark Frame Subtraction
2. High-Gain Noise Suppression
3. Enabling the camera's night-mode.
4. Crosshairs on the screen

Right now, none of this exists, and I don't have the bandwidth to
develop those features. So, until that happens, I support renaming the
activity to Scope.

Thoughts?

[1] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4481

--
Anish | [hidden email]

Re: Renaming the Telescope activity to Scope

Chris Leonard-3
Anish,

As I recall, this activity was already renamed once from xoscope after
it became clear it was colliding in name space with an oscilloscpe
activity.

http://git.sugarlabs.org/xoscope

I would suggest that in accordance with the Sugar HIG guidance

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines/Activities#Activities_as_Verbs

that a word in verb form be employed as the activity name.

As an example, "Magnify" could apply equally to a telescope or a
microscope and it is a verb, not a noun.

When a decision is made, we will need to work this out in order to
preserve the work done in Pootle and to re-establish the git-Pootle
linkage.  This time around,  I would like to insist that the code be
migrated to a repo with a matching name.  Having the xoscope git repo
connected to the telescope.pot has always had potential for confusion
and this time I want the change done properly.

There are a few other examples of  git/Pootle naming mismatch (e.g.
oficina/paint, etc.) but it has not been worth the effort to revisit
these others so far.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Anish Mangal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have received requests that the Telescope activity [1] be renamed to
> Scope, since, off late it has been used in conjunction with not just a
> monocular, but small microscope attachments (the kind which were
> distributed at the SF summit). In that light, the name Telescope is no
> longer widely applicable to the set of applications it is used for.
>
> I could see Telescope and Microscope as two different activities in
> the future with different features. For eg, in the Telescope activity
> you could have:
>
> 1. Dark Frame Subtraction
> 2. High-Gain Noise Suppression
> 3. Enabling the camera's night-mode.
> 4. Crosshairs on the screen
>
> Right now, none of this exists, and I don't have the bandwidth to
> develop those features. So, until that happens, I support renaming the
> activity to Scope.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> [1] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4481
>
> --
> Anish | [hidden email]

Re: Renaming the Telescope activity to Scope

Anish Mangal-3
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Chris Leonard
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anish,
>
> As I recall, this activity was already renamed once from xoscope after
> it became clear it was colliding in name space with an oscilloscpe
> activity.

Correct.

> http://git.sugarlabs.org/xoscope
>

> I would suggest that in accordance with the Sugar HIG guidance
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines/Activities#Activities_as_Verbs
>
> that a word in verb form be employed as the activity name.
>
> As an example, "Magnify" could apply equally to a telescope or a
> microscope and it is a verb, not a noun.
>
> When a decision is made, we will need to work this out in order to
> preserve the work done in Pootle and to re-establish the git-Pootle
> linkage.  This time around,  I would like to insist that the code be
> migrated to a repo with a matching name.  Having the xoscope git repo
> connected to the telescope.pot has always had potential for confusion
> and this time I want the change done properly.
>
> There are a few other examples of  git/Pootle naming mismatch (e.g.
> oficina/paint, etc.) but it has not been worth the effort to revisit
> these others so far.

+1. Any thoughts on the icon? :-)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> As I recall, this activity was already renamed once from xoscope after
> it became clear it was colliding in name space with an oscilloscpe
> activity.

Renames are a pain in infrastructure, and in upgrade handling for users.

I would say prefer to retain the current name until there's an
overwhelming case for change.

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Anish Mangal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1. Any thoughts on the icon? :-)

I would suggest a stylized version of the classic textbook diagram of
a biconvex lens.

Some examples for inspiration.

http://bit.ly/SLEAAz

Visually distill it down to the lens and a ray or two.

cjl
RJV

Re: Renaming the Telescope activity to Scope

RJV
On the downloads page, the text seems to suggest a camera -

This mode allows the user to view the live image stream from the camera. Furthermore following controls and settings can be set in this mode:

* Capture the image
* Change camera settings like Exposure, Brightness, Contrast etc.
* Delay while capturing the image
* Digitally zoom the live image by 1X, 2X, 3X and 4X

Please clarify as this looks like an impressive activity and I would like to use it in demos.

