OLPC Video Conference

Paul
Hello from Long Beach, CA
In a master's course for California State University Long Beach, I have been charged with presenting information about the OLPC as it relates to digital culture and society.

The presentation will take place at about 6:30 p.m. Pacific time this November 4th.

It would be wonderful to get the perspective of teachers and students that are using the technology first hand. It would also be exciting to video chat with students and teachers during the presentation.

The idea would be to provide participants with a few interview questions before the conference and then talk for 15 -30 minute during the video chat.

Is any teacher or coordinator interested in speaking with us?
Is there anyone willing to facilitate this type of discussion between our class and a K-12 student or group of students?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated,

Paul Burns

Re: OLPC Video Conference

Adam Holt-2

Paul,

You should definitely drive up to SF for the OLPC community summit this weekend:

   http://olpcsf.org

Several others are on their way from LA, by plane I think.

Read up below as well-

   http://olpcMAP.net
   http://planet.laptop.org

PS many of our most serious community deployments use this mailing list you are free to join, if you're looking to get involved longer term:

   http://groups.google.com/group/unleashkids

On Oct 22, 2015 12:29 PM, "Paul" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Sandra,
Thank you. Would you have any time before then? Maybe I could record our session and show parts of it to the class?

The presentation is meant to give other teachers in the Education Technology and Leadership Masters Program an introduction to the OLPC. It seems most powerful to hear from the participants of the OLPC. While I watched some of the OLPC-SF Conference on 10/23-25, it would be a great opportunity to ask questions of those of you involved directly in the projects.

If you are booked up this week, maybe you'd be willing to describe your experience with the OLPC. I would love to hear how you contribute, your vision, and how your contribution in the project inspires other aspects of your life (i.e. interpersonal, financial, spiritual, professional, emotional, self-expression, leadership, and other qualities that might have been enhanced by your involvement in the OLPC.)

I have been doing a bit of research on
  • the history of the endeavor,
  • understanding the scope of the deployments and the different teams (i.e. OLPC-SF)
  • issues that have arisen around the hardware and software and personnel, and
  • the future of the project including
    • possible new deployments,
    • support for current deployments
    • innovations in hardware and software
  • explored the olpc-map
  • I assume there is a best practices framework for some if not all of the aspects, and guess that the details vary for each deployment.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again,
Paul

Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 10:23:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [Olpc-open] OLPC Video Conference
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]

Hello Paul
   I would love to participate, but I am not available that evening. It would be good to get teachers from our developing countries or urban communities.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Presenting tonight

Paul

Hello,
I am presenting an overview of the OLPC project to classmates in the Educational Technology and Leadership master's program this evening. The general theme of the class is digital culture and society. In addition to the overview, I am relating the global, local, organizational, and personal impacts of OLPC. With that in mind, I would like to hear some personal and organizational perspectives from you all.

Would you please answer any questions that pertain to you?

What are the social and cultural benefits you and your team have witnessed in the ePals program?
What would you say is the greatest impact of the OLPC initiative and your continuing efforts?
Are there any arguments against the OLPC that make your work difficult?

It's important that our class of future educational technology leaders know how to create an OLPC program.

Do you have any advice for anyone who had an interest in staying a program?
How are schools chosen or how do schools apply to be recipients of the OLPC program?
How are you funded? Donations? Do you have a development team?

Thank you in advance,
Paul Burns