New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Simon Schampijer-2
OLPC build 10.1.3 - 351
=========================

The "rotation" build.

=Builds=
http://build.laptop.org/10.1.3/xo-1/os351
http://build.laptop.org/10.1.3/xo-1.5/os351

=Description of changes in this build=

==sugar*==
* Disable start option for entries that can't be opened #8733 (Mukul
Gupta)
* Cleanup temporary files on startup #10301 (Simon Schampijer)

* restore sugar-launch by bundle id substring, fixes #9189 (James Cameron)
* New go-home icon, needed by Browse #10364 (Gary C Martin)
* Remove shared activity from the neighborhood view when no members left
#10308 (Simon Schampijer)
* Deal with unicode nick names #889 (moved patch from rpm into
repository) (Simon Schampijer)

==olpc-kbdshim==
* dpad rotates wrong #10380

==olpc-powerd==
* avoids resume from suspend when lid opens #10402

==xorg-x11-drv-openchrome==
* Screen rotation support for XO-1.5 #9350

==memorize==
* Game not transferred when loading a created game #10302


=Package changes since build 351=

-olpc-kbdshim-14-1.fc11.i586
+olpc-kbdshim-15-1.fc11.i586
  olpc-library-2.0.4-1.fc11.noarch
  olpc-netutils-0.8-1.fc11.noarch
-olpc-powerd-26-1.fc11.i586
-olpc-powerd-dbus-26-1.fc11.i586
+olpc-powerd-29-1.fc11.i586
+olpc-powerd-dbus-29-1.fc11.i586
  sudo-1.7.2p6-1.fc11.i586
-sugar-0.84.23-1.fc11.i586
-sugar-artwork-0.84.3-1.fc11.i586
+sugar-0.84.24-1.fc11.i586
+sugar-artwork-0.84.4-1.fc11.i586
  sugar-base-0.84.2-1.fc11.i586
  sugar-datastore-0.84.1-1.fc11.i586
-sugar-presence-service-0.84.2-1.fc11.noarch
+sugar-presence-service-0.84.3-1.fc11.noarch
  sugar-toolkit-0.84.13-1.fc11.i586
-xorg-x11-drv-openchrome-0.2.904-6.3.fc11.i586
+xorg-x11-drv-openchrome-0.2.990-1.fc11.i586
  xorg-x11-drv-vesa-2.2.0-3.fc11.i586
  xorg-x11-drv-void-1.2.0-1.fc11.i586
  xorg-x11-filesystem-7.3-4.fc11.noarch
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Peter Robinson
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Simon Schampijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OLPC build 10.1.3 - 351
> =========================
>
> The "rotation" build.

Does this mean rotation works now on the 1.5?

Peter
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Testing] New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Luke Faraone
Administrator
On 10/28/2010 12:43 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Simon Schampijer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> OLPC build 10.1.3 - 351
>> =========================
>>
>> The "rotation" build.
>
> Does this mean rotation works now on the 1.5?

This does:

>> ==xorg-x11-drv-openchrome==
>> * Screen rotation support for XO-1.5 #9350


--
╒═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╕
│Luke Faraone                          ╭Debian / Ubuntu Developer╮│
http://luke.faraone.cc                ╰Sugar Labs, Systems Admin╯│
│PGP: 5189 2A7D 16D0 49BB 046B  DC77 9732 5DD8 F9FD D506          │
╘═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╛


_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Martin Langhoff
In reply to this post by Peter Robinson
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Peter Robinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Simon Schampijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> OLPC build 10.1.3 - 351
>> =========================
>>
>> The "rotation" build.
>
> Does this mean rotation works now on the 1.5?

Sam just pointed out that we're missing a little required bit in the
xorg config file.

To make it work, you need to add a Virtual line. The end of your
/etc/X11/xorg-x1.5-dcon.conf file must look like

    Modes "1200x900" Virtual 1200 900

    EndSubSection

    EndSection

I'll get this on the right rpm for the next build. In the meantime,
you can add it by hand... :-)




m
--
 [hidden email]
 [hidden email] -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions
 - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
 - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

dcastelo
In reply to this post by Simon Schampijer-2
Can I install this 2 GB image in a XO with 8 GB for test purpose?


On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Simon Schampijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
OLPC build 10.1.3 - 351
=========================

The "rotation" build.

