Initiative and networking equipment

David Syk
Hi,

I've been watching the OLPC project from a distance since 2008 or 2009 when i first read about it.
It sure is amazing!

I havent had time to read all documentation and mail-threads, but from what i can understand there might be some need out there for network equipment such as ADSL2 -DSLAM's, switches and WiFi equipment.
Given the right circumstances i might be able to help with that.

I'm not talking about hundreds of switches or access-points, but to begin with at least some of the equipment used for world scout jamboree 2011 in Sweden, http://www.worldscoutjamboree.se/ and possibly other sponsors.

If there is some smaller deployment out there that could benefit from this, drop me a line and describe your needs.

--
Best regards,
David Syk

Re: Initiative and networking equipment

Kevin Mark

I've been watching the OLPC project from a distance since 2008 or 2009 when i first read about it.
It sure is amazing!

I havent had time to read all documentation and mail-threads, but from what i can understand there might be some need out there for network equipment such as ADSL2 -DSLAM's, switches and WiFi equipment.
Given the right circumstances i might be able to help with that.

I'm not talking about hundreds of switches or access-points, but to begin with at least some of the equipment used for world scout jamboree 2011 in Sweden, http://www.worldscoutjamboree.se/ and possibly other sponsors.

If there is some smaller deployment out there that could benefit from this, drop me a line and describe your needs.

Hi from a support-gang member (one of various olpc volunteers)!
If I understand your message, you might have used computer equipment to offer?
OLPC's efforts involve independent pilot projects and larger government-supported efforts. So we would have to 'get the word out' to the various groups and see who needs equipment and the logistics of getting it from 'point A' to 'point B'. There are people in various parts of Africa, South America, India, Australia, etc. who might be interested. Some might need power strips, WAPs, Hubs, etc.
-Kev

Re: Initiative and networking equipment

David Syk-2
Hi,

If I understand your message, you might have used computer equipment to offer?
That is correct, i guess that what might be most bang for the buck is networking equipment and perhaps servers (if there is a need?).
A first batch of equipment could contain;
Cisco Catalyst 2950 Switch (24p 10/100 and 2*1ge fixed cupper uplink, ws-c2950t-24)
Cisco Catalyst 2950 Switch (48p 10/100 and 2*1ge fixed multimode (mtrj), ws-c2950sx-48)
Paradyne Bitstream 2600 ADSL2+ DLSAMs (24port ADSL2+, up to 26mbps)
Cisco Multimode GBICs
HP DL380g4 servers
Cisco AP 1010 and 1020

Once i get a feeling for whats needed i might be able to find a sponsor for that stuff.

OLPC's efforts involve independent pilot projects and larger government-supported efforts. So we would have to 'get the word out' to the various groups and see who needs equipment and the logistics of getting it from 'point A' to 'point B'. There are people in various parts of Africa, South America, India, Australia, etc. who might be interested. Some might need power strips, WAPs, Hubs, etc.

It seems that logistics might have been solved by a friend of mine, but it all depends on what stuff to send, and where...
So if you hear about any pilot project in the need of network equipment, drop me a line, or drop them a line and tell them about me.

Best regards,
David Syk