Initial tests of Activities, as shipped, on a New XO-1.5

Initial tests of Activities, as shipped, on a New XO-1.5

satellit
Attached is an OpenOffice.org Calc spreadsheet of my initial testing of
activities on a new XO-1.5

All activities started and functioned well.
The Only exception being Maze where I could not get the ball to move.
(May be my lack of understanding of the application)

I used a wireless connection to an apple airport extreme (type 2)
( Alphabetical Wep connection)
The Control Panel/Software Updates worked and updated 3 activities.

Jabber.sugarlabs.org was not responding so I could not test these functions

Note: I tested all of the activities listed in sequence in the F3 list
view.
This almost borked the XO-1.5.
the memory became almost full and responses became very lethargic.
I had to go to the journal and delete each entry, one at a time. A very
slow process.
There needs to be a way to select by group checking the "stars" in the
journal to allow
group deletions from the journal. There was also no warning of the
impending lockup.
I believe some of these issues have been addressed in the software I
will be testing on this Loaned
XO-1.5 [1]

No collaboration testing has been done in this initial set of tests.
I plan to test against my XO-1 (G1G1) currently running os439dg and
My Collection of Netbooks running sugar native and as Virtual Box
Appliances.

Tom Gilliard
satellit on freenode IRC
Bend Oregon

[1]
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/Dextrose2_testing_with_a_loaned_XO-1.5

XO-1.5-Activity Tests.ods (32K) Download Attachment

Re: [Testing] Initial tests of Activities, as shipped, on a New XO-1.5

Luke Faraone
Administrator
On 03/02/2011 08:34 AM, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:
> The Control Panel/Software Updates worked and updated 3 activities.

So the activities weren't "as shipped", right?

> Note: I tested all of the activities listed in sequence in the F3 list
> view.
> This almost borked the XO-1.5.
> the memory became almost full and responses became very lethargic.
> I had to go to the journal and delete each entry, one at a time. A very
> slow process.

Perhaps you left the activities open, rather than closing them? I don't
think having journal entries should slow down Sugar that much.

--
Luke Faraone;; Debian & Ubuntu Developer; Sugar Labs, Systems
lfaraone on irc.[freenode,oftc].net -- http://luke.faraone.cc

Luke Faraone wrote:
On 03/02/2011 08:34 AM, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:

The Control Panel/Software Updates worked and updated 3 activities.

So the activities weren't "as shipped", right?

This was the original set of activities.
There is a separate column on the spreadsheet for the updates (3) which also worked.
I wanted a benchmark of what is shipped stock. The XO-1.5 arrived yesterday

Note: I tested all of the activities listed in sequence in the F3 list
view.
This almost borked the XO-1.5.
the memory became almost full and responses became very lethargic.
I had to go to the journal and delete each entry, one at a time. A very
slow process.

Perhaps you left the activities open, rather than closing them? I don't
think having journal entries should slow down Sugar that much.

No. I closed each one after testing. switched to f3 list view and started the next one.
Did this all the way down list. Then did update from control panel and tested them.
The Download of Darwin's Origin of the species.pdf and one picture, video (10sec) and sound recording from record
may have also added to the load in the journal. But this is not unusual usage for someone exploring a new Computer.

Re: Initial tests of Activities, as shipped, on a New XO-1.5

Hi Thomas,

depending on various logistics, the laptop you received may havebeen
manufactured a while ago (and have an old OS image on it).

So "I just received it" is a good picture of the emotional state, but
not of the software state... you gotta tell us what OS build is in it
:-)

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Thomas C Gilliard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Attached is an OpenOffice.org Calc spreadsheet of my initial testing of
> activities on a new XO-1.5
>
> All activities started and functioned well.
> The Only exception being Maze where I could not get the ball to move.
> (May be my lack of understanding of the application)
>
> I used a wireless connection to an apple airport extreme (type 2)
> ( Alphabetical Wep connection)
> The Control Panel/Software Updates worked and updated 3 activities.
>
> Jabber.sugarlabs.org was not responding so I could not test these functions
>
> Note: I tested all of the activities listed in sequence in the F3 list view.
> This almost borked the XO-1.5.
> the memory became almost full and responses became very lethargic.
> I had to go to the journal and delete each entry, one at a time. A very slow
> process.
> There needs to be a way to select by group checking the "stars" in the
> journal to allow
> group deletions from the journal. There was also no warning of the impending
> lockup.
> I believe some of these issues have been addressed in the software I will be
> testing on this Loaned
> XO-1.5 [1]
>
> No collaboration testing has been done in this initial set of tests.
> I plan to test against my XO-1 (G1G1) currently running os439dg and
> My Collection of Netbooks running sugar native and as Virtual Box
> Appliances.
>
> Tom Gilliard
> satellit on freenode IRC
> Bend Oregon
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/Dextrose2_testing_with_a_loaned_XO-1.5

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions

Re: Initial tests of Activities, as shipped, on a New XO-1.5

Gary Martin-2
On 2 Mar 2011, at 13:34, Thomas C Gilliard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Attached is an OpenOffice.org Calc spreadsheet of my initial testing of activities on a new XO-1.5
>
> All activities started and functioned well.
> The Only exception being Maze where I could not get the ball to move.
> (May be my lack of understanding of the application)
>
> I used a wireless connection to an apple airport extreme (type 2)
> ( Alphabetical Wep connection)
> The Control Panel/Software Updates worked and updated 3 activities.
>
> Jabber.sugarlabs.org was not responding so I could not test these functions
>
> Note: I tested all of the activities listed in sequence in the F3 list view.
> This almost borked the XO-1.5.
> the memory became almost full and responses became very lethargic.
> I had to go to the journal and delete each entry, one at a time.

