Porting Sugar on Android (Ice cream sandwich)

RJV

Porting Sugar on Android (Ice cream sandwich)

RJV
Hi,

We are planning to port Sugar on Android and are faced with these options:

1. Sugar as an application on Android.
2. As a platform on top of the Linux platform.

Can the Sugar build be used to create an app bundle to deploy to the app store? Are there any licensing issues?

On 2., can someone share their experience, if any, please?

Ravichandran J.V.
http://ravichandranjv.blogspot.com
XO 1.75 - 12.1, 0.96, Build 21, Q4D17

Re: Porting Sugar on Android (Ice cream sandwich)

Alexandro Colorado-3
I think Sugar could be something like an alternative gui shell similar cynogen http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM, RJV <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We are planning to port Sugar on Android and are faced with these options:

1. Sugar as an application on Android.
2. As a platform on top of the Linux platform.

Can the Sugar build be used to create an app bundle to deploy to the app store? Are there any licensing issues?

On 2., can someone share their experience, if any, please?

Ravichandran J.V.
http://ravichandranjv.blogspot.com
XO 1.75 - 12.1, 0.96, Build 21, Q4D17

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: Porting Sugar on Android (Ice cream sandwich)

Hi Rajiv,

your plan seems to have good goals, but is missing some understanding
of what you can and cannot do.

You cannot run Sugar (a Python-based window manager, based on
traditional Linux sw stack) on the Android stack. Way too different.

To reach your goals, however, you could try something like...

 - identify what good Android Apps exist that match Sugar Activities,
those you don' t have to port, just replace :-) (ie: don't port
Record!)

 - those Sugar Activities that don't have an Android counterpart,
reimplement them as Android apps

 - Implement a shell -- replacing the standard Android shell -- that
has the main features of Sugar shell

 - Implement some of the key services that make Sugar special: ad-hoc
auto-networking, collaboration stack, the Journal. The most important,
IMO, is the Journal, as Android's handling of "my files" is extremely
poor. All these services will need integration into the shell and
apps.

Alternatively, you can wait for Android/Linux stack convergence
projects (see Jolla / Sailfish) to mature. Maybe in a year or two
there are ways to run Sugar inside Android or Android Apps on a Linux
stack.

hth,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM, RJV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are planning to port Sugar on Android and are faced with these options:
>
> 1. Sugar as an application on Android.
> 2. As a platform on top of the Linux platform.
>
> Can the Sugar build be used to create an app bundle to deploy to the app
> store? Are there any licensing issues?
>
> On 2., can someone share their experience, if any, please?
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ravichandran J.V.
> http://ravichandranjv.blogspot.com
> XO 1.75 - 12.1, 0.96, Build 21, Q4D17

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions
RJV

Re: Porting Sugar on Android (Ice cream sandwich)

Martin Langhoff
I'm sorry! Looks like I misread your name. A faux pass typical of
borderline autistic people -- get all the technical details clearly,
mess up the other person's name.

Hope the technical part was useful. No offense intended.

cheers,

martin

RJV

Re: Porting Sugar on Android (Ice cream sandwich)

RJV
Implement a shell -- replacing the standard Android shell -- that has the main features of Sugar shell

This looks like the nearest to what I hope to achieve - the same experience of the XO on a hand-held device especially the Ad-Hoc networking.

Jv

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Martin Langhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm sorry! Looks like I misread your name. A faux pass typical of
borderline autistic people -- get all the technical details clearly,
mess up the other person's name.

