Into 2019: XOs Laptops & software upgrades

Into 2019: XOs Laptops & software upgrades

tkkang

Happy New Year.

Good to see the release of 13.2.10 OS for XO1 to XO4. Great work from James and new developers who just keep making it better. With that I hope 2019 can be more productive for deployments still using XOs.

I have a few things I hope to see if he XO can function properly.

1. Can Python 3.6 and above be installed. If Yes how?

    Like to see if this could work https://codewith.mu/en/tutorials/1.0/microbitas           new   Python needed
2. What is the best Firefox version that will load and and run on XO 1.5 to XO4? Need the good HTML 5 support. Currently I could  not run firefox for https://www.edblocksapp.com/toprogram Edison Robot or https://makecode.microbit.org/for Microbits

3. Ways to load restricted so

Re: Into 2019: XOs Laptops & software upgrades

James Cameron-2
On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 10:26:30PM -0500, tkkang wrote:

> Happy New Year.
>
> Good to see the release of 13.2.10 OS for XO1 to XO4. Great work from James and
> new developers who just keep making it better. With that I hope 2019 can be
> more productive for deployments still using XOs.
>
> I have a few things I hope to see if he XO can function properly.
>
> 1. Can Python 3.6 and above be installed. If Yes how?

On an XO-4 running OLPC OS 13.2.10, the latest version of Python,
which is 3.7.2, does build like this;

yum install -y gcc make zlib-devel
./configure
make
make install

Here's the interactive interpreter running;

Python 3.7.2 (default, Jan  3 2019, 08:52:48)
[GCC 4.7.2 20121109 (Red Hat 4.7.2-8)] on linux

However, there are other optional dependencies that should be
installed first, so that the build has all the features possible.  The
Fedora 18 source package for python3 has a good starting point for
dependencies.

>     Like to see if this could work [1]https://codewith.mu/en/tutorials/1.0/
> microbitas           new   Python needed

mu may need other dependencies.  You may need to experiment for
several iterations.

> 2. What is the best Firefox version that will load and and run on XO 1.5 to
> XO4? Need the good HTML 5 support.

Firefox installed by yum does have "good" HTML 5 support, but the
sites you refer to may require more than that.

http://quozl.netrek.org/