Re: [support-gang] Fwd: Re: [UKids] Best GCompris for OLPC OS 13.2.8?

Re: [support-gang] Fwd: Re: [UKids] Best GCompris for OLPC OS 13.2.8?

Adam Holt-2
The following creates 3 Sugar activity icons, on OLPC OS 13.2.8 on an XO-4 laptop, within 30min:
  • Terminal -> su -> "yum install gcompris" -> GCompris-0.31.xo
  • Terminal -> su -> "yum install tuxmath" -> TuxMath-3.1.xo
  • run TuxPaint-6.2.xo
The 3 files ending in .xo are tiny wrappers from Nathan Riddle, run from a USB stick visible in Sugar's Journal, to create the activity icons within Sugar's ring (Home View).

Unfortunately on a fresh 13.2.8 on XO-1 I'm stuck out of the gate.  First Terminal -> su -> "yum install gcompris" failed with the following error about an hour later:

   At least 52MB more space needed on the / filesystem.

Strange as "df -h" showed 89MB available on / and there had been 255MB free on the fresh OS, for a 94M application whose installed size is "139M" but Ok.

So I tried changing /etc/fstab 's /tmp entry from 50m to 200m per George Hunt's suggestion, then rebooting ("df -h" confirms 200MB available on /tmp) then I re-ran Terminal -> su -> "yum install gcompris".  The error about 30min later is:

   At least 53MB more space needed on the / filesystem.

So I tried changing /etc/fstab 's /var/tmp entry from 50m to 200m per Sebastian Silva's suggestion, while reducing /tmp back down from 200M to 50m, then rebooting ("df -h" confirms both) then re-ran Terminal -> su -> "yum install gcompris".  The error about 30min later remains:

   At least 52MB more space needed on the / filesystem.

What should I try next?  (Apologies it must be something simple I'm overlooking, as Nathan Riddle and others have GCompris working very decently on XO-1!)

Re: [support-gang] Fwd: Re: [UKids] Best GCompris for OLPC OS 13.2.8?

Adam Holt-2
On Feb 12, 2017 4:08 PM, "Adam Holt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI those who want TuxMath on XO-1: run Nathan's wrapper (TuxMath-3.1.xo, 126KB) after installing the following on XO-1...

(Without Nathan's wrapper, error "TuxMath failed to start" appears 5 sec after launch, e.g. from Sugar's Journal.)

Still no luck getting GCompris installed on XO-1, but FYI for all Nathan Riddle's 4 wrappers (that clean up activity.info and add an icon for Sugar ring / Home View, for each of Gcompris, TuxMath, TuxPaint, Firefox) are published here:

On Feb 12, 2017 5:01 PM, "Adam Holt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Feb 12, 2017 4:08 PM, "Adam Holt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI those who want TuxMath on XO-1: run Nathan's wrapper (TuxMath-3.1.xo, 126KB) after installing the following on XO-1...

(Without Nathan's wrapper, error "TuxMath failed to start" appears 5 sec after launch, e.g. from Sugar's Journal.)

Ah well I could not reproduce this on the very same XO-1 when cleanly reflashed, an extremely well-tested unit in quite perfect condition.

Possibly yum install of certain libraries is needed, unlike in times past.

Will try to get to the bottom of this all with Nathan Riddle and others in the coming week, to understand what's wrong with the installation recipe!

Certainly frustrating after a week, that I still cannot get a clean install routine for TuxMath & GCompris on 13.2.8 on XO-1...

(At least XO-4 installs are easy!)

Still no luck getting GCompris installed on XO-1, but FYI for all Nathan Riddle's 4 wrappers (that clean up activity.info and add an icon for Sugar ring / Home View, for each of Gcompris, TuxMath, TuxPaint, Firefox) are published here:

Re: Best GCompris for OLPC OS 13.2.8?