Hope the technical part was useful. No offense intended.

cheers,

martin

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM, RJV <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, Martin. Btw, where did you deduce the name "Rajiv" from? :)
>
> RJv
>
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Martin Langhoff <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Implement a shell -- replacing the standard Android shell -- that
>> has the main features of Sugar shell
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Ravichandran J.V.
> http://ravichandranjv.blogspot.com
> XO 1.75 - 12.1, 0.96, Build 21, Q4D17

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions

Ravichandran J.V.
http://ravichandranjv.blogspot.com
XO 1.75 - 12.1, 0.96, Build 21, Q4D17

Re: Porting Sugar on Android (Ice cream sandwich)

Peter Robinson
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 5:19 AM, RJV <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Implement a shell -- replacing the standard Android shell -- that has the
> main features of Sugar shell
>
> This looks like the nearest to what I hope to achieve - the same experience
> of the XO on a hand-held device especially the Ad-Hoc networking.

If using Sugar on a handheld tablet style device you might also want
to look at running Linux on the tablet device and then you wouldn't
need to deal with the sugar side of it at all. Fedora, on which the XO
OS is based, for example will run find on a number of tablet devices
with some work. With the touch work in the last cycle, that will
continue into the next, it might be an option that might yield the
same eventual wanted outcome.

Peter

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Martin Langhoff <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm sorry! Looks like I misread your name. A faux pass typical of
>> borderline autistic people -- get all the technical details clearly,
>> mess up the other person's name.
>>
>> Hope the technical part was useful. No offense intended.
>>
>> cheers,
>>

>> martin
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM, RJV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Thanks, Martin. Btw, where did you deduce the name "Rajiv" from? :)
>> >
>> > RJv
>> >
>> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Martin Langhoff
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Ravichandran J.V.
>> > http://ravichandranjv.blogspot.com
>> > XO 1.75 - 12.1, 0.96, Build 21, Q4D17
>> >

>> --
>>  [hidden email]
>>  [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
>>  - ask interesting questions
>>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
>>  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Ravichandran J.V.
> http://ravichandranjv.blogspot.com
> XO 1.75 - 12.1, 0.96, Build 21, Q4D17

RJV

Re: [Sugar-devel] Porting Sugar on Android (Ice cream sandwich)

RJV
Yes, Prof. Nagarjunaji, I have heard of your device and was really keen on the opportunity to interact with you over it. Of course, I am not one for reinventing the wheel and hence, the possible steps plus I, too, am more in favor of the 2nd option.

Though, interestingly, Peter Robinson's suggestion makes a lot of sense of having a Fedora when, anyway, there is Linux under.

I will definitely meet up with you in Mumbai when the opportunity comes forth.

"....though touchscreen may have some advantages for some activities.  Second, Sugar learning platform has plenty of activities to offer which are not available on Android currently."

1. Touchscreen opens up a lot of possibilities by way of creating more touchscreen conducive activities that are culture, locale specific. Enabling Touchscreen event for existing activities does not necessarily leverage  the advantage of touch screen in enhancing the existing learning experience and to this regard, I am concerned about the complete picture of enabling a hand-held device to the optimum performance and therefore, this question.

2. Second you totally on the second.

Regards,

RJv

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM, Nagarjuna G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM, RJV <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We are planning to port Sugar on Android and are faced with these options:

1. Sugar as an application on Android.
2. As a platform on top of the Linux platform.

Can the Sugar build be used to create an app bundle to deploy to the app store? Are there any licensing issues?

On 2., can someone share their experience, if any, please?

We are very close to having Sugar on a tablet as well as a armel netbook, based on A10 chipset.  We already have it working through a SD card, we are now in the process of flashing the internal memory, so that it will work fast.  Almost all the hardware on A10 chipset is working with the linux kernel without any binary blobs.

We work in Mumbai.  In case you are around the city, we can meet and discuss how we can work together.

The reason why 1 is not considered for us an option is:  what children need is not a desktop that is meant mainly for delivery of content to play multimedia files and do business communications.  We would like the children to work, do activities using a workspace that can be used with a keyboard, though touchscreen may have some advantages for some activities.  Second, Sugar learning platform has plenty of activities to offer which are not available on Android currently.  and Third, 1 will take a long time than 2.  So we opted for 2.

--
Nagarjuna G.
http://www.gnowledge.org/