Porting XO laptops to newer Linux kernels

Porting XO laptops to newer Linux kernels

Samuel Greenfeld-2
It has been a few years (Fedora 18) since the original XO Laptop series has had any sort of major Operating System update.

In order to support newer versions of Systemd, features found in newer versions of the Linux kernel are required.  And from limited exploratory work done years ago, the XO-1 mesh networking & XO-1.5 Camera drivers may need fixing even though they are in upstream kernels.

Are there any low-level kernel developers out there interested in porting XO laptops (both x86 & ARM) to a Linux 4.x kernel or a later 3.x kernel so they can be used with newer Linux distributions?  Or should we presume that all public XO laptop development (apart from minor patching) is officially dead at this point?

I presume hardware can be made available provided someone has the interest.

---
SJG

Re: Porting XO laptops to newer Linux kernels

Peter Robinson
On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 4:28 AM, Samuel Greenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It has been a few years (Fedora 18) since the original XO Laptop series has
> had any sort of major Operating System update.
>
> In order to support newer versions of Systemd, features found in newer
> versions of the Linux kernel are required.  And from limited exploratory
> work done years ago, the XO-1 mesh networking & XO-1.5 Camera drivers may
> need fixing even though they are in upstream kernels.
>
> Are there any low-level kernel developers out there interested in porting XO
> laptops (both x86 & ARM) to a Linux 4.x kernel or a later 3.x kernel so they
> can be used with newer Linux distributions?  Or should we presume that all
> public XO laptop development (apart from minor patching) is officially dead
> at this point?
>
> I presume hardware can be made available provided someone has the interest.

I would love to see someone get it all upstream so we could just
support them in vanilla Fedora. I can send HW but unfortunately I
don't have much time (or ability) to get these bits upstream.

Re: Porting XO laptops to newer Linux kernels

Arne Babenhauserheide-2

Samuel Greenfeld <[hidden email]> writes:

> Are there any low-level kernel developers out there interested in porting
> XO laptops (both x86 & ARM) to a Linux 4.x kernel or a later 3.x kernel so
> they can be used with newer Linux distributions?  Or should we presume that
> all public XO laptop development (apart from minor patching) is officially
> dead at this point?

I am still running an XO-1 with Gentoo (the gentooxo website sadly died,
but I still use what it provided), but I did not get the newer kernels
to run, so I’m currently missing out on many features (including sound).

I’d be willing to try again if I could prod someones brain when I hit
roadblocks. I’m not experienced in low-level kernel development, but
depending on the problems, perspiration might be able to supplant some
missing experience :-)

Best wishes,
Arne
--