Re: [UKids] re:new member

Adam Holt-2
On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 24 April 2016 at 07:34, Xo Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
[I also use the xo4 indoors in black/white mode because for longer texts reading and writing the monochrome display is more convenient than conventional color displays.
And that already leads to my hardware question, because the contrast in black/white of the Xo4 is not as good as the Xo1. The Xo4 has a darker display than the Xo1. Is there a special reason why the new display is darker?] I would like to use the Lcd of the Xo1 in the Xo4, replacing them. Do you think that works or could there be a problem with the touch function?

The XO-1 screen has no touch function

My recollection is the XO-4 Touch laptop has the same core LCD screen technology as XO-1 except for some physical tabs to make it (the very same 1200x900 LCD's originated from Mary Lou Jepsen & All) fit in a bit differently.

I could be wrong, but possibly these new plastics-or-metallic bits allow the screen to bounce better on dropping of the laptop, to reduce screen shattering?

Certainly the (multi)touch functionality of XO-4 Touch screens arise from IR (InfraRed) sensors that stand physically above the LCD screen by a few millimeters.

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !

Re: [UKids] re:new member

Samuel Greenfeld-2
The XO-4 is the only XO to have been officially sold with a touchscreen option.

XO-4s use the same screen as other XOs, but with an independent infrared touchscreen on top of it.

There were some XO-1.75s that were modified to have more traditional touchscreens to help with Sugar & XO-4 touch development.  These are mostly in the hands of developers, and are rare.

Over time durability enhancements have been made to XOs.  But I don't recall when what changes were made to the display.

In general I would recommend using a newer display with touch XO-4s to reduce the risk of hard presses breaking the screen.

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 11:13 AM, robb <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sure the XO1 has no touch screen but was it the XO1.75 that had an option to have a touch screen? I don know if the xo1.75 and the xo4 have the same dimentions and connectors for the screens? Maybe you could fit an xo1.75 screen on an xo4?

Op 24-04-16 om 15:07 schreef Dave Crossland:

On 24 April 2016 at 07:34, Xo Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to use the Lcd of the Xo1 in the Xo4, replacing them. Do you think that works or could there be a problem with the touch function?

The XO-1 screen has no touch function
--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !
---

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

--
Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !
---

Re: [UKids] re:new member

Martin Langhoff

As Sam says xo-1 screens will work on xo-4 touch units. Disassembly and reassembly of xo4 touch around the screen is delicate, careful with the touchscreen data cable.

Over time we made small changes to the LCD screen but they don't make a big difference. They all fit all production units.

hth,

On 24 Apr 2016 5:46 p.m., "Samuel Greenfeld" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dark or darker display

James Cameron-2
Check the backlight cable.  A darker than normal display is usually caused by backlight cable not properly inserted, in turn caused by shipping or incomplete latch closure.

The XO-4 display has a much brighter backlight.  It proved impossible to find such dark LEDs as used to exist.

http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: Dark or darker display

Hal Murray-2

[hidden email] said:
> The XO-4 display has a much brighter backlight.  It proved impossible to
> find such dark LEDs as used to exist.

Do they take more power or are they more efficient?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Re: Dark or darker display

James Cameron-2
On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 05:53:19PM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> [hidden email] said:
> > The XO-4 display has a much brighter backlight.  It proved
> > impossible to find such dark LEDs as used to exist.

I was hasty.  Let me restate that.  Some XO-1.75 and many XO-4,
especially those produced last year and onwards, have a different
backlight.

Look at the BL manufacturing tag in the firmware SPI Flash to figure
out if you have the new backlight source.

https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12854 has technical details.

> Do they take more power or are they more efficient?

Probably yes to both, but I've not tested.

(i.e. more power, more efficient, more lumens overall, more lumens per watt).

http://quozl.netrek.org/