OLPC-SF March meeting: Ethiopia

Aaron Borden
Hello folks,

OLPC San Francisco will be hosting our monthly meeting Saturday,
March 11th, from 10AM - 1PM at the downtown SFSU campus, 835 Market
Street, 6th floor, room 609. Please RSVP[1].

This month, the **new** OLPC XO-NL3 Laptop is going to Ethiopia. Come and
see the new device at work. We'll have a discussion with the project
lead Andres Gros of Facebook and project computer expert Sameer Verma of
SFSU. Discussion will be moderated by Alex Kleider.

We will have Ethiopian coffee and light snacks.

Agenda
- Meet and greet
- Ethiopia and the new OLPC XO-NL3 Laptop
- Project updates
- Project working time

Our meetings are held on the second Saturday of every month. Everyone is
welcome to join us for our monthly meeting! We'll be discussing the
latest in OLPC events and give updates on our local (and global)
projects. There will be plenty of XO laptops with the latest builds to
play around with, too.

[1] https://www.eventbrite.com/e/olpc-sf-march-meeting-ethiopia-tickets-8350942895

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/1812685709045722/
Google+ https://plus.google.com/events/c9fkbhafqujutd4bqb1as28il70

Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF March meeting: Ethiopia

Sameer Verma
If you're planning to attend the event in person tomorrow, please RSVP on Eventbrite as soon as possible, so that we may have a good head count.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/olpc-sf-march-meeting-ethiopia-tickets-8350942895

Sameer

On Mar 7, 2017 8:46 AM, "Aaron Borden" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Likely on Hangouts/YouTube at YouTube.com/olpcsf

I'm on the train, getting there, but will ask Aaron to confirm and post update.

Sameer

On Mar 11, 2017 8:18 AM, "Samson Goddy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was thinking about the possibility too. It would be nice to see the live coverage.

On 11 Mar 2017 5:05 pm, "Dave Crossland" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Youtube stream should be here: http://youtube.com/-4-GpTa-pJ0

Sameer

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Sameer Verma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Likely on Hangouts/YouTube at YouTube.com/olpcsf
>
> I'm on the train, getting there, but will ask Aaron to confirm and post
> update.
>
> Sameer
>
> On Mar 11, 2017 8:18 AM, "Samson Goddy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I was thinking about the possibility too. It would be nice to see the live
>> coverage.
>>
>> On 11 Mar 2017 5:05 pm, "Dave Crossland" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Will anyone run a Facebook live video of the presentation? :)
>>
>> On Mar 7, 2017 11:46 AM, "Aaron Borden" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello folks,
>>>
>>> OLPC San Francisco will be hosting our monthly meeting Saturday,
>>> March 11th, from 10AM - 1PM at the downtown SFSU campus, 835 Market
>>> Street, 6th floor, room 609. Please RSVP[1].
>>>
>>> This month, the **new** OLPC XO-NL3 Laptop is going to Ethiopia. Come and
>>> see the new device at work. We'll have a discussion with the project
>>> lead Andres Gros of Facebook and project computer expert Sameer Verma of
>>> SFSU. Discussion will be moderated by Alex Kleider.
>>>
>>> We will have Ethiopian coffee and light snacks.
>>>
>>> Agenda
>>> - Meet and greet
>>> - Ethiopia and the new OLPC XO-NL3 Laptop
>>> - Project updates
>>> - Project working time
>>>
>>> Our meetings are held on the second Saturday of every month. Everyone is
>>> welcome to join us for our monthly meeting! We'll be discussing the
>>> latest in OLPC events and give updates on our local (and global)
>>> projects. There will be plenty of XO laptops with the latest builds to
>>> play around with, too.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://www.eventbrite.com/e/olpc-sf-march-meeting-ethiopia-tickets-8350942895
>>>

>>> Facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/1812685709045722/
>>> Google+ https://plus.google.com/events/c9fkbhafqujutd4bqb1as28il70

Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Professor, Information Systems
San Francisco State University
http://verma.sfsu.edu/

Re: [Olpc-open] [IAEP] OLPC-SF March meeting: Ethiopia

Adam Holt-2
On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Sameer Verma <[hidden email]> wrote:
Youtube stream should be here: http://youtube.com/-4-GpTa-pJ0

Did an alternative URL show up?

No worries, and thanks to Andi for keeping Ethiopia in the OLPC family after many famous attempts over the years ;)

Sameer

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Sameer Verma <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Likely on Hangouts/YouTube at YouTube.com/olpcsf
>
> I'm on the train, getting there, but will ask Aaron to confirm and post
> update.
>
> Sameer
>
> On Mar 11, 2017 8:18 AM, "Samson Goddy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I was thinking about the possibility too. It would be nice to see the live
>> coverage.
>>
>> On 11 Mar 2017 5:05 pm, "Dave Crossland" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Will anyone run a Facebook live video of the presentation? :)
>>
>> On Mar 7, 2017 11:46 AM, "Aaron Borden" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello folks,
>>>
>>> OLPC San Francisco will be hosting our monthly meeting Saturday,
>>> March 11th, from 10AM - 1PM at the downtown SFSU campus, 835 Market
>>> Street, 6th floor, room 609. Please RSVP[1].
>>>
>>> This month, the **new** OLPC XO-NL3 Laptop is going to Ethiopia. Come and
>>> see the new device at work. We'll have a discussion with the project
>>> lead Andres Gros of Facebook and project computer expert Sameer Verma of
>>> SFSU. Discussion will be moderated by Alex Kleider.
>>>
>>> We will have Ethiopian coffee and light snacks.
>>>
>>> Agenda
>>> - Meet and greet
>>> - Ethiopia and the new OLPC XO-NL3 Laptop
>>> - Project updates
>>> - Project working time
>>>
>>> Our meetings are held on the second Saturday of every month. Everyone is
>>> welcome to join us for our monthly meeting! We'll be discussing the
>>> latest in OLPC events and give updates on our local (and global)
>>> projects. There will be plenty of XO laptops with the latest builds to
>>> play around with, too.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://www.eventbrite.com/e/olpc-sf-march-meeting-ethiopia-tickets-8350942895
>>>

>>> Facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/1812685709045722/
>>> Google+ https://plus.google.com/events/c9fkbhafqujutd4bqb1as28il70

Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Professor, Information Systems
San Francisco State University
http://verma.sfsu.edu/

Re: [OLPC-SF] [Olpc-open] [IAEP] OLPC-SF March meeting: Ethiopia

Mike Lee-12
I just watched here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4-GpTa-pJ0

Inspiring!

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Adam Holt <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Sameer Verma <[hidden email]> wrote:
Youtube stream should be here: http://youtube.com/-4-GpTa-pJ0

Did an alternative URL show up?

No worries, and thanks to Andi for keeping Ethiopia in the OLPC family after many famous attempts over the years ;)

Sameer

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Sameer Verma <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Likely on Hangouts/YouTube at YouTube.com/olpcsf
>
> I'm on the train, getting there, but will ask Aaron to confirm and post
> update.
>
> Sameer
>
> On Mar 11, 2017 8:18 AM, "Samson Goddy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I was thinking about the possibility too. It would be nice to see the live
>> coverage.
>>
>> On 11 Mar 2017 5:05 pm, "Dave Crossland" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Will anyone run a Facebook live video of the presentation? :)
>>
>> On Mar 7, 2017 11:46 AM, "Aaron Borden" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello folks,
>>>
>>> OLPC San Francisco will be hosting our monthly meeting Saturday,
>>> March 11th, from 10AM - 1PM at the downtown SFSU campus, 835 Market
>>> Street, 6th floor, room 609. Please RSVP[1].
>>>
>>> This month, the **new** OLPC XO-NL3 Laptop is going to Ethiopia. Come and
>>> see the new device at work. We'll have a discussion with the project
>>> lead Andres Gros of Facebook and project computer expert Sameer Verma of
>>> SFSU. Discussion will be moderated by Alex Kleider.
>>>
>>> We will have Ethiopian coffee and light snacks.
>>>
>>> Agenda
>>> - Meet and greet
>>> - Ethiopia and the new OLPC XO-NL3 Laptop
>>> - Project updates
>>> - Project working time
>>>
>>> Our meetings are held on the second Saturday of every month. Everyone is
>>> welcome to join us for our monthly meeting! We'll be discussing the
>>> latest in OLPC events and give updates on our local (and global)
>>> projects. There will be plenty of XO laptops with the latest builds to
>>> play around with, too.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://www.eventbrite.com/e/olpc-sf-march-meeting-ethiopia-tickets-8350942895
>>>

>>> Facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/1812685709045722/
>>> Google+ https://plus.google.com/events/c9fkbhafqujutd4bqb1as28il70

Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Professor, Information Systems
San Francisco State University
http://verma.sfsu.edu/

Re: [IAEP] [OLPC-SF] [Olpc-open] OLPC-SF March meeting: Ethiopia

Chris Leonard-3
I'd love to get in touch with the speaker to talk about getting any
locally performed Amharic localization upstreamed to our Pootle
server.

https://translate.sugarlabs.org/am/

And to explore the possibility of getting more Amharic, or Oromo
volunteers (possibly ex-pats) working on localization.

I understand that English is the language-of-instruction, but it would
possibly help with bridgi g to English.

cjl