Document sprint

forster@ozonline.com.au
Hi

it was suggested in IRC that this list was the best place for asynchronous contribution to the sprint, so I have subscribed.

my understanding from IRC was that the best format for the master document (from which secondary documents such as web sites, in Activity help, print book etc could be derived) is minimally formatted html with svg illustrations (svg because you can automatically separate the text and translate it)

thanks all
I look forward to contributing
Tony

2012 Doc Sprint Plan [jump in on library@lists.laptop.org !]

Adam Holt-2
Tony, we're so lucky to have you!  So many contributors coming online
for Apr 6-10, more than we expected by far, how great can that be!  Make
sure all others participating in this Doc Marathon are also subscribed
to followup discussions on [hidden email] here:

Yesterday's planning chat transcript posted here -- please all read it
and share your feedback:

     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/2012_Doc_Sprint_Planning_Chat

In quick summary, recommendations we came up with, that others will clarify:

     1. Tool Chain - permitting almost anyone to write a relevant "Chapter"

         Rather than FLOSS Manuals, "chapters" will be hosted at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org and http://wiki.laptop.org using WISYWIG
plugins (SJ&BernieI will each try to install today)
         Chapters MUST abide by Style Guide to be posted today, so
screenshots/grammar flow (Seth & Christoph)
         SVG "screenshots" may permit faster internationalization
(WalterB researching)
         TOC Draft to be posted to etherpad BEFORE we start 10AM EDT
Friday (SethW, CarylB, ChristophD)

     2. Table of Contents - focusing on XO/Sugar's massive progress in 4
years, with some bonus XS, Learning/Lesson Ideas - NOT a deployment
guide, but something succinct+snappy, dare we say approachable+fun?!

         HW Section
         Core Sugar/Gnome ( greatest need to date, given Sugar's
transformed since Aug 2008's http://laptop.org/manual )
         Core Sugar Activities
         Sugar Learning Activities

     3. Artifacts - We Will Deliver in HTML:

         http://laptop.org/manual ~= Help Activity ~= per-Activity
"chapters" hip Sugar Activities might later incorporate (YES)
         WikiText/WikiMarkup "chapters" (YES, wherever we can, though
writers will be free to compose on Google Docs, etherpad, Floss
Manuals/Booki/Book Type, etc)
         Print Book? (NO, while universally desired, and may arise later
for Jamaica etc, NOT this week's project!)

Schedule will be consolidating+evolving fast here in Boston the coming
day as Seth Woodworth and all of us fine-tune -- thanks everyone for
bookmarking & editing & checking our wiki home base right here often!

     http://j.mp/xomanual

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !

1PM TODAY: Doc Sprint LUNCH @ 2nd Street Cafe

Adam Holt-2
Oops I forgot to invite all, just 1 block East of our War Room @ OLPC today!

     2nd Street Cafe
     89 2nd St
     Cambridge, MA

Place is wonderful, Menu is cheap if you get the great soup specials:

     http://2ndStCafe.com/fullmenu
     http://yelp.com/biz/2nd-street-cafe-cambridge

On 4/5/2012 8:58 AM, Holt wrote:

> Tony, we're so lucky to have you!  So many contributors coming online
> for Apr 6-10, more than we expected by far, how great can that be!
> Make sure all others participating in this Doc Marathon are also
> subscribed to followup discussions on [hidden email] here:

> Yesterday's planning chat transcript posted here -- please all read it
> and share your feedback:
>
>     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/2012_Doc_Sprint_Planning_Chat
>
> In quick summary, recommendations we came up with, that others will
> clarify:
>
>     1. Tool Chain - permitting almost anyone to write a relevant
> "Chapter"
>
>         Rather than FLOSS Manuals, "chapters" will be hosted at
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org and http://wiki.laptop.org using WISYWIG
> plugins (SJ&BernieI will each try to install today)
>         Chapters MUST abide by Style Guide to be posted today, so
> screenshots/grammar flow (Seth & Christoph)
>         SVG "screenshots" may permit faster internationalization
> (WalterB researching)
>         TOC Draft to be posted to etherpad BEFORE we start 10AM EDT
> Friday (SethW, CarylB, ChristophD)
>
>     2. Table of Contents - focusing on XO/Sugar's massive progress in
> 4 years, with some bonus XS, Learning/Lesson Ideas - NOT a deployment
> guide, but something succinct+snappy, dare we say approachable+fun?!
>
>         HW Section
>         Core Sugar/Gnome ( greatest need to date, given Sugar's
> transformed since Aug 2008's http://laptop.org/manual )
>         Core Sugar Activities
>         Sugar Learning Activities
>
>     3. Artifacts - We Will Deliver in HTML:
>
>         http://laptop.org/manual ~= Help Activity ~= per-Activity
> "chapters" hip Sugar Activities might later incorporate (YES)
>         WikiText/WikiMarkup "chapters" (YES, wherever we can, though
> writers will be free to compose on Google Docs, etherpad, Floss
> Manuals/Booki/Book Type, etc)
>         Print Book? (NO, while universally desired, and may arise
> later for Jamaica etc, NOT this week's project!)
>
> Schedule will be consolidating+evolving fast here in Boston the coming
> day as Seth Woodworth and all of us fine-tune -- thanks everyone for
> bookmarking & editing & checking our wiki home base right here often!
>
>     http://j.mp/xomanual