Anish, can you guide me offline on the types of telescope compatible etc? Thanks!

Regards,

Jv

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Anish Mangal <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ravichandran Jv
http://ravichandranjv.blogspot.com

Re: Renaming the Telescope activity to Scope

Simon Schampijer-2

Am 20.11.2012 um 06:23 schrieb Martin Langhoff <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Chris Leonard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As I recall, this activity was already renamed once from xoscope after
>> it became clear it was colliding in name space with an oscilloscpe
>> activity.
>
> Renames are a pain in infrastructure, and in upgrade handling for users.
>
> I would say prefer to retain the current name until there's an
> overwhelming case for change.

Agreed. A rename should be well thought through. If you do it, agreed with what Chris said, please use a cerb.

Thanks,
   Simon

RJV

Re: Renaming the Telescope activity to Scope

RJV
Hi,

This looks like a great activity to me. I am unable to find what kind of telescopes (in India) can be used and help to this effect on the downloads page as a Readme would be very helpful.

Has anybody used a physical telescope with this activity and what type? Thanks for any response.

Jv

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Simon Schampijer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 20.11.2012 um 06:23 schrieb Martin Langhoff <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Chris Leonard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As I recall, this activity was already renamed once from xoscope after
>> it became clear it was colliding in name space with an oscilloscpe
>> activity.
>
> Renames are a pain in infrastructure, and in upgrade handling for users.
>
> I would say prefer to retain the current name until there's an
> overwhelming case for change.

Agreed. A rename should be well thought through. If you do it, agreed with what Chris said, please use a cerb.

Thanks,
   Simon

> cheers,

> [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
> - ask interesting questions
> - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
> - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

Ravichandran Jv
http://ravichandranjv.blogspot.com

Re: Renaming the Telescope activity to Scope

Gary Martin-2
Hi Jv,

On 23 Nov 2012, at 11:57, RJV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This looks like a great activity to me. I am unable to find what kind of telescopes (in India) can be used and help to this effect on the downloads page as a Readme would be very helpful.
>
> Has anybody used a physical telescope with this activity and what type? Thanks for any response.

Have a look at the learning resources pdf at:

    http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Moon#Learning_Resources

This covers research into a low cost monocular project that Telescope activity was originally aimed at. For Moon observing I have had fair success using a Brunton 10-30x21 monocular. It can be carefully held against the XO bezel over the camera, but that's quite hard work to keep everything still and pointed at the correct location ;) The above project uses a mounting bracket that attaches the monocular firmly to the XO so it is easier to aim. For imaging planets (e.g Jupiter/Saturn with moons) that monocular does not quite get enough light into the camera to show the moons, though I do have a light polluted sky here so you might manage better.

You might also like this shot Sameer Verma tweeted recently:

        https://twitter.com/sameerverma/status/271428793476980736/photo/1

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. I have a collection of Moon test images I should really go upload to the wiki soon...

RJV

Re: Renaming the Telescope activity to Scope

RJV
Thanks, Gary. I must mention here that the Moon activity is one of my favorites.

Having been an astronomy buff, I can understand what the modern sky does to the activity. At times, even Sirius is not visible where I live, where a couple of decades back I and my friends could spot Andromeda or so we believed :)! The polluted sky is probably more assertive here in Delhi !

>>  The above project uses a mounting bracket that attaches the monocular firmly to the XO so it is easier to aim.
Thanks for this very useful info, will try it if I can get hold of a monocular here.

Thanks,

Jv

>> P.S. I have a collection of Moon test images I should really go upload to the wiki soon...
Will look out for them! I am sure I would like to help in anyway if I can with this! :)