Re: [IAEP] do OLPC browsers support WebRTC microphone audio input?

Re: [IAEP] do OLPC browsers support WebRTC microphone audio input?

Adam Holt-2
Hi Jim,

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Jim Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 11:55 PM, Sam P. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OLPC OS ships with an ancient (2011?) version of WebKitGtk+.  I don't even
> think that the current version supports WebRTC.
>
> Maybe you could run a version of Firefox or chrome on it?

Does anyone out there have Chrome or Firefox compiling on OLPCs?

There was some solid research comparing Firefox 26 and Firefox 50 on XO laptops (particularly on Fedora 18) not so many weeks ago in December and January:

   http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2017-January/thread.html
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Browser_improvements

Rough conclusion seems to be that Firefox 26 is ready-to-go if you want that, but that it would take more work to get Firefox 50 compiling cleanly here?

Also if I recall Nathan Riddle also has a couple further details, that might not have made it into the thread above, so I can put you in contact with him directly if nec?

Re: [IAEP] do OLPC browsers support WebRTC microphone audio input?

James Cameron-2
G'day Jim,

I can recommend our OLPC NL3 with OLPC OS 16.04.2 and Firefox-52 or
Chrome-56 for WebRTC microphone input.

Several other combinations do not work.  Here are details with
footnotes.

- OLPC OS 16.04.2 on NL3 has Sugar Browse-200.1 [A] and Firefox-52
  [W], and can install Chrome-56 [W].

- OLPC OS 13.2.8 on XO-4 has Sugar Browse-157.3 [A], and can install
  Firefox-25 [B].  Chrome is not available.

Footnotes:

Failure mode "A"; pocketsphinx.js acoustic scores demo does not work;
the start button is insensitive.  Because the WebRTC layer does not
support the feature.

Failure mode "B"; "Would you like to share your microphone with
snd95.github.io" is asked, the microphone light turns on, but failure
mode "A" then occurs.

Working mode "W", works fine.

p.s.

Questions about OLPC OS are best posted by subscribing to
[hidden email] as an authoritative source.  Let me know if you
have trouble subscribing.  I expect my reply will be bounced by IAEP.

Thanks to Adam for cross posting and Sam for data about OLPC OS
13.2.8.

http://quozl.netrek.org/