[OLPC-devel] school/town http servers

Carl Robert Blesius
Jim mentioned the http proxy servers in this thread:

http://mailman.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2006-March/000001.html

This is the only public info I could find:

http://wiki.laptop.org/wiki/Software_Ideas#Client.2FServer
http://wiki.laptop.org/wiki/Hardware_Ideas#Server_Version

What is the typical school/city/town server node going to be like
(hardware/cost)?
Where will it be typically located? In a place where electricity/
network is available (e.g. central location has power and a network
connection) or in a place where rolling blackouts are part of life?

What kind of storage and how much more storage will be available on
the server versions?

Are there any plans for centralized web applications (e.g. on the
server nodes) with some kind of synchronization capability?

Carl R. Blesius
(board member of the .LRN Consortium)
see http://dotlrn.org/about/consortium/

[OLPC-devel] school/town http servers

Ivan Krstić-3
Carl Robert Blesius wrote:
> What is the typical school/city/town server node going to be like
> (hardware/cost)?

We intend to offer a 'server mode' for the laptops themselves, which --
given some external storage -- will likely suffice for small schools.
Large schools will likely get dedicated server hardware.

> Where will it be typically located? In a place where electricity/network
> is available

Yes, we're placing the servers in schools which can be expected to have
electricity, although any design should take blackouts into serious
consideration.

> What kind of storage and how much more storage will be available on the
> server versions?

Still undetermined at this point.

> Are there any plans for centralized web applications (e.g. on the server
> nodes) with some kind of synchronization capability?

Definitely.

Ivan Krstic <[hidden email]> | GPG: 0x147C722D

[OLPC-devel] school/town http servers

Jim Gettys-3
On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 01:46 -0400, Carl Robert Blesius wrote:

> Jim mentioned the http proxy servers in this thread:
>
> http://mailman.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2006-March/000001.html
>
> This is the only public info I could find:
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/wiki/Software_Ideas#Client.2FServer
> http://wiki.laptop.org/wiki/Hardware_Ideas#Server_Version
>
> What is the typical school/city/town server node going to be like
> (hardware/cost)?

Depends on the school; schools vary between about 10 students (a number
I heard in Argentina), and 3000 (at least in Thailand).  Beyond having
at least good size disk, I don't think we can easily predict.

More likely that using a laptop as a low end server is to use something
more specifically engineered for such use: Michael Bletsas has
identified at least one such machine.  However, in a pinch, even a
laptop will do (because of the USB 2 interface).

> Where will it be typically located? In a place where electricity/
> network is available (e.g. central location has power and a network
> connection) or in a place where rolling blackouts are part of life?

Yes. ;-)  Though we hope they'll be low enough power that simple
measures can keep them up between power losses.

> What kind of storage and how much more storage will be available on
> the server versions?

Presume a conventional disk of pretty decent size.

> Are there any plans for centralized web applications (e.g. on the
> server nodes) with some kind of synchronization capability?

Yes.

Please help make such a plan with us.

> Carl R. Blesius
> (board member of the .LRN Consortium)