OLPC-SF February meeting

Aaron Borden
Hello,

OLPC San Francisco will be hosting this month's meeting on Saturday,
February 23rd, from 10AM - 1PM at the downtown SFSU campus, 835 Market
Street, Room 553.

Everyone is welcome to join us for our monthly meeting! We'll be
discussing the latest in OLPC events and give updates on our local (and
global) projects. There will be plenty of XO laptops with the latest
builds to play around with, too. Please post with any additional agenda
items.

--
Aaron

Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting

Sameer Verma

I'll bring the Butia robot. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Robotics#Buti.C3.A1_Project

Anybody from Noisebridge (cc'd) interested in joining?

Cheers,
Sameer

On Feb 12, 2013 9:09 AM, "Aaron Borden" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

OLPC San Francisco will be hosting this month's meeting on Saturday,
February 23rd, from 10AM - 1PM at the downtown SFSU campus, 835 Market
Street, Room 553.

Everyone is welcome to join us for our monthly meeting! We'll be
discussing the latest in OLPC events and give updates on our local (and
global) projects. There will be plenty of XO laptops with the latest
builds to play around with, too. Please post with any additional agenda
items.

--
Aaron

Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting

Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn
+1

That wiki entry is a bit old.. Now we don't use Arduino, we use the USB4Butia.
USB4Butia can be home-made build with low cost materials [1]
That means USB4Butia is a "truly free (as in freedom)" board [2]

Regards!

Alan

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:35:22 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting

[...]

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Martin Abente
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 Is there any way to buy an already assembled one? From you or anyone else
> inside the project.

One of the things I want to explore is to see if we can produce these
locally in San Francisco. Hence the cc to noisebridge.

cheers,
Sameer

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> That wiki entry is a bit old.. Now we don't use Arduino, we use the
>> USB4Butia.
>> USB4Butia can be home-made build with low cost materials [1]
>> That means USB4Butia is a "truly free (as in freedom)" board [2]
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/butia/mediawiki/index.php/USB4buti%C3%A1_tutorial
>>
>> [2]
>> http://www.olpcnews.com/use_cases/technology/usb4butia_a_truly_free_as_in_freedom_input_output_board.html
>>
>> Regards!
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> ________________________________
>> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:35:22 -0800
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email];
>> [hidden email]; [hidden email];
>> [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting
>>

>> I'll bring the Butia robot.
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Robotics#Buti.C3.A1_Project
>> Anybody from Noisebridge (cc'd) interested in joining?
>> Cheers,
>> Sameer
>> On Feb 12, 2013 9:09 AM, "Aaron Borden" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> OLPC San Francisco will be hosting this month's meeting on Saturday,
>> February 23rd, from 10AM - 1PM at the downtown SFSU campus, 835 Market
>> Street, Room 553.
>>
>> Everyone is welcome to join us for our monthly meeting! We'll be
>> discussing the latest in OLPC events and give updates on our local (and
>> global) projects. There will be plenty of XO laptops with the latest
>> builds to play around with, too. Please post with any additional agenda
>> items.
>>
>> --
>> Aaron

Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting

Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:36:45 -0800

> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Martin Abente
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > +1 Is there any way to buy an already assembled one? From you or anyone else
> > inside the project.
> >

> One of the things I want to explore is to see if we can produce these
> locally in San Francisco. Hence the cc to noisebridge.
Good!

Now we are using the service of Seeedstudio [1] that makes a good boards.
(Only the board, without any component). Each one for 3 US Dollars if use
the standar shipping.

The others components are "low cost".. the most expensive is the PIC18F4550
but you can found for 4 US Dolars in ebay .
And the RJ45 ports.. I'm not sure of the cost of that.

One clock of 20 mhz ~ 1 dolar..

14 resistences ~ less than 1 dolar

some capacitors.. two buttons.. and one USB port (type B)

that is all! The finished board:

> cheers,
> Sameer
>

> > On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> +1
> >>
> >> That wiki entry is a bit old.. Now we don't use Arduino, we use the
> >> USB4Butia.
> >> USB4Butia can be home-made build with low cost materials [1]
> >> That means USB4Butia is a "truly free (as in freedom)" board [2]
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/butia/mediawiki/index.php/USB4buti%C3%A1_tutorial
> >>
> >> [2]
> >> http://www.olpcnews.com/use_cases/technology/usb4butia_a_truly_free_as_in_freedom_input_output_board.html
> >>
> >> Regards!
> >>
> >> Alan
> >>
> >> ________________________________
> >> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:35:22 -0800
> >> From: [hidden email]
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email];
> >> [hidden email]; [hidden email];
> >> [hidden email]
> >> Subject: Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting
> >>

