Image sizes on the wiki was: working hard @ Boston's

FGrose
On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Christoph Derndorfer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 8:31 PM, S Page <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 16:07, Christoph Derndorfer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> If jumping over these extra hurdles bring a lot of value and can be described
> in simple terms then I'm all for it

Good point.  I see you're writing "MISSING IMAGE", that's fine too.
My alternative lets a writer show a placeholder image, see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Skierpage#Placeholder_images . Either
way makes it easy to find missing images.

I documented both under http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Help_Activity_refresh#Images

I notice the instructions say 800px wide screenshots. I think it's
faster/better to leave them at 1200 wide and tell the HTML or markup
to display them smaller.

Hi there,

thanks a lot for adding the instructions to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Help_Activity_refresh#Images, much appreciated.

As for the width of the screenshots we chose the 800px wide because that works well for consumption on the XOs (as it leaves plenty of space for a menu, etc.).

When a 1200x900 pixel image is uploaded to the wiki and then displayed at an alternate size, such as with the [[File:Screenshot wanted.png|800px|ActivityName screenshot]] wiki code, then the wiki resizes and saves a .png copy of the image at 800 pixel width in an /images/thumb/ branch folder.
See, for example, all the sizes saved here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/thumb/9/95/Journal_tag_mockup_frm_gary_v1.png/

(Direct navigation to the thumb branches on wiki.laptop.org has been blocked.  One only sees the message, "
Down for upgrades. Come back tomorrow!")

The 120px and 320px images are saved for the thumbnail and preview on the File page.  The others are generated when a new cropping width is requested by some wiki code.  This allows the wiki server to cache the images for better performance.  This also means that the XO laptop, or any browser does not need to process the original image size.

       --Fred

I see little value in keeping the 1200px wide version (with the exception of reducing one step in the image work) as we can't count on having the manpower to do extensive post-processing, resizing of all images, funky exporting, etc. once everyone leaves here in just over 48 hours...

Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]

Re: [support-gang] Image sizes on the wiki was: working hard @ Boston's

Christoph Derndorfer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> If jumping over these extra hurdles bring a lot of value and can be described
> in simple terms then I'm all for it

Good point.  I see you're writing "MISSING IMAGE", that's fine too.
My alternative lets a writer show a placeholder image, see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Skierpage#Placeholder_images . Either
way makes it easy to find missing images.

I documented both under http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Help_Activity_refresh#Images

I notice the instructions say 800px wide screenshots. I think it's
faster/better to leave them at 1200 wide and tell the HTML or markup
to display them smaller.

Hi there,

thanks a lot for adding the instructions to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Help_Activity_refresh#Images, much appreciated.

As for the width of the screenshots we chose the 800px wide because that works well for consumption on the XOs (as it leaves plenty of space for a menu, etc.).

When a 1200x900 pixel image is uploaded to the wiki and then displayed at an alternate size, such as with the [[File:Screenshot wanted.png|800px|ActivityName screenshot]] wiki code, then the wiki resizes and saves a .png copy of the image at 800 pixel width in an /images/thumb/ branch folder.
See, for example, all the sizes saved here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/thumb/9/95/Journal_tag_mockup_frm_gary_v1.png/

(Direct navigation to the thumb branches on wiki.laptop.org has been blocked.  One only sees the message, "
Down for upgrades. Come back tomorrow!")

The 120px and 320px images are saved for the thumbnail and preview on the File page.  The others are generated when a new cropping width is requested by some wiki code.  This allows the wiki server to cache the images for better performance.  This also means that the XO laptop, or any browser does not need to process the original image size.

Hi Fred,

sorry for the slow reply.

Re-reading your message now I'm not sure what exactly you're suggesting here. It sounds to me like getting the thumbails out of the wiki afterwards is a bigger hassle than taking the 15 seconds it takes to resize the original image and upload that one. Or am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Christoph

       --Fred

I see little value in keeping the 1200px wide version (with the exception of reducing one step in the image work) as we can't count on having the manpower to do extensive post-processing, resizing of all images, funky exporting, etc. once everyone leaves here in just over 48 hours...

Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]

Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]

Re: [support-gang] Image sizes on the wiki was: working hard @ Boston's

Samuel Klein
I think it is easier to just upload the high res version once, even if
you explicitly mean to use one of the smaller versions for some
offline project.