=Builds=
http://build.laptop.org/10.1.3/xo-1/os351
http://build.laptop.org/10.1.3/xo-1.5/os351

=Description of changes in this build=

==sugar*==
* Disable start option for entries that can't be opened #8733 (Mukul
Gupta)
* Cleanup temporary files on startup #10301 (Simon Schampijer)

* restore sugar-launch by bundle id substring, fixes #9189 (James Cameron)
* New go-home icon, needed by Browse #10364 (Gary C Martin)
* Remove shared activity from the neighborhood view when no members left
#10308 (Simon Schampijer)
* Deal with unicode nick names #889 (moved patch from rpm into
repository) (Simon Schampijer)

==olpc-kbdshim==
* dpad rotates wrong #10380

==olpc-powerd==
* avoids resume from suspend when lid opens #10402

==xorg-x11-drv-openchrome==
* Screen rotation support for XO-1.5 #9350

==memorize==
* Game not transferred when loading a created game #10302


=Package changes since build 351=

-olpc-kbdshim-14-1.fc11.i586
+olpc-kbdshim-15-1.fc11.i586
 olpc-library-2.0.4-1.fc11.noarch
 olpc-netutils-0.8-1.fc11.noarch
-olpc-powerd-26-1.fc11.i586
-olpc-powerd-dbus-26-1.fc11.i586
+olpc-powerd-29-1.fc11.i586
+olpc-powerd-dbus-29-1.fc11.i586
 sudo-1.7.2p6-1.fc11.i586
-sugar-0.84.23-1.fc11.i586
-sugar-artwork-0.84.3-1.fc11.i586
+sugar-0.84.24-1.fc11.i586
+sugar-artwork-0.84.4-1.fc11.i586
 sugar-base-0.84.2-1.fc11.i586
 sugar-datastore-0.84.1-1.fc11.i586
-sugar-presence-service-0.84.2-1.fc11.noarch
+sugar-presence-service-0.84.3-1.fc11.noarch
 sugar-toolkit-0.84.13-1.fc11.i586
-xorg-x11-drv-openchrome-0.2.904-6.3.fc11.i586
+xorg-x11-drv-openchrome-0.2.990-1.fc11.i586
 xorg-x11-drv-vesa-2.2.0-3.fc11.i586
 xorg-x11-drv-void-1.2.0-1.fc11.i586
 xorg-x11-filesystem-7.3-4.fc11.noarch
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel



--
Ing. Daniel Castelo
Plan Ceibal - Área Técnica
Avda. Italia 6201
Montevideo - Uruguay.
Tel.: 2 601 57 73 Interno 2228
E-mail : [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Martin Langhoff
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Daniel Castelo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can I install this 2 GB image in a XO with 8 GB for test purpose?

Yes. And if you can put the SD card on a different machine you can use
resize2fs on it.



m
--
 [hidden email]
 [hidden email] -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions
 - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
 - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Simon Schampijer-2
On 11/03/2010 01:18 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Daniel Castelo
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Can I install this 2 GB image in a XO with 8 GB for test purpose?
>
> Yes. And if you can put the SD card on a different machine you can use
> resize2fs on it.
>
>
>
> m

Yeah - I have only build the 2GB images for now due to size constraints
on the build machine. Yes, you can install it on a machine with 2GB.
There will be 8GB images soon, too.

Regards,
    Simon
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

dcastelo
I have tried to migrate the "Screen rotation support" fix to our Dextrose version:

I installed:

+olpc-kbdshim-15-1.fc11.i586
+olpc-powerd-29-1.fc11.i586
+olpc-powerd-dbus-29-1.fc11.i586
+xorg-x11-drv-openchrome-0.2.990-1.fc11.i586

And I modified /etc/X11/xorg-x1.5-dcon.conf to add this line:

Virtual 1200 900 (based on Martin's email).

With this steps If I press the rotate button the screen changes, but the behavior is not appropriate.

Do you have any idea? Maybe we have to modify some Sugar packages to have this feature working? (remember that we have a version of sugar based on sugar 0.88).

Regards, Daniel.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Simon Schampijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/03/2010 01:18 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Daniel Castelo
<[hidden email]>  wrote:
Can I install this 2 GB image in a XO with 8 GB for test purpose?

Yes. And if you can put the SD card on a different machine you can use
resize2fs on it.



m

Yeah - I have only build the 2GB images for now due to size constraints on the build machine. Yes, you can install it on a machine with 2GB. There will be 8GB images soon, too.

Regards,
  Simon



--
Ing. Daniel Castelo
Plan Ceibal - Área Técnica
Avda. Italia 6201
Montevideo - Uruguay.
Tel.: 2 601 57 73 Interno 2228
E-mail : [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Paul Fox-2
daniel wrote:
 > I have tried to migrate the "Screen rotation support" fix to our Dextrose
 > version:
 >
 > I installed:
 >
 > +olpc-kbdshim-15-1.fc11.i586
 > +olpc-powerd-29-1.fc11.i586
 > +olpc-powerd-dbus-29-1.fc11.i586
 > +xorg-x11-drv-openchrome-0.2.990-1.fc11.i586
 >
 > And I modified /etc/X11/xorg-x1.5-dcon.conf to add this line:
 >
 > Virtual 1200 900 (based on Martin's email).
 >
 > With this steps If I press the rotate button the screen changes, but the
 > behavior is not appropriate.

