Python bindings for tinymail, a call for help

Python bindings for tinymail, a call for help

Philip Van Hoof
With the help of Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro, James Livingston and Johan
Dahlin I've been implementing the Python binding work for tinymail.

You can find the source code for this binding work here:

https://svn.tinymail.org/svn/tinymail/trunk/bindings/python

You can find a sample E-mail client written in Python using tinymail
here:

https://svn.tinymail.org/svn/tinymail/trunk/libtinymail-test/tinymail-python-test.py

There's of course room for improvements. The binding indeed still needs
lots of testing. For example testing whether the garbage collector of
Python is doing things right (using overrides, you can tweak that a
little bit). Another example is implementing the sequence protocol for
Python bindings. This would make it possible to use lists returned by
tinymail as Python lists. James already committed some initial work for
this (for example, the list of headers in a folder and the tree of
folders in an account).

If somebody is interested in this, he's of course welcome. If certain
changes mean that it's necessary to make changes to the GObject/C code
of tinymail, know that I'm flexible about that: I believe higher
programming languages are far more important than my GObject/C code.

Like the OLPC team, I can't make promises about whether or not tinymail
will be used on the One Laptop Per Child laptop device.

The primary reason for these Python bindings is indeed acceptance by the
OLPC team. I indeed did this to give them one more reason to consider
tinymail as their E-mail framework. It being free software, this means
other projects and teams will of course enjoy the same bindings.

Know that not being a Python developer myself, I can use some help. I
also can't focus a lot on the Python bindings for a long time.

There's a huge amount of work before tinymail is what I really want it
to be. This doesn't mean that I disrespect Python developers or that I
don't care about them. This simply means that doing a E-mail framework
is a lot work. My ears will be wide open if Python developers tell me
what should change. I'm extremely interested in higher programming
languages and bringing the tinymail framework to developers that use
such programming languages.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be
http://www.pvanhoof.be - http://www.x-tend.be

Re: [OLPC-devel] Python bindings for tinymail, a call for help

Christopher Blizzard
Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> The primary reason for these Python bindings is indeed acceptance by the
> OLPC team. I indeed did this to give them one more reason to consider
> tinymail as their E-mail framework. It being free software, this means
> other projects and teams will of course enjoy the same bindings.

Like I said on irc, the main thing holding back any commitment from us
on this is that we don't know how kids will interact with the system.
The library is nice, but it doesn't give us what we need - a nice,
small, easy to use client.

--Chris

Re: [OLPC-devel] Python bindings for tinymail, a call for help

Ivan Krstić-2
Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> The library is nice, but it doesn't give us what we need - a nice,
> small, easy to use client.

... that integrates with the rest of the system. I spoke to Philip on
IRC; there are things that he can implement in libtinymail that would go
a long way towards resolving our backend e-mail issues (storage,
threading, indexing, etc). If that can get done adequately, I'll feel
comfortable committing to using the library on the backend; the frontend
will wind up in Yellow. Not for October, but certainly ought to by next
year.

Ivan Krstic <[hidden email]> | GPG: 0x147C722D

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 19:53 -0400, Ivan Krstic wrote:
> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> > The library is nice, but it doesn't give us what we need - a nice,
> > small, easy to use client.

Like this one? It's a demo, but functional.

https://svn.tinymail.org/svn/tinymail/trunk/libtinymail-test/tinymail-python-test.py

Nokia (and kernelconcepts) is/are also working on "Modest" which will be
an E-mail client on top of tinymail. It will have the possibility to
attach different user interfaces and different user interface styles.

Modest will be released very soon. Which OSS license it will get is yet
unknown.

> ... that integrates with the rest of the system. I spoke to Philip on
> IRC; there are things that he can implement in libtinymail that would go
> a long way towards resolving our backend e-mail issues (storage,
> threading, indexing, etc). If that can get done adequately, I'll feel
> comfortable committing to using the library on the backend; the frontend
> will wind up in Yellow. Not for October, but certainly ought to by next
> year.

It would be interesting to know what is needed in the tinymail framework
to make it possible to use tinymail this way. So any information or
ideas are very welcome.

Note that one other person has committed himself to creating language
bindings for PHP. Among the language bindings, he will be testing and
investigating what in tinymail needs changes for it to be usable as a
web application (or a framework for such applications).

The same work will of course also be available in the Python bindings.

Ivan Krstic wrote:

> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>> The library is nice, but it doesn't give us what we need - a nice,
>> small, easy to use client.
>
> ... that integrates with the rest of the system. I spoke to Philip on
> IRC; there are things that he can implement in libtinymail that would go
> a long way towards resolving our backend e-mail issues (storage,
> threading, indexing, etc). If that can get done adequately, I'll feel
> comfortable committing to using the library on the backend; the frontend
> will wind up in Yellow. Not for October, but certainly ought to by next
> year.

I think you should explain to people here (including me!) wtf Yellow is.

--Chris

Re: [OLPC-devel] Python bindings for tinymail, a call for help

Ivan Krstić-2
Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> I think you should explain to people here (including me!) wtf Yellow is.

You have no excuse, you were at the meeting :)

I'll post more about it for public consumption soon.

Ivan Krstic wrote:
> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>> I think you should explain to people here (including me!) wtf Yellow is.
>
> You have no excuse, you were at the meeting :)
>
> I'll post more about it for public consumption soon.

Maybe so, but I generally need to hear something 7 times before I learn
it.  Looking forward to your public comments!

--Chris