>> Hi
>>
>> it was suggested in IRC that this list was the best place for
>> asynchronous contribution to the sprint, so I have subscribed.
>>
>> my understanding from IRC was that the best format for the master
>> document (from which secondary documents such as web sites, in
>> Activity help, print book etc could be derived) is minimally
>> formatted html with svg illustrations (svg because you can
>> automatically separate the text and translate it)
>>
>> thanks all
>> I look forward to contributing
>> Tony
>
> --
> Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !

Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !

Re: Document sprint

Christoph Derndorfer
Hi Tony,

unfortunately it seems like SVG screenshots of Activities aren't going to happen this time around so we'll mostly have to rely on "regular" screenshots.

Other than that: Some of us are already at OLPC offices and working on a variety of preparations. :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

it was suggested in IRC that this list was the best place for asynchronous contribution to the sprint, so I have subscribed.

my understanding from IRC was that the best format for the master document (from which secondary documents such as web sites, in Activity help, print book etc could be derived) is minimally formatted html with svg illustrations (svg because you can automatically separate the text and translate it)

thanks all
I look forward to contributing
Tony

Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]

Re: Document sprint

Chris Leonard-3
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> unfortunately it seems like SVG screenshots of Activities aren't going to
> happen this time around so we'll mostly have to rely on "regular"
> screenshots.

Please plan ahead and try to take screenshots in parallel in English
and Spanish (at least), I am pretty sure a Spanish translation of this
will be performed at some point and having screenshots from an XO set
for lang-es would be very desirable.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator

Re: Document sprint

Christoph Derndorfer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> unfortunately it seems like SVG screenshots of Activities aren't going to
> happen this time around so we'll mostly have to rely on "regular"
> screenshots.

Please plan ahead and try to take screenshots in parallel in English
and Spanish (at least), I am pretty sure a Spanish translation of this
will be performed at some point and having screenshots from an XO set
for lang-es would be very desirable.

Hi,

thanks a lot for reminding us about the importance of localization.

We are currently trying to figure out how to set up a process which allows us to easily to that. e.g. we have to figure out whether we want to have 1~2 "image coordinators" who are reponsible for things such as taking, editing, and preparing screenshots or whether we can to do that in a distributed fashion...

Cheers,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer

volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]

Re: [support-gang] style guide (Re: 2012 Doc Sprint Plan [jump in on library@lists.laptop.org !])

Christoph Derndorfer
On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 3:25 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>          Rather than FLOSS Manuals, "chapters" will be hosted at
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org and http://wiki.laptop.org using WISYWIG
> plugins (SJ&BernieI will each try to install today)

>          Chapters MUST abide by Style Guide to be posted today, so
> screenshots/grammar flow (Seth & Christoph)

There is already a style guide for the wiki,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC:Style_guide , and Help Activity Refresh
wasn't following it.

* Don't use H1 headings, i.e. start with == My heading ==, not =This
appears as H1=. The page title is an H1, and should be the only one on the
page.

* Don't overcapitalize. Only capitalize the first word of a title.
Section headings like "Procedures on Porting/Assembling the Manual into
Help Activity" just sound Officious and Wordy.  "Help Activity" is
arguably appropriate capitalization, but other words should not be
capitalized.
I fixed these, if anyone strongly disagrees you can revert, but man up and
change the style guide.

Looking at laptop.org/manual, it's inconsistent. Its Chapter titles
Capitalize Each Word, but sections Only capitalize the first word, like
the wiki.  (The Flossmanuals house style turns the entire TOC into AN
ILLEGIBLE ALL CAPS WHITE ON ORANGE, but that's a separate issue).

Good luck with the doc sprint!  I'll try to check in and offer wiki help.

Personally I'm for option #4 "Lots of Capitalized Words" but maybe that's just my native German determining my thinking... ;-)

Christoph