Fred - you are right that the /directory trees/ of thumbnails are now
not browsable,but all of the individual thumbnails are world-readable.
http://wiki.laptop.org/images/thumb/6/6c/Green_and_white_machine.jpg/150px-Green_and_white_machine.jpg

SJ

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Frederick Grose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Christoph Derndorfer
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> thanks a lot for adding the instructions
>>> to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Help_Activity_refresh#Images, much appreciated.
>>>
>>> As for the width of the screenshots we chose the 800px wide because that
>>> works well for consumption on the XOs (as it leaves plenty of space for a
>>> menu, etc.).
>>

>> When a 1200x900 pixel image is uploaded to the wiki and then displayed at
>> an alternate size, such as with the [[File:Screenshot
>> wanted.png|800px|ActivityName screenshot]] wiki code, then the wiki resizes
>> and saves a .png copy of the image at 800 pixel width in an /images/thumb/
>> branch folder.
>> See, for example, all the sizes saved here:
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/thumb/9/95/Journal_tag_mockup_frm_gary_v1.png/
>>
>> (Direct navigation to the thumb branches on wiki.laptop.org has been
>> blocked.  One only sees the message, "Down for upgrades. Come back
>> tomorrow!")
>>
>> The 120px and 320px images are saved for the thumbnail and preview on the
>> File page.  The others are generated when a new cropping width is requested
>> by some wiki code.  This allows the wiki server to cache the images for
>> better performance.  This also means that the XO laptop, or any browser does
>> not need to process the original image size.
>

> Hi Fred,
>
> sorry for the slow reply.
>
> Re-reading your message now I'm not sure what exactly you're suggesting
> here. It sounds to me like getting the thumbails out of the wiki afterwards
> is a bigger hassle than taking the 15 seconds it takes to resize the
> original image and upload that one. Or am I missing something here?
>
> Thanks,
> Christoph
>

>>        --Fred
>>
>>> I see little value in keeping the 1200px wide version (with the exception
>>> of reducing one step in the image work) as we can't count on having the
>>> manpower to do extensive post-processing, resizing of all images, funky
>>> exporting, etc. once everyone leaves here in just over 48 hours...
>>>
>>> Christoph
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christoph Derndorfer
>>>
>>> volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
>>> editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
>>> contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]
>>>
>>> e-mail: [hidden email]

> Christoph Derndorfer
>
> volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
> editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
> contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]
>
> e-mail: [hidden email]

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [support-gang] Image sizes on the wiki was: working hard @ Boston's

Christoph Derndorfer
Okay, noted.

I'll try to keep that in mind as I work on some of my remaining chapters. Though in general we probably won't get people to recreate all their screenshots in the original size again so we'll have to work with what we've got.

Cheers,
Christoph

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Frederick Grose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Christoph Derndorfer
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> thanks a lot for adding the instructions
>>> to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Help_Activity_refresh#Images, much appreciated.
>>>
>>> As for the width of the screenshots we chose the 800px wide because that
>>> works well for consumption on the XOs (as it leaves plenty of space for a
>>> menu, etc.).
>>

>> When a 1200x900 pixel image is uploaded to the wiki and then displayed at
>> an alternate size, such as with the [[File:Screenshot
>> wanted.png|800px|ActivityName screenshot]] wiki code, then the wiki resizes
>> and saves a .png copy of the image at 800 pixel width in an /images/thumb/
>> branch folder.
>> See, for example, all the sizes saved here:
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/thumb/9/95/Journal_tag_mockup_frm_gary_v1.png/
>>
>> (Direct navigation to the thumb branches on wiki.laptop.org has been
>> blocked.  One only sees the message, "Down for upgrades. Come back
>> tomorrow!")
>>
>> The 120px and 320px images are saved for the thumbnail and preview on the
>> File page.  The others are generated when a new cropping width is requested
>> by some wiki code.  This allows the wiki server to cache the images for
>> better performance.  This also means that the XO laptop, or any browser does
>> not need to process the original image size.
>

> Hi Fred,
>
> sorry for the slow reply.
>
> Re-reading your message now I'm not sure what exactly you're suggesting
> here. It sounds to me like getting the thumbails out of the wiki afterwards
> is a bigger hassle than taking the 15 seconds it takes to resize the
> original image and upload that one. Or am I missing something here?
>
> Thanks,
> Christoph
>

>>        --Fred
>>
>>> I see little value in keeping the 1200px wide version (with the exception
>>> of reducing one step in the image work) as we can't count on having the
>>> manpower to do extensive post-processing, resizing of all images, funky
>>> exporting, etc. once everyone leaves here in just over 48 hours...
>>>
>>> Christoph
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christoph Derndorfer
>>>
>>> volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
>>> editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
>>> contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]
>>>
>>> e-mail: [hidden email]

> Christoph Derndorfer
>
> volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
> editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
> contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]
>
> e-mail: [hidden email]

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          <a href="tel:%2B1%20617%20529%204266" value="+16175294266">+1 617 529 4266

--
Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]

Re: [support-gang] Image sizes on the wiki was: working hard @ Boston's

Tom Mitchell
Thank you
Down converting is almost easy, the reverse is not.
The network and browser impact is real.

$ convert Pictures/Beach/dsc_1556.jpg -scale 5% ./thumbnails/Beach==dsc_1556.jpg
$ ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1  me me 5798595 2012-04-04 18:29 ./Pictures/Beach/dsc_1556.jpg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 me me 61503    2012-04-22 14:51 ./thumbnails/Beach==dsc_1556.jpg

  T o m   M i t c h e l l