Keys dying in my XOs

Sebastian Silva-2
Hi,
I have a couple of XO laptops, XO1.5 and XO4, the models with the
non-membrane keyboards, where several keys stopped working.
Is this common? Is there a recommended fix?

Thanks
Regards,
Sebastian

--
I+D SomosAzucar.Org
"icarito" #somosazucar en Freenode IRC

Re: Keys dying in my XOs

James Cameron-2
On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 06:34:44PM -0500, Sebastian Silva wrote:
> I have a couple of XO laptops, XO1.5 and XO4, the models with the
> non-membrane keyboards, where several keys stopped working.
> Is this common? Is there a recommended fix?

I've not seen it happen myself.

I've had no recent reports of it.

We continue to make the keyboards, so I'm interested in any wide
area systemic report, so that I can feed it back into manufacturing.

The array of key switches may be connected in a matrix.  A key switch
that does not release can cause several keys to stop working.

To check for this, use our keyboard self test.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Self_Test
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Self_Test/Keyboard

Re: Keys dying in my XOs

Sebastian Silva-2

On 25/11/15 20:02, James Cameron wrote:
> We continue to make the keyboards, so I'm interested in any wide
> area systemic report, so that I can feed it back into manufacturing.
>
> The array of key switches may be connected in a matrix.  A key switch
> that does not release can cause several keys to stop working.

On my XO1.5 that I got from the peruvian deployment (from the Ministry
of Education), I tested this, and have found there are two "columns" of
keys that don't respond:

F1, 2, w, s, x, <>
and
F8, 8, i, k, ;

It has latinamerican/spanish keyboard.
The right shift key sometimes appears stuck. It is not responding now.
However when within the OS, I'm sure there were other keys as I couldn't
type "l" or "g" keys.

On the XO4 I couldn't figure out how to reach the keyboard self test.
"menu" command in ofw triggers an OS boot selector (linux/android)
instead of the test.

If it helps I believe this may have to do with the fact that we just
moved to the rainforest and have experienced very high temperatures (up
to 40 C) for the past six months.

I can inquire if more people have found this issue at the ministry if
you like.

Regards,
Sebastian

On 25/11/15 20:32, Sebastian Silva wrote:
On the XO4 I couldn't figure out how to reach the keyboard self test.
"menu" command in ofw triggers an OS boot selector (linux/android)
instead of the test.

Ok, sorry, I figured it out now. This wording was confusing to me (or I was too fast):

pressing down the left hand side of the "Rocker switch" to the left of the screen

I was confused be cause I was pressing "down" instead of "left".

Anyway, the result I get is:
All keys seem to work fine, except F1, which appeared stuck in the beginning and now doesn't respond.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 08:32:49PM -0500, Sebastian Silva wrote:

> On 25/11/15 20:02, James Cameron wrote:
> > We continue to make the keyboards, so I'm interested in any wide
> > area systemic report, so that I can feed it back into
> > manufacturing.
> >
> > The array of key switches may be connected in a matrix.  A key
> > switch that does not release can cause several keys to stop
> > working.
>
> On my XO1.5 that I got from the peruvian deployment (from the
> Ministry of Education), I tested this, and have found there are two
> "columns" of keys that don't respond:
>
> F1, 2, w, s, x, <>
> and
> F8, 8, i, k, ;
>
> It has latinamerican/spanish keyboard.  The right shift key
> sometimes appears stuck. It is not responding now.

Thanks for the reply.

These keys not responding suggest either;

- a broken column circuit in the printed circuit underneath the keys,
  e.g. due to impact, corrosion, or latent defect,

- a broken column circuit in the flexible circuit connector, e.g. due
  to thermal cycles over a long life, or foreign substances, or

- damaged keyboard controller chip, due to electrostatic discharge
  carried from fingers.

What you might do;

- disassemble the bottom,
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Disassembly_bottom

- expose the flexible circuit connectors,

- look for mold, fungi, sugar, coffee, or other signs of invasion,

- unclip each cable, clean the connector surface with isopropyl
  alcohol swab, allow to dry, and reclip,

- test before full reassembly.

Given the age of the laptop, there is a risk of breaking the retaining
lever on the connectors.

> However when within the OS, I'm sure there were other keys as I
> couldn't type "l" or "g" keys.

Hmm.  Then it is also possible that key switches are not releasing.

> On the XO4 I couldn't figure out how to reach the keyboard self test.
> "menu" command in ofw triggers an OS boot selector (linux/android)
> instead of the test.

That's odd.  It doesn't happen if I type "menu".  Q7C05.

Either type "test /keyboard" or use the left rocker key on boot to
enter the self test menu.

> If it helps I believe this may have to do with the fact that we just
> moved to the rainforest and have experienced very high temperatures
> (up to 40 C) for the past six months.

Perfect growing conditions.  ;-)

> I can inquire if more people have found this issue at the ministry
> if you like.

I remember now a deployment report that counted the number of
keyboards replaced due to wear.  It was a reasonable percentage, and
seemed to follow a statistical normal distribution over time.

I think there's risk of distorting the statistics if we ask, so I'm
quite willing to hear of statistics but not go look for them.

http://quozl.netrek.org/

Re: Keys dying in my XOs

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 08:40:50PM -0500, Sebastian Silva wrote:

> On 25/11/15 20:32, Sebastian Silva wrote:
>
>     On the XO4 I couldn't figure out how to reach the keyboard self test.
>     "menu" command in ofw triggers an OS boot selector (linux/android)
>     instead of the test.
>
> Ok, sorry, I figured it out now. This wording was confusing to me (or I was too
> fast):
>
> pressing down the left hand side of the "[1]Rocker switch" to the left of the
> screen
>
> I was confused be cause I was pressing "down" instead of "left".

Thanks.

> Anyway, the result I get is:
> All keys seem to work fine, except F1, which appeared stuck in the beginning
> and now doesn't respond.

In the test, hold Q down.  Press E.  If it does not respond, then the
key switch F1 is not releasing.  Tested here.

http://quozl.netrek.org/