Dropped jhbuild support for Fedora 8 and Ubuntu 7.10

Dropped jhbuild support for Fedora 8 and Ubuntu 7.10

Release Team-2
Gadget requires a more recent version of glib than those shipped by these distro. The policy would be to keep support for 2 stable versions of Fedora and Ubuntu. Both new stable are going to be released pretty soon, so I hope this won't be too much of an issue.

I turned off the Fedora 8 buildbot. I'll upgrade it to F10 when time permits (and I'm confident it's stable enough to not require too much maintenance).

Marco

Re: Dropped jhbuild support for Fedora 8 and Ubuntu 7.10

Reinier Heeres
Marco,

Support for Ubuntu 8.04 also seems to have been dropped (in http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=sugar-jhbuild;a=commitdiff;h=9cc90cdeaf8670a00dd2a3999239a7c0abf2ed24).

Is this necessary due to unavailable packages or something? It is a LTS release (and I'm still using it). Also I think people are probably still using F9.

Regards,
Reinier

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
Gadget requires a more recent version of glib than those shipped by these distro. The policy would be to keep support for 2 stable versions of Fedora and Ubuntu. Both new stable are going to be released pretty soon, so I hope this won't be too much of an issue.

I turned off the Fedora 8 buildbot. I'll upgrade it to F10 when time permits (and I'm confident it's stable enough to not require too much maintenance).

Marco

Reinier Heeres
Waalstraat 17
2515 XK Den Haag
The Netherlands

Tel: +31 6 10852639

Re: Dropped jhbuild support for Fedora 8 and Ubuntu 7.10

Marco Pesenti Gritti-3
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Reinier Heeres <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Marco,
>
> Support for Ubuntu 8.04 also seems to have been dropped (in
> http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=sugar-jhbuild;a=commitdiff;h=9cc90cdeaf8670a00dd2a3999239a7c0abf2ed24).
>
> Is this necessary due to unavailable packages or something?

Yeah, unfortunately it's necessary because of some depencies, ccing
Tomeu which made those changes and can better explain.

Marco

Re: Dropped jhbuild support for Fedora 8 and Ubuntu 7.10

Tomeu Vizoso-2
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:41, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Reinier Heeres <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Marco,
>>
>> Support for Ubuntu 8.04 also seems to have been dropped (in
>> http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=sugar-jhbuild;a=commitdiff;h=9cc90cdeaf8670a00dd2a3999239a7c0abf2ed24).
>>
>> Is this necessary due to unavailable packages or something?
>
> Yeah, unfortunately it's necessary because of some depencies, ccing
> Tomeu which made those changes and can better explain.

My take on this is that the GNOME platform (including fd.o) is moving
rather quickly now to better serve projects like Sugar and if we don't
get to use the latest versions we are left stuck without many goodies.

Perhaps we could go back to build gtk, pygtk, etc inside jhbuild as we
used to do a year ago? Should be pretty easy for someone like Reinier
to restore and maintain support for Ubuntu Hardy, I think.

Regards,

Tomeu

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps we could go back to build gtk, pygtk, etc inside jhbuild as we
> used to do a year ago? Should be pretty easy for someone like Reinier
> to restore and maintain support for Ubuntu Hardy, I think.

If someone wants to maintain config and sysdeps that would be great, I
don't have time to do it myself though, sorry :(

Marco

Re: Dropped jhbuild support for Fedora 8 and Ubuntu 7.10

Morgan Collett
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:54, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Perhaps we could go back to build gtk, pygtk, etc inside jhbuild as we
>> used to do a year ago? Should be pretty easy for someone like Reinier
>> to restore and maintain support for Ubuntu Hardy, I think.
>
> If someone wants to maintain config and sysdeps that would be great, I
> don't have time to do it myself though, sorry :(

I'm no longer on hardy, so I can't maintain it directly, but I'm happy
to help if someone wants to own that.

Regards
Morgan