Re: Replacing internal SD card.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Replacing internal SD card.

Peter Easthope
From: James Cameron quozl at laptop.org, Sat Oct 10 02:56:45 EDT 2015
> The potential difficulties are;
>  ...

Replaced the card yesterday afternoon, installed 13.2.5 and booted with
no problems.

This morning added UnixAos, getmail, swaks.  Then "olpc user > power off"
gives this dialogue.
"A program is still running:
at-spi-registryd.desktop
Not responding
..."

Never heard of at-spi-registryd.desktop.  Choose "shut down anyway."
Boot again and Shut Down again with no dialogue.  The "program still
running" was ephemeral?  Hopefully doesn't happen often.

Regards,                                ... Peter E.






--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202 or  +1 604 822 7107
http://easthope.ca/Peter.html Bcc: peter at easthope. ca

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Replacing internal SD card.

James Cameron-2
On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 12:39:55PM -0700, [hidden email] wrote:
> From: James Cameron quozl at laptop.org, Sat Oct 10 02:56:45 EDT 2015
> > The potential difficulties are;
> >  ...
>
> Replaced the card yesterday afternoon, installed 13.2.5 and booted
> with no problems.

Great.

To look for problems, copy large files to and from the card, a few
million times, measuring the time it takes.

But this kind of test forces the aging of the card, so have an
identical one ready to replace it.

> This morning added UnixAos, getmail, swaks.  Then "olpc user > power
> off" gives this dialogue.
> "A program is still running:
> at-spi-registryd.desktop
> Not responding
> ..."
>
> Never heard of at-spi-registryd.desktop.  Choose "shut down anyway."
> Boot again and Shut Down again with no dialogue.  The "program still
> running" was ephemeral?  Hopefully doesn't happen often.

Then it will probably happen again.  But we don't support UnixAos
here, go somewhere else for that problem.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Replacing internal SD card.

Peter Easthope
On Fri, October 30, 2015 3:41 pm, James Cameron wrote:
> To look for problems, copy large files to and from the card, a few
> million times, measuring the time it takes.
>
> But this kind of test forces the aging of the card, so have an
> identical one ready to replace it.

I'm content to see how the card performs in routine use.

> ... it will probably happen again.  But we don't support UnixAos
> here, go somewhere else for that problem.

UnixAos has worked for years in multiple systems including OLPC.
Never before saw a mention of at-spi-registryd.desktop.  No
unfamiliar problems with UnixAos, getmail or swaks.  Nothing
suggests at-spi-registryd.desktop is connected to any of the three.

at-spi-registryd.desktop is mentioned in several Linux related
forums.  Haven't seen an explanation or solution yet.  Mentioned
only in case it registers with a reader.

If at-spi-registryd.desktop continues to surface, I'll replace the
original SD card and try 13.2.5 with nothing additional.

Regards,                   ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202 or +13606390202 or 12506293757.
Bcc: peter at easthope.ca  http://easthope.ca/Shop.html


_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Replacing internal SD card.

James Cameron-2
On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 07:03:35PM -0500, Peter Easthope wrote:
> On Fri, October 30, 2015 3:41 pm, James Cameron wrote:
> > To look for problems, copy large files to and from the card, a few
> > million times, measuring the time it takes.
> >
> > But this kind of test forces the aging of the card, so have an
> > identical one ready to replace it.
>
> I'm content to see how the card performs in routine use.

Fine, but you did speculate that you had no problems with the card,
and I felt that was very brave, so I gave methods to increase your
certainty.

> > ... it will probably happen again.  But we don't support UnixAos
> > here, go somewhere else for that problem.
>
> UnixAos has worked for years in multiple systems including OLPC.

I don't think your experience is sufficient to determine this.

> Never before saw a mention of at-spi-registryd.desktop.  No
> unfamiliar problems with UnixAos, getmail or swaks.  Nothing
> suggests at-spi-registryd.desktop is connected to any of the three.
>
> at-spi-registryd.desktop is mentioned in several Linux related
> forums.  Haven't seen an explanation or solution yet.  Mentioned
> only in case it registers with a reader.

No readers here for UnixAos.  We don't use at-spi in our builds.

> If at-spi-registryd.desktop continues to surface, I'll replace the
> original SD card and try 13.2.5 with nothing additional.

Don't do that.  It is extremely unlikely that at-spi-registryd has
anything to do with the microSD or SD card.

Instead, work the problem, independently of the hardware.

at-spi is the assistive technology service provider interface of the
GNOME accessibility layer.  Has nothing to do with microSD or SD
cards, and to think it might with no other evidence is very wild
speculation.

Lots of search engine hits for at-spi-registryd.desktop

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Replacing internal SD card.

Peter Easthope
On Fri, October 30, 2015 7:15 pm, James Cameron wrote:
> at-spi is the assistive technology service provider interface
> of the GNOME accessibility layer.

OK, the GNOME environment here is just what came with the OLPC 13.2.5 system.

> We don't use at-spi in our builds.

OLPC GNOME includes at-spi and it is not used.
Or, OLPC GNOME simply doesn't include at-spi?

In the second case, one of the three softwares I added
must have added the at-spi component.

> Lots of search engine hits for at-spi-registryd.desktop

Also,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assistive_Technology_Service_Provider_Interface

OK, thanks; another technology to learn about, =8~)            ...

                        ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202 or +13606390202 or 12506293757.
Bcc: peter at easthope.ca  http://easthope.ca/Shop.html


_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Replacing internal SD card.

James Cameron-2
On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 08:02:44PM -0500, Peter Easthope wrote:
> On Fri, October 30, 2015 7:15 pm, James Cameron wrote:
> > at-spi is the assistive technology service provider interface
> > of the GNOME accessibility layer.
>
> OK, the GNOME environment here is just what came with the OLPC
> 13.2.5 system.

Yeah, but you added UnixAos.

> > We don't use at-spi in our builds.
>
> OLPC GNOME includes at-spi and it is not used.
> Or, OLPC GNOME simply doesn't include at-spi?

It is in the builds, because of GNOME, but we don't use it directly.

> In the second case, one of the three softwares I added
> must have added the at-spi component.
>
> > Lots of search engine hits for at-spi-registryd.desktop
>
> Also,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assistive_Technology_Service_Provider_Interface
>
> OK, thanks; another technology to learn about, =8~)            ...

Yeah.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel