OwNet

Martin Lipták
Hi everyone,

We are a group of students from the Slovak University of Technology. Last year we took part in an international competition called Imagine Cup. We created an application, called OwNet, that enables users with poor Internet connection browse the Web more effectively and even offline by providing a local proxy that intelligently caches and prefetches Web pages. It also contains some educational features, as it is intended for schools in Africa.

OwNet is currently being deployed in Kenya, at schools in Nanyuki and Voi. Because of the rules of the Imagine Cup competition, our application is implemented using Microsoft technologies. However, this year we are going to reimplement it using cross-platform technologies so that it can also be used under Linux.

Recently we came across the project OLPC. We find it very interesting and, if possible, we would like to contribute to the project. Could our application be somehow useful to OLPC? Possibly some parts could be integrated into the Sugar interface (e.g. intelligent caching, prefetching or educational features). Since we intend a full reimplementation, we could choose features based on your preference or suggestions.

We would really appreciate your feedback, questions or ideas.

You can also find more information about the project on our website:
http://ownet.fiit.stuba.sk/?l=uk

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
the OwNet team

RE: OwNet

Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn
Sounds good..

Re: OwNet

John Gilmore
> implemented using Microsoft technologies. However=2C this year we are goin=
> g to reimplement it using cross-platform technologies so that it can also b=
> e used under Linux.

Have you heard of the Squid caching proxy for the Web?  Lots of people
at the slow end of an Internet connection use it, including major
ISPs.  It's already written, portable, and debugged.  See:

  http://www.squid-cache.org/

I also see a Sri Lankan effort called Dalesa, that works in both
Windows and Linux:

  http://www.opensource.lk/projects-Dalesa

        John

Re: OwNet

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Martin Lipták <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are a group of students from the Slovak University of Technology. Last
> year we took part in an international competition called Imagine Cup. We
> created an application, called OwNet, that enables users with poor Internet
> connection browse the Web more effectively and even offline by providing a
> local proxy that intelligently caches and prefetches Web pages. It also
> contains some educational features, as it is intended for schools in Africa.

Very interesting. How does that compare, include or interact with ... ?

 - crcsync project
 - wwwoffle

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions