Project idea: library in a (tiny) box

Christophe Guéret-3
Dear everyone,

We (everyone in Cc + me) have been thinking around the idea of a "library in a box" and would appreciate having some feedback from you all, including suggestions for possible users.

The idea is rather simple and builds on the Pathagar project from Sameer [1]. The goal is to provide a library software that fits into a plug PC or something equivalent, like a RaspberryPi, and has enhanced data sharing capabilities. This software will be targeted at three group of users:
* Librarian
Let them enter the content of their library easily and manage a digital index of the book they have without having to install a software on a desktop computer.
* Teachers
They will be able to build lessons around the books and filter the content. They will also get an overview on which books are downloaded from the library to be read on an XO.
* Readers
They will access the books directly or be able to request physical copies of the books. There will also be a system for sharing comments and ratings about the books.

For the librarian, a web interface will be made available where they can enter new books by typing the ISBN number or filling information manually. OCLC is interested in working on this project and their book catalog, WorldCat, has a lot of information in it. WorldCat, or an offline copy of it, will be used to retrieve the data associated to an ISBN (including ratings, availability of physical copies, etc). This same web interface could be also used by the teachers with some appropriate rendering to focus on the filtering tasks. On the XO, a custom activity would communicate with the plug library via an API.

Does everyone of you know of similar projects and/or existing activities?
Also, are you in touch with users that would be interested in such a boxed library?

Best regards,
Christophe

--
Onderzoeker
+31(0)6 14576494

Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS)
DANS bevordert duurzame toegang tot digitale onderzoeksgegevens.
Kijk op www.dans.knaw.nl voor meer informatie en contactgegevens.
DANS is een instituut van KNAW en NWO.

e-Humanities Group (KNAW)
http://ehumanities.nl/

Re: Project idea: library in a (tiny) box

Sebastian Silva-2
Hey all,
Most of you probably are aware of the Sugar Network project.
We are actively working on it and it involves similar workflows, plus getting feedback from the users and distributing updated software. One concern we have is that we would like the flow of information and knowledge to happen not only from a central repository but also from the periphery inwards. In a country like Perú, where our group is located, with something like 60 native languages, this is vital.
The core of the Sugar Network is a descentralized server and client that handle the sneaker net logic for asynchronic collaboration around a content, projects and sofware repository [1]. It provides an API and multiple front-ends.
This is the work of Aleksey Lim.
Please include me and Laura Vargas (added to cc) in discussions about this topic, so that we may join efforts.
We are the designers/developers of the first front-end [1], designed younger users. We are also the ones who presented the requirements for Sugar Network as a Challenge for Sugar Camp Lima 2011 when this work started, to support the efforts of the local deployment support groups.

Warm regards,
Sebastian

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Network