James Cameron-2
Yes, the XO-1 JFFS2 NAND filesystem may report less space after the
laptop has been used for a bit.  Fresh install gets the best space.

(Because JFFS2 compresses data when writing, it cannot know how much
free space is available, as because it depends on how compressible the
data is.  So JFFS2 provides an estimate, and the estimate is
pessimistic, and yum takes it at face value.)

Yes, one XO-1 may show different space to another XO-1 freshly
installed.

(Because NAND may have bad blocks that are skipped by JFFS during
reflashing.  You will have noticed these as differently coloured.
Good chance of more bad blocks as the laptops age.)

Yes, removing files apart from Activities and Library won't fix space.

(Because olpc-update keeps a hard link mirror of the filesystem in
/versions, and your changes to removing files won't remove them from
the copy.)

Yes, customising the operating system is really time consuming; we
have instead provided the tools for remastering the operating system,
and these tools are easy to use.  Adding .xo and doing yum installs
are supported.  See OS_Builder on the Wiki.

If you lack resources to do this, then I can assist to a limited
extent, as I did for Haiti in January last year.  Additional benefit
of using me is that the build may be signed, which installs using the
four game key method without having to create deployment keys.

Workaround for yum lack of space is to use .rpm files directly.  Also
much faster.

http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: Best GCompris for OLPC OS 13.2.8?

Adam Holt-2
Thanks James & Nathan.  This "model" XO-1 has 256MB of disk available on fresh install of 13.2.8, which never falls below 240MB when trying many different ways to install the "7+ MB" TuxMath.

So I'm surely doing something wrong, and will keep working on it this week, until I rediscover something like the reliable TuxMath install recipe we had for Haiti earlier.

Then, trying to install the "142+ MB" GCompris will be a different story of course, given its OS library needs installing Tux Paint etc alongside, which may require me deleting the 70+ MB /home/olpc/Library (and other /tmp /var/tmp or swap adjustments?  Nathan also suggests "swapoff -a"  and "rm /var/swap").

I'm traveling today but will rededicate myself to cracking these 2 painful/important obstacles Tuesday onwards!

On Feb 13, 2017 5:02 AM, "James Cameron" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On Feb 13, 2017 7:02 AM, "Tony Anderson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Adam

There are two parts to installing GCompris. Installation of GCompris in Gnome by rpm and installation of the .xo wrapper. The Sugar standard was that activities are responsible for installing their dependencies; however, this has been blurred in recent releases. In any case, it is possible that your process using yum does a double install. Check the size of the installed Sugar wrapper. Look at /home/olpc/Activities/Gcompris.activity (or whatever it is called) and try du -h Gcompris.activity to check its size.

This weekend, GCompris was instsalled on 240 XO-1.5 with 2GB storage with no problem.

Thanks Tony.

I'll work on this Tuesday onwards, also with Nathan's many similar experiences to guide me hopefully :)

Tony

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !
---

Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !
---

Re: Best GCompris for OLPC OS 13.2.8?

What was wrong with my offer?

You're not doing anything wrong; it's just the way it is.

The way yum works; both the downloaded .rpm files and the unpacked
files have to exist at the same time briefly.  yum calculates this
and tells you it won't work.

Removing the swap file will save you no more than 64MB, and will make
the laptop slower afterwards.

If you are insisting, for some reason, on ignoring my recommendations;
let me give you one more to ignore; mount a USB drive over /var so
that yum uses it for the downloaded .rpm files.  That way, the
downloads won't count against the root filesystem space.

http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: Best GCompris for OLPC OS 13.2.8?

Adam Holt-2
I will try all rec's I can, Tuesday after I get home, thanks James for laying out these risks+options.

Removing swap is not something I've tried yet, nor do I want to if this slows down kids' XO-1 experiences.

Of course if pushed to the wall, and there's no other clean recipe, I suppose it's possible Nathan knows a way to delete ~64MB swap and recreate it later after installing GCompris.

http://quozl.netrek.org/