not appropriate in what way?

paul

 >
 > Do you have any idea? Maybe we have to modify some Sugar packages to have
 > this feature working? (remember that we have a version of sugar based on
 > sugar 0.88).
 >
 > Regards, Daniel.
 >
 > On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Simon Schampijer <[hidden email]>wrote:
 >
 > > On 11/03/2010 01:18 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
 > >
 > >> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Daniel Castelo
 > >> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
 > >>
 > >>> Can I install this 2 GB image in a XO with 8 GB for test purpose?
 > >>>
 > >>
 > >> Yes. And if you can put the SD card on a different machine you can use
 > >> resize2fs on it.
 > >>
 > >>
 > >>
 > >> m
 > >>
 > >
 > > Yeah - I have only build the 2GB images for now due to size constraints on
 > > the build machine. Yes, you can install it on a machine with 2GB. There will
 > > be 8GB images soon, too.
 > >
 > > Regards,
 > >   Simon
 > >
 >
 >
 >
 > --
 > Ing. Daniel Castelo
 > Plan Ceibal - Área Técnica
 > Avda. Italia 6201
 > Montevideo - Uruguay.
 > Tel.: 2 601 57 73 Interno 2228
 > E-mail : [hidden email]
 > part 2     text/plain                 129
 > _______________________________________________
 > Devel mailing list
 > [hidden email]
 > http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel

=---------------------
 paul fox, [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Martin Langhoff
In reply to this post by dcastelo
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Daniel Castelo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> With this steps If I press the rotate button the screen changes, but the
> behavior is not appropriate.

Grab latest olpc-utils rpm from
http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/public_rpms/10.1.3/ , reboot and retry.

If you still see problems, you gotta tell us more detail.

cheers,



m
--
 [hidden email]
 [hidden email] -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions
 - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
 - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

James Cameron-2
In reply to this post by Martin Langhoff
On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 08:18:39AM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Daniel Castelo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Can I install this 2 GB image in a XO with 8 GB for test purpose?
>
> Yes. And if you can put the SD card on a different machine you can use
> resize2fs on it.

There's no need to use a different machine.  You can boot Tiny Core
from USB and use resize2fs on that.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Dextrose] New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

bernie
In reply to this post by dcastelo
On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 15:02 -0200, Daniel Castelo wrote:

> Do you have any idea? Maybe we have to modify some Sugar packages to
> have this feature working? (remember that we have a version of sugar
> based on sugar 0.88).

Do you have at least sugar-0.88-5.38dxo? It contains this patch:

  sl1725-homewindow-resize-on-resolution-change.patch
  (see also sl#2163)

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://sugarlabs.org/

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Dextrose] New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

bernie
In reply to this post by Martin Langhoff
On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 14:11 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Daniel Castelo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > With this steps If I press the rotate button the screen changes, but the
> > behavior is not appropriate.
>
> Grab latest olpc-utils rpm from
> http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/public_rpms/10.1.3/ , reboot and retry.
>
> If you still see problems, you gotta tell us more detail.

Can you drop this new package in your public_rpms on dev.laptop.org? So
it will appear in the repo from which dextrose pulls.

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://sugarlabs.org/

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Dextrose] New 10.1.3 build os351 for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Simon Schampijer-2
On 11/04/2010 04:50 AM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 14:11 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Daniel Castelo
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> With this steps If I press the rotate button the screen changes, but the
>>> behavior is not appropriate.
>>
>> Grab latest olpc-utils rpm from
>> http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/public_rpms/10.1.3/ , reboot and retry.
>>
>> If you still see problems, you gotta tell us more detail.
>
> Can you drop this new package in your public_rpms on dev.laptop.org? So
> it will appear in the repo from which dextrose pulls.
>

It is now:

http://xs-dev.laptop.org/~dsd/repos/f11/

Regards,
    Simon
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Modifying 353 (xo-1) to apply the dev.laptop.org/ticket/10195 fix

Mikus Grinbergs
In reply to this post by bernie
Bernie - you closed this ticket with "I disabled the mesh on boot and no
further incidents of this type were reported".

Please - how did you disable the mesh on boot ?

I am investigating a situation (on XO-1 353+) that started when I could
not associate to an Access Point - because there were no access points
being displayed in Neighborhood View.  [A second XO-1 in the same room,
running that exact same software, saw those Access Points and connected
fine.]  Non-consistently, eth0 disappears.  After I do 'iwconfig eth0
up', 'iwlist eth0 scan' often shows only "Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00".


I would like to try your "disable the mesh on boot" -- but it appears to
me that it is *after* boot (when Network Manager starts) that the
resources which control the mesh get defined.  I can disable the mesh
after Network Manager has enabled it - but I don't know how to disable
it prior to that point.  How did you "disable the mesh on boot" ?

