Error on XO4 update to 32016o4.zd

Sebastian Silva-2
Hello OLPC devs,

I tried to update an XO4 touch to 32016o4.zd. It looked like it went
fine, but...

It won't boot, with the following error (see image attached).

Hints are very welcome. Impatient young one around.

:-)

--
I+D SomosAzucar.Org
"icarito" #somosazucar en Freenode IRC

error.JPG (110K) Download Attachment

Re: Error on XO4 update to 32016o4.zd

Gonzalo Odiard
Do you have the XO connected to the charger?

Gonzalo

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Sebastian Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello OLPC devs,

I tried to update an XO4 touch to 32016o4.zd. It looked like it went
fine, but...

It won't boot, with the following error (see image attached).

Hints are very welcome. Impatient young one around.

:-)

--
I+D SomosAzucar.Org
"icarito" #somosazucar en Freenode IRC
"Nadie libera a nadie, nadie se libera solo. Los seres humanos se liberan en comunión" - P. Freire

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Software for children learning

Re: Error on XO4 update to 32016o4.zd

Sebastian Silva-2
Yes.
The "sad face battery" icon has remained a mystery on this laptop. It refused to update firmware last time I updated as well, but it did boot.

I tried with a different battery and the problem persists.

Thanks

Sebastian

On 20/04/15 11:17, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
[...]

If you can access the ok prompt (bios) you can try "test /battery"
to see if provide more information.
In my xo, with the charger disconnected show:
AC:off Battery: BYD LiFePO4 91% 6.25V -0.58A 22.8C discharging

and with the charger connected show:
AC:on Battery: BYD LiFePO4 91% 7.02V 2.01A 22.8C charging

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Sebastian Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gonzalo,

I did finally find a reference to this error:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO-4_Touch#Software_upgrade_considerations

Refusal to update EC code

When upgrading from old software versions, Open Firmware may refuse to update the EC firmware, showing a battery icon with a bad face on every boot, and logging the following messages over serial and during verbose boot:

 EC command result timeout
 Skipping EC reflash, not enough power

This is due to a change in how OFW gets battery status. To solve this, with a charged battery and external power connected, run at the ok prompt:

 update-ec-flash

That did the trick. It upgraded it's various firmwares and now it did boot.
I should've searched for the error message before asking.

Thanks for all your help.

Sebastian