Re (3): low battery shutdown

Peter Easthope
In a second test, using the machine without
external power,  the warningless shutdown happened
at about 25% charge level.

From: Richard Smith <[hidden email]>, Tue, 1 Mar 2016 21:45:14 -0500
> As others have said your battery is probably just showing its age.  1.5
> was built in 2010-2011 so unless you got a new battery its 5 or so years
> old.

The machine was used when I purchased it about
three years ago.  Likely the battery was original
then and I have not replaced it since.  Yes, this
is probably the factory original battery.

> If you do run the capacity test I'd be interested in seeing your results.

I've glanced at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Batman .
Will have to read more carefully before trying
a "capacity test" and collecting any power log.

FWIIW, a full charge in the battery still runs the
machine for more than an hour.

Any comments about having the battery rebuilt
by a local shop vs. trying to buy a replacement?

Thanks,                 ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202

Re: Re (3): low battery shutdown

James Cameron-2
On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 02:34:28PM -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
> In a second test, using the machine without
> external power,  the warningless shutdown happened
> at about 25% charge level.

That's an improvement, but it could be random.

> From: Richard Smith <[hidden email]>, Tue, 1 Mar 2016 21:45:14 -0500
> > As others have said your battery is probably just showing its age.
> > 1.5 was built in 2010-2011 so unless you got a new battery its 5
> > or so years old.
>
> The machine was used when I purchased it about
> three years ago.  Likely the battery was original
> then and I have not replaced it since.  Yes, this
> is probably the factory original battery.

Likely to be showing age.  The battery serial number has a date
embedded in the sequence, in case you want to be sure.

> > If you do run the capacity test I'd be interested in seeing your results.
>
> I've glanced at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Batman .
> Will have to read more carefully before trying
> a "capacity test" and collecting any power log.

Wrong link.  For a capacity test, do not use Batman, but use
olpc-pwr-log from the Terminal activity.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Battery#Capacity_test

> FWIIW, a full charge in the battery still runs the
> machine for more than an hour.

That doesn't sound like much.

> Any comments about having the battery rebuilt
> by a local shop vs. trying to buy a replacement?

Discussions on this have ensued on a private mailing list of
volunteers, hopefully they'll post here some day!

http://quozl.netrek.org/