Thanks,  mikus

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Modifying 353 (xo-1) to apply the dev.laptop.org/ticket/10195 fix

Sascha Silbe-4
Excerpts from Mikus Grinbergs's message of Sat Nov 20 04:15:24 +0100 2010:

> Please - how did you disable the mesh on boot ?

Bernie probably can give more details, but maybe this gets you started
in the meantime:

sascha.silbe@xo15-sascha:~/dextrose/dextrose$ git grep 'mesh$'
modules/custom_scripts/libertas_debug.sh:echo 0       > /sys/class/net/eth0/lbs_mesh

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel

signature.asc (501 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Modifying 353 (xo-1) to apply the dev.laptop.org/ticket/10195 fix

Mikus Grinbergs
> echo 0       > /sys/class/net/eth0/lbs_mesh

I knew this.  The problem is - sometime during boot of my os353 system
that field gets set to 1 (no matter what I've done before) - and when
Network Manager starts, it acts on the non-zero value.

So to make use of this field, I currently need to stop Network Manager,
then reboot, then set lbs_mesh to zero, then start Network Manager.

Even then, although Network Manager does set up interface 'eth0' -- on
the problem 353 os-1 system the output of 'iwlist eth0 scanning' (as
root) shows no WiFi nets -- while on an adjacent (reliable) 353 os-1
system the output of 'iwlist eth0 scanning' (as root) does show them.

My conclusion:  Bernie's solution to the #10195 problem does not in my
case appear to help that misbehaving 'eth0' interface do what I expect.


Thanks,  mikus
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Modifying 353 (xo-1) to apply the dev.laptop.org/ticket/10195 fix

bernie
In reply to this post by Mikus Grinbergs
[cc += dextrose]

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 21:15 -0600, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> Bernie - you closed this ticket with "I disabled the mesh on boot and no
> further incidents of this type were reported".
>
> Please - how did you disable the mesh on boot ?

Like so:

 # enable debug for pgf
 # also disable mesh to see if this makes the bug go away
 cat >>"$INSTALL_ROOT/etc/rc.local" <<__EOF__
 echo 0x26187 > /sys/module/libertas/parameters/libertas_debug
 echo 0       > /sys/class/net/eth0/lbs_mesh
 __EOF__


Btw, I forgot to disable the debug logging in Dextrose! It's no longer
necessary and has a small performance impact on the XO-1.

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://sugarlabs.org/

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Modifying 353 (xo-1) to apply the dev.laptop.org/ticket/10195 fix

Mikus Grinbergs
>> Bernie - you closed this ticket with "I disabled the mesh on boot and no
>> further incidents of this type were reported".
>>  
>> Please - how did you disable the mesh on boot ?
> Like so:
>
>  # enable debug for pgf
>  # also disable mesh to see if this makes the bug go away
>  cat >>"$INSTALL_ROOT/etc/rc.local" <<__EOF__
>  echo 0x26187 > /sys/module/libertas/parameters/libertas_debug
>  echo 0       > /sys/class/net/eth0/lbs_mesh
>  __EOF__

I was troubleshooting a situation where at least two XO-1 systems would
only rarely associate with an AP (and often had no 'eth0').  Despite
trying everything under the sun, I could never determine the cause.

From my experimenting, whether I had mesh enabled or not did not make a
difference in this.  I have since reflashed those systems with newer
builds - and am no longer seeing the "missing 'eth0'" situation.
Perhaps the software in the problem systems had gotten corrupted.


What I __still__ cannot depend upon is for every XO-1 to reliably
associate with an AP.  A symptom that I frequently observe is that
'iwlist eth0 scan' (as root) does not show the radio signals that other
XO_1s do show.  [Wireless debug trace shows the scan is being invoked.]
Looks to me that I will be spending lots more time pursuing "how come".


Bernie, thank you for your help,   mikus

_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Modifying 353 (xo-1) to apply the dev.laptop.org/ticket/10195 fix

James Cameron-2
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 06:42:13AM -0600, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> What I __still__ cannot depend upon is for every XO-1 to reliably
> associate with an AP.  A symptom that I frequently observe is that
> 'iwlist eth0 scan' (as root) does not show the radio signals that other
> XO_1s do show.

Use scan-wifi in OpenFirmware in order to exclude the operating system
configuration from the problem.

If scan-wifi works fine, then it sounds like a Linux software problem.
If scan-wifi also doesn't work, you have a hardware problem.

XO-1 have two antenna connected to the wireless module, each via a
cable, which passes through the hinge of the antenna.

Even if one path is broken, the other will often be working.  An
intermittent fault in the cable may cause inability to scan, depending
on antenna hinge position or history of hinge movements.

Some wireless modules will complete a scan and locate nearby access
points with the antenna cables disconnected.  Some may not.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/
_______________________________________________
Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel
12
Loading...