Could you confirm low storage space was the issue? Perhaps some activity is being mischievous on exit and not freeing up resources? It sounds more like low ram, or a hung process eating CPU. If some activity is indeed creating massive Journal entries, eating large chunks storage space it should be reported as a bug otherwise it'll likely trigger many maintenance issues.

One other possibility is a ram leak in Sugar, we did have one just prior to a release a year or so back, but that was discovered and fixed just in time for the GM (each activity launch consumed some memory that it didn't release). You could test for this by repeatedly resuming and stopping a simple Activity (I usually used Moon), while keeping an eye on top running in Terminal.

> A very slow process.
> There needs to be a way to select by group checking the "stars" in the journal to allow
> group deletions from the journal.

The stars are for marking favourites (currently used for quick filtering from the Journal toolbar). There are a number of design mockup for a Journal with multi select support, using a column of check boxes and showing a new group operation toolbar seems to have most support last time it was discussed. It's a fairly invasive chunk of Journal work and last time this came up there were not enough resources to tackle it.

Regards,
--Gary

> There was also no warning of the impending lockup.
> I believe some of these issues have been addressed in the software I will be testing on this Loaned
> XO-1.5 [1]
>
> No collaboration testing has been done in this initial set of tests.
> I plan to test against my XO-1 (G1G1) currently running os439dg and
> My Collection of Netbooks running sugar native and as Virtual Box Appliances.
>
> Tom Gilliard
> satellit on freenode IRC
> Bend Oregon
>
> [1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/Dextrose2_testing_with_a_loaned_XO-1.5
>

> <XO-1.5-Activity Tests.ods>

Re: Initial tests of Activities, as shipped, on a New XO-1.5

Martin Langhoff
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Gary Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One other possibility is a ram leak in Sugar,

We believe there is one in current Sugar (0.84~0.92), likely related
to neighbourhood view.

   http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10386

Very slow leak -- but there. If you boot an XO-1 in a location where
it can see many APs, and leave it overnight, the system is unusably
slow, OOM kills activities, etc. Present on 1.5 but takes longer to be
end-user-visible...

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions

Re: Initial tests of Activities, as shipped, on a New XO-1.5

Rafael Ortiz
H Tom.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Thomas C Gilliard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Attached is an OpenOffice.org Calc spreadsheet of my initial testing of activities on a new XO-1.5

All activities started and functioned well.
The Only exception being Maze where I could not get the ball to move.
(May be my lack of understanding of the application)

Regarding Maze what version are you testing? ..the ball should move with the arrow keys.

[...]

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Rafael Ortiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
H Tom.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Thomas C Gilliard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Attached is an OpenOffice.org Calc spreadsheet of my initial testing of activities on a new XO-1.5

All activities started and functioned well.
The Only exception being Maze where I could not get the ball to move.
(May be my lack of understanding of the application)

Regarding Maze what version are you testing? ..the ball should move with the arrow keys.

Ah ok..I see it in the .calc. :P. please Test with latest version (8)

Martin Langhoff wrote:
Hi Thomas,

depending on various logistics, the laptop you received may havebeen
manufactured a while ago (and have an old OS image on it).

So "I just received it" is a good picture of the emotional state, but
not of the software state... you gotta tell us what OS build is in it
:-)

It is on the attached .ods spreadsheet : )
Build 852
Firmware Q3A58
Sugar 0.84.16
Wireless;9.70.7p0

Cheers

[hidden email] wrote:

[...]

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Thomas C Gilliard
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is on the attached .ods spreadsheet : )
> Build 852

And that build is actually 10.1.2? What does cat /etc/issue say?

If it is 10.1.2, then you really want to test 10.1.3 instead, and file
bugs at dev.laptop.org .

Testing 10.1.3 or the dev builds for 11.2.0 and filing bugs about it
in dev.l.o is *very* useful for OLPC ;-)

 [hidden email] -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions

Re: Initial tests of Activities, as shipped, on a New XO-1.5

Richard A. Smith
On 03/02/2011 08:34 AM, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:
> Attached is an OpenOffice.org Calc spreadsheet of my initial testing of
> activities on a new XO-1.5

Did you test while on battery or on external power?  If you were on
battery and power management was enabled the the log files in your
power-logs directory would be useful to me.

Thats pretty much a blanket statement for everyone doing any sort of
testing for say .5h or more.  Run on battery enable power management and
send me a copy of the logs in power-logs dir when you are done.

Even better if you _use_ the XO for extended periods on battery and have
power management enabled then I'm also interested in your power-logs.

Both XO-1 and XO 1.5

Thanks.

--
Richard A. Smith  <[hidden email]>