Re: [Server-devel] help us finalize XS Community Edition version 0.3

Re: [Server-devel] help us finalize XS Community Edition version 0.3

David Farning
On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great to see the hive of activity to get this out stable and usable with features. I tried two installation on a XO 1.75 and they went smoothly - not sure why on 2 occassions the XOs went "blank/dark" before reaching final stage that installation is successful.

I believe that it is related to power management.

> Would try XO 1.0 and 1.5 and 1.75 (with a fast SD card instead) later. Don't have XO-4 for testing :-(
>
> Any good suggestion as to what external USB would fit well for external storage as I am getting one 1TB soon?

Any USB hard drive should work.... Jerry is currently working on it.
The logic to detect and use the hard drive as available space for core
services is not yet complete. Hopefully tomorrow.

> Also what about supporting plug & play AP access with a USB Wireless N USB Adaptor? I had a RPi with 16G Khan Academy and wireless assess on a cheap Adaptor is a breeze. Would love to have less wires - minus the USB-Ethernet adaptor and cables into an external AP.

Ideally this will be possible. Due to our limited resource we are
focusing on the know and well understood platforms of XO-1.75, XO-4,
XO-1.5, XO-1. for 0.3. Hopefully for 0.4 RPi will be an option. The
best way to make hardware happen is to send a few (or a few buck) to
volunteers to purchase and develop/test on your hardware of choice :)

> Pity I could not join for chat. My best wishes to you all hackers!
>
> Cheers

David Farning
Activity Central: http://www.activitycentral.com

Re: [support-gang] [Server-devel] help us finalize XS Community Edition version 0.3

George Hunt
We've made the decision, (hopefully strategic), to focus on getting modularity, and core services to be rock solid.

I think that plug-n-play 3g access would be a great addition to XSCE, and hopefully our new modularity will simplify creation of working plugins from "community edition" contributors.

One of the high leverage next steps for us would be to develop an online tutorial for creating an XSCE plugin service. (so far, it's inadequate. See http://schoolserver.wordpress.com/xs-installation/add-a-service-to-school-server-by-creating-a-plugin/)

George