Re: "Failed to start" msg on SoaS on VMware, Virtual Box for screencast

Re: "Failed to start" msg on SoaS on VMware, Virtual Box for screencast

Adam Holt-2
Mark,
Did Fred's tip below help at all?

Can you clarify what version of Memorize you're struggling with in Sugar-on-a-Stick, that is lacking the Create tab you're trying to showcase in the screencast?

On 3/19/2012 8:05 PM, Frederick Grose wrote:
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Mark Battley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all:

As many of you already know, I have been exploring a range of options for screencasts in advance of the April Manual book-sprint in Boston in April. I have experimented with Sugar's Screencast, recordmydesktop and, with emulators on the Mac (a 17" MBP, a 15" MBP, and a 13" MB Air) using  Screenflow.

We are looking at the full spectrum of options, but my immediate question has to do with using SoaS on the emulators, specifically VMware.  The goal here is to get Record working within the emulator, so that we can do screencasts that demonstrate the full capability of Fototoon, Memorize and Scratch working in combination with Record.

I have been using Fedora-16-x86_64-Live-SoaS.iso  (but also experimenting with F16-i686_SoaS_CL-disk1.vmdk)

We have had the most success with VMware:
  • In Virtual Box, in Record, the Mac's mic works, but not the cam.
  • In Parallels, in Record, the Mac's cam works for stills but not video, and the mic is non-functional.
  • In VMware, we have had both cam and mic fully functioning as you can see in this very rough test:
  • http://db.tt/NcPRRkiy

When it works, it works flawlessly.... but as often as not we get this: "Record Failed To Start"

  • We get this "Failed to Start" message on many other Activities, not just Record. Often, by re-launching the 'machine' within VMware, or by re-starting VMware itself, the problem goes away, but often it does not.
  • Any success we have had has been on the MBP 15". We have yet to get it to work reliably on the MBP 17" , and it has never worked on the MB Air 13".
  • This "Failed to Start" has shown up in Virtual Box as well on the MBP 17
Please let me know if any of you have...
1) Experience running SoaS on an emulator on a Mac and have successfully accessed record
2) Have any idea why we are getting the "Failed to Start"  message

One possibility I've experienced is busy networking.  One could use the Log Activity to examine the shell and telepathy logs for evidence.  The failed launch will have a log that might show some information, such as a timeout.

SoaS defaults to using jabber.sugarlabs.org.  Try removing that collaboration server to eliminate this possibility.

          --Fred

Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !