Duolingo and literacy

C. Scott Ananian-3

I'm in a presentation by Luis von Ahn, founder of DuoLingo, and I asked him if he had any plans to expand to literacy.

He replied that they will be releasing a "reading and typing" (not writing, which he thought had poor ROI) app next year.

This makes me extremely excited.
  --scott

PS. I should have followed up re: teaching English literacy directly rather than teaching a native language first.

Re: Duolingo and literacy

Gonzalo Odiard
DuoLingo is one of the few interesting projects about learning in the last years :/

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 7:58 PM, C. Scott Ananian <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm in a presentation by Luis von Ahn, founder of DuoLingo, and I asked him if he had any plans to expand to literacy.

He replied that they will be releasing a "reading and typing" (not writing, which he thought had poor ROI) app next year.

This makes me extremely excited.
  --scott

PS. I should have followed up re: teaching English literacy directly rather than teaching a native language first.

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Software [for | by] children learning

Re: Duolingo and literacy

C. Scott Ananian-3

SJ and I did get a chance to follow up with him afterward and suggest that they might considering teaching English literacy directly to non-native speakers (as we did in our Ethiopia pilot, rather than only teaching students in their native language; of course DuoLingo doesn't support a large number of languages, so allowing folks to skip directly to English would greatly increase their reach).  They are big on A/B tests and quantification over there, I think we convinced him it was an interesting hypothesis to test.

SJ asked how one could help with the literacy effort and he gave us some contract information.  If any of the OLPC crew is interested, drop me (or SJ) a line and we'll try to hook you up.

I think they might actually be able to make a significant dent in the literacy problem.
  ----scott