> >> I'll bring the Butia robot.
> >> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Robotics#Buti.C3.A1_Project
> >> Anybody from Noisebridge (cc'd) interested in joining?
> >> Cheers,
> >> Sameer
> >> On Feb 12, 2013 9:09 AM, "Aaron Borden" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> OLPC San Francisco will be hosting this month's meeting on Saturday,
> >> February 23rd, from 10AM - 1PM at the downtown SFSU campus, 835 Market
> >> Street, Room 553.
> >>
> >> Everyone is welcome to join us for our monthly meeting! We'll be
> >> discussing the latest in OLPC events and give updates on our local (and
> >> global) projects. There will be plenty of XO laptops with the latest
> >> builds to play around with, too. Please post with any additional agenda
> >> items.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Aaron

Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting

Sameer Verma
For all those who were at the OLPC SF meeting today,  Andres Aguirre
tells me that the CAD design will be updated in a few days to the
newest version. The current design is at
http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/butia/mediawiki/index.php/Mec%C3%A1nica_Buti%C3%A1_V1.8

The rest of this email has links to the logic board and the vendor
that makes these online.

Sameer

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> From: [hidden email]
>> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:36:45 -0800
>> To: [hidden email]
>> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email];
>> [hidden email]; [hidden email];
>> [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>
>> Subject: Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Martin Abente
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > +1 Is there any way to buy an already assembled one? From you or anyone
>> > else
>> > inside the project.
>> >

>> One of the things I want to explore is to see if we can produce these
>> locally in San Francisco. Hence the cc to noisebridge.
>
> Good!
>
> Now we are using the service of Seeedstudio [1] that makes a good boards.
> (Only the board, without any component). Each one for 3 US Dollars if use
> the standar shipping.
>
> The others components are "low cost".. the most expensive is the PIC18F4550
> but you can found for 4 US Dolars in ebay .
> And the RJ45 ports.. I'm not sure of the cost of that.
>
> One clock of 20 mhz ~ 1 dolar..
>
> 14 resistences ~ less than 1 dolar
>
> some capacitors.. two buttons.. and one USB port (type B)
>
> that is all! The finished board:
>
> http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/butia/mediawiki/index.php/Archivo:Usb4butia_up_view.jpg
>

> [1] http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/fusion-pcb-service-p-835.html?cPath=185
>

>> cheers,
>> Sameer

Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting

forster@ozonline.com.au
Hi

A little English language documentation on the Butia is:

http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/butia/mediawiki/index.php/Main_page_%28English%29

Tony

> For all those who were at the OLPC SF meeting today,  Andres Aguirre
> tells me that the CAD design will be updated in a few days to the
> newest version. The current design is at
> http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/butia/mediawiki/index.php/Mec%C3%A1nica_Buti%C3%A1_V1.8
>
> The rest of this email has links to the logic board and the vendor
> that makes these online.
>
> Sameer
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> From: [hidden email]
>>> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:36:45 -0800
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email];
>>> [hidden email]; [hidden email];
>>> [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>>
>>> Subject: Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting

>>> One of the things I want to explore is to see if we can produce these
>>> locally in San Francisco. Hence the cc to noisebridge.
>>
>> Good!
>>
>> Now we are using the service of Seeedstudio [1] that makes a good boards.
>> (Only the board, without any component). Each one for 3 US Dollars if use
>> the standar shipping.
>>
>> The others components are "low cost".. the most expensive is the PIC18F4550
>> but you can found for 4 US Dolars in ebay .
>> And the RJ45 ports.. I'm not sure of the cost of that.
>>
>> One clock of 20 mhz ~ 1 dolar..
>>
>> 14 resistences ~ less than 1 dolar
>>
>> some capacitors.. two buttons.. and one USB port (type B)
>>
>> that is all! The finished board:
>>
>> http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/butia/mediawiki/index.php/Archivo:Usb4butia_up_view.jpg
>>

>> [1] http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/fusion-pcb-service-p-835.html?cPath=185
>>

>>> cheers,
>>> Sameer

>>> http://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/proyectos/butia/mediawiki/index.php/USB4buti%C3%A1_tutorial

>>> http://www.olpcnews.com/use_cases/technology/usb4butia_a_truly_free_as_in_freedom_input_output_board.html

> This mail has been virus scanned by Australia On Line
> see http://www.australiaonline.net.au/mailscanning

Re: [IAEP] OLPC-SF February meeting

Andres Aguirre
The latest version is at:
inside there is a pdf file with the correct  tickness of each acrylic part, this descriptions are in spanish, please tell me if you need help with the traslation. Is important to use the correct tickness in order to make the correct insertion of each part.

